The Elephant in the Room- Ennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
so is your theory that des tells our hookers to not give good service or not run if they have a roll on?, can you put that in a sentence that makes any sense please

for example "ok lichaa, dont give good crisp passes out of dummy half because......"

ennis last year rarely ran as well despite the shackles coming off, he has picked it up this year because there are rule changes that has facilitated it

im afraid the only culprit is playing the hooker for 80 minutes, this is an energy sapping exercise that makes a hooker want to conserve energy, i guarantee if you have lichaa/garvey 55/35 minute combination that you will see a big increase in action
55/35 is including golden point ffs

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ennis also provided what James Graham hasn't been able to ... #LEADERSHIP

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
so is your theory that des tells our hookers to not give good service or not run if they have a roll on?, can you put that in a sentence that makes any sense please

for example "ok lichaa, dont give good crisp passes out of dummy half because......"

ennis last year rarely ran as well despite the shackles coming off, he has picked it up this year because there are rule changes that has facilitated it

im afraid the only culprit is playing the hooker for 80 minutes, this is an energy sapping exercise that makes a hooker want to conserve energy, i guarantee if you have lichaa/garvey 55/35 minute combination that you will see a big increase in action
No urgency to get the quick pass directly to a player from dummy half to allow us to get a roll on. No nippy little dummy half runs to get the defence on the back foot?

I thought my sentences made complete sense. I am talking about the style of play that we have. We do not have any urgency when it comes to dummy half service, just a nice gentle little lob to a team mate standing flat footed a metre from the play the ball area, no quick direct passes to a player on the move to try and beat the defence. . Our dummy half never makes quick little runs himself to try and catch out the defence to get them on the back foot.

I agree that two hookers would help with the fatigue factor but would they play any different to the way the coach directs them to? Coach would not do it anyway as he loves the four big forwards on the bench.
Anyway Rodzilla, do not want an argument, so let's just leave it there.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
No urgency to get the quick pass directly to a player from dummy half to allow us to get a roll on. No nippy little dummy half runs to get the defence on the back foot?

I thought my sentences made complete sense. I am talking about the style of play that we have. We do not have any urgency when it comes to dummy half service, just a nice gentle little lob to a team mate standing flat footed a metre from the play the ball area, no quick direct passes to a player on the move to try and beat the defence. . Our dummy half never makes quick little runs himself to try and catch out the defence to get them on the back foot.

I agree that two hookers would help with the fatigue factor but would they play any different to the way the coach directs them to? Coach would not do it anyway as he loves the four big forwards on the bench.
Anyway Rodzilla, do not want an argument, so let's just leave it there.
well i want an argument, so lets call this an argument-rape

there is no possible reason to instruct the hooker to not give good service from dummy half, and ennis gave great service anyway

the coach does want the hooker to play 80 minutes knowing that he will struggle but i think the rest of it is on the particular hooker, for example lichaa said that the reason he is conservative is because of playing 80

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people are expecting way to much of lichaa. It was his 1st full year last year. He even said himself last year he just focused on his fitness and getting through the 80. I think this year we would of seen more of his attack develop, and there were glimpses against manly. But i dont think he's 100%. His knee is heavily strapped and he cant even run properly. This is holding him back and just restricting him to passing and tackling. I for one would like to see Garvey on the bench for Elliot. Garvey was really starting to come good for us, and i think he'd be good playing the last 10 mins of the 1st half, then play the last 20.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
post of the year contenders from rod here

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fatigue would be impacting Lichaas ability to attack, this is why the Broncos & Cows are now playing two hookers with one coming on to spark the attack. Des is still stuck on the 'big forward' strategy that was great in 2012 when we were the kings of the block play. It also does not help when back rowers hide out wide in D like Dorothy and let Lichaa do this much work in defence.
Cows and Broncos also play with a pack full of second rowers.
With our pack, we need forwards in the bench.
IMO, our biggest problem this year has been a poorly utilized bench.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ennis is the living proof that Des is a myth.

wins Dally M hooker of the year straight away he left Des = maybe a fluke
equally good performance in the second year after leaving Des = not a fluke!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ennis ran plenty with us as he does with sharks
one thing he always does is jump out of dummy half and never hardly gets tackled he always passes

He is the only guy I miss as he was hugely influential and better skipper than Graham

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spot on, des hates to let his hookers "roam" n play what's in front of them

Last edited:

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Des is a coach with a mill a year and millions in facilities at his disposal, but unfortunately, his coaching techniques are still in the 1960's. This **** is still living in the acid trip years, there's not enough modern day technology to bring this guy back to the present.

"Ummmm I never seen a hooker run from dummy half in my days... Ummm back then we won plenty, Hmmmm if we could do it back then, you boys can do it now... Ermmm hummm Now here, drink this goats piss, it ummm used to help me... grow my mullet faster hmmm".

We should have known from the second he started injecting ***** with cows blood that this lunatic was destined for the looney bin.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think people are expecting way to much of lichaa. It was his 1st full year last year. He even said himself last year he just focused on his fitness and getting through the 80. I think this year we would of seen more of his attack develop, and there were glimpses against manly. But i dont think he's 100%. His knee is heavily strapped and he cant even run properly. This is holding him back and just restricting him to passing and tackling. I for one would like to see Garvey on the bench for Elliot. Garvey was really starting to come good for us, and i think he'd be good playing the last 10 mins of the 1st half, then play the last 20.
The problem is Des replaced an experienced functioning attacking hooker for an untested rookie.

People are delusional if they expect Lichaa to be as good as other experienced hookers.

Anyhow I think Des has a case to answer for putting our premiership into jeopardy.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Can't blame Des for Cook...he can barely stay conscious let alone crack first grade at his fourth club.

We could have the best hooker in the comp and it wouldn't matter, our forwards don't run hard or stand deep enough, our halves have probably the worst kicking games in the comp and we generally seem to lack enthusiasm and speed on the field.

Jackson.CT

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
This is not a 'We should've kept Ennis..Lichaa Sucks' thread..far from it..It's actually a thread about the 'Hasler Effect' on the role of a hooker..

It's been pretty obvious last season..Dally M Hooker 2015..and this season that Michael Ennis launched himself into the top five hookers in the game..on current form he'd be vying with Granville for most inform and dangerous attacking dummy-half..you could not say this when he played for the Dogs under Des.. Sure he was a vital member and leader of the Canterbury team..great in defence..but he was nowhere near so potent and threatening in offence as he is with the Sharks..

Which brings me to Lichaa..he had a reputation as a dynamic running hooker..but he has failed to show this part of his game.. Now I'm not saying he's not..I believe he does have this skill set but Des instructs him to just pass and tackle.. An Ennis Bulldog clone..

To further support the 'Des Effect' is Cook's performance at the backend of last year..he was so dangerous in the first few games..then he seemed to go into his shell.. It was evident on the field he became hesitant in his decision making..it seemed his instinct to run had been curtailed..

If you take a look at Hasler's career as both player (at hooker) and coach..the dummy-half 80-90% of the time just passes the ball and gets the forwards to roll forward..

Look I'm no coach..I don't have anywhere near the footy knowledge of a first grade coach..nor do I analyse games as close as half of you guys do on The Kennel..but to me giving a hooker the option to run or attack from dummy-half..when he thinks it's a good idea..can't be bad thing..

What do you guys think?

I think that Des wants a hooker that keeps it simple but I do think that our Hooker needs to be able to run out of dummy-half when he needs to. Under Des besides Ben Barba we have had no real superstars, even Rona who scored over 20 tries last season mainly kept it simple and just finished his opportunities when he got them.

Back to the point of the Hooker I think Des needs to tweak the role to add more speed to our attack by running out of Dummy-half and making better passing decisions.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is Des replaced an experienced functioning attacking hooker for an untested rookie.

People are delusional if they expect Lichaa to be as good as other experienced hookers.

Anyhow I think Des has a case to answer for putting our premiership into jeopardy.

my biggest issue at the time of replacing ennis with liccha was not only that liccha was untested rookie. we signed that rookie on a million dollar contract and had liccha proven to be better than average hooker or better than ennis , he would have asked for an up graded contract. this would have resulted in more pressurie on our salary cap.

Ennis provided best value for money with no significant pressure on our salary cap.

having said that , liccha picked the best team but the worst coach for himself.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
my biggest issue at the time of replacing ennis with liccha was not only that liccha was untested rookie. we signed that rookie on a million dollar contract and had liccha proven to be better than average hooker or better than ennis , he would have asked for an up graded contract. this would have resulted in more pressurie on our salary cap.

Ennis provided best value for money with no significant pressure on our salary cap.

having said that , liccha picked the best team but the worst coach for himself.
And the most brutal fans lol

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a 'We should've kept Ennis..Lichaa Sucks' thread..far from it..It's actually a thread about the 'Hasler Effect' on the role of a hooker..

It's been pretty obvious last season..Dally M Hooker 2015..and this season that Michael Ennis launched himself into the top five hookers in the game..on current form he'd be vying with Granville for most inform and dangerous attacking dummy-half..you could not say this when he played for the Dogs under Des.. Sure he was a vital member and leader of the Canterbury team..great in defence..but he was nowhere near so potent and threatening in offence as he is with the Sharks..

Which brings me to Lichaa..he had a reputation as a dynamic running hooker..but he has failed to show this part of his game.. Now I'm not saying he's not..I believe he does have this skill set but Des instructs him to just pass and tackle.. An Ennis Bulldog clone..

To further support the 'Des Effect' is Cook's performance at the backend of last year..he was so dangerous in the first few games..then he seemed to go into his shell.. It was evident on the field he became hesitant in his decision making..it seemed his instinct to run had been curtailed..

If you take a look at Hasler's career as both player (at hooker) and coach..the dummy-half 80-90% of the time just passes the ball and gets the forwards to roll forward..

Look I'm no coach..I don't have anywhere near the footy knowledge of a first grade coach..nor do I analyse games as close as half of you guys do on The Kennel..but to me giving a hooker the option to run or attack from dummy-half..when he thinks it's a good idea..can't be bad thing..

What do you guys think?
I agree great post bar one thing not sure about the dynamic running style he looks like he is about to fall over every time he runs the ball

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

What do you guys think?
we kennelers have more knowledge than des at the moment if one of us where coaching the dogs we would have won a grand final by now

Status
Not open for further replies.