The Elephant in the Room- Ennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is not a 'We should've kept Ennis..Lichaa Sucks' thread..far from it..It's actually a thread about the 'Hasler Effect' on the role of a hooker..

It's been pretty obvious last season..Dally M Hooker 2015..and this season that Michael Ennis launched himself into the top five hookers in the game..on current form he'd be vying with Granville for most inform and dangerous attacking dummy-half..you could not say this when he played for the Dogs under Des.. Sure he was a vital member and leader of the Canterbury team..great in defence..but he was nowhere near so potent and threatening in offence as he is with the Sharks..

Which brings me to Lichaa..he had a reputation as a dynamic running hooker..but he has failed to show this part of his game.. Now I'm not saying he's not..I believe he does have this skill set but Des instructs him to just pass and tackle.. An Ennis Bulldog clone..

To further support the 'Des Effect' is Cook's performance at the backend of last year..he was so dangerous in the first few games..then he seemed to go into his shell.. It was evident on the field he became hesitant in his decision making..it seemed his instinct to run had been curtailed..

If you take a look at Hasler's career as both player (at hooker) and coach..the dummy-half 80-90% of the time just passes the ball and gets the forwards to roll forward..

Look I'm no coach..I don't have anywhere near the footy knowledge of a first grade coach..nor do I analyse games as close as half of you guys do on The Kennel..but to me giving a hooker the option to run or attack from dummy-half..when he thinks it's a good idea..can't be bad thing..

What do you guys think?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Your 100% right but this also goes with the forwards and the halfs

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is not a 'We should've kept Ennis..Lichaa Sucks' thread..far from it..It's actually a thread about the 'Hasler Effect' on the role of a hooker..

It's been pretty obvious last season..Dally M Hooker 2015..and this season that Michael Ennis launched himself into the top five hookers in the game..on current form he'd be vying with Granville for most inform and dangerous attacking dummy-half..you could not say this when he played for the Dogs under Des.. Sure he was a vital member and leader of the Canterbury team..great in defence..but he was nowhere near so potent and threatening in offence as he is with the Sharks..

Which brings me to Lichaa..he had a reputation as a dynamic running hooker..but he has failed to show this part of his game.. Now I'm not saying he's not..I believe he does have this skill set but Des instructs him to just pass and tackle.. An Ennis Bulldog clone..

To further support the 'Des Effect' is Cook's performance at the backend of last year..he was so dangerous in the first few games..then he seemed to go into his shell.. It was evident on the field he became hesitant in his decision making..it seemed his instinct to run had been curtailed..

If you take a look at Hasler's career as both player (at hooker) and coach..the dummy-half 80-90% of the time just passes the ball and gets the forwards to roll forward..

Look I'm no coach..I don't have anywhere near the footy knowledge of a first grade coach..nor do I analyse games as close as half of you guys do on The Kennel..but to me giving a hooker the option to run or attack from dummy-half..when he thinks it's a good idea..can't be bad thing..

What do you guys think?
Suppose its possible, I remember Ennis being a great player for us, but he does seem to run a little more now at the Sharks than he did with us. True with Cook too, he looked to run a little less as he went along.

With Lichaa, can't help but feel his defensive workload would limit his offence a little, he regularly get around the 50 tackles a game mark. For me, I'd rather see that from the Lock than the Hooker, and see the Hooker run the ball a bit more.

Good chance the limited runs from marker do come from Des given we've seen it with more than one Hooker, then again, Lichaa doesn't get to marker as often as I'd like either which limits his chances for a quick run (again, maybe because he's a little too involved in defence - not saying not to defend, just maybe 10 less tackles per game picked up by someone else wouldn't hurt)

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
im going to create an ennis highlights package with the dogs to put to rest that he was crap in attack

he created plenty of action close to the tryline

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

To further support the 'Des Effect' is Cook's performance at
I don't think it's the 'Hasler effect' at all.
we saw his attacking flare in many games during the normal season and particularly at the backend of 2014.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
im going to create an ennis highlights package with the dogs to put to rest that he was crap in attack

Ill get my tissues ready

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Ill get my tissues ready
actually im not sure if i want to go through all that effort, the idea of making a video is better than making it

but if people disrespect ennis and i read about it 3 more times then i will do it tbh

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I don't think it's the 'Hasler effect' at all.
we saw his attacking flare in many games during the normal season and particularly at the backend of 2014.
Rod and Wolfy..guys I'm a huge fan of Ennis..before and now..I hated it when he left.. But this thread was just an observation about how Hasler is rigid in his approach to game plans.. I mean just look at the 2012 GF..Joel Caine mentioned it yesterday in his commentary of the Raiders V's Sharks game..Belamy knew Ennis wouldn't run from dummy-half..thanks to Des..as a result they could put pressure on the outside backs and Barba..Caine said Mick had changed this and is a huge threat now..

Even Ennis says it now how Flannegan has giving him more freedom in attack..heck when he was with Des he said Des had taught him to execute a gameplan..in other words do what the coach said..

I must say this is not a bash Lichaa thread..he's doing his best with the instruction he's given.. Hasler is the focus!

Last edited:

Klemhammer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We comparing Lichaa (22) to Granville (27), Ennis (32), Peats (25), Hodgson (26)

Personally am happy with Lichaa progress as he is still developing and still is very young and able to play 80mins and can tackle 40+ every game consistently

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We comparing Lichaa (22) to Granville (27), Ennis (32), Peats (25), Hodgson (26)

Personally am happy with Lichaa progress as he is still developing and still is very young and able to a
Ready play 80mins and can tackle 40+ every game consistently
image.jpg
Really ?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lichaa has run in some games.

I mentioned in another thread, first few games for a hooker Des keeps them focussed on defending. Then when he's happy they are defending soundly he allows them to open up in attack and play a bit more freely.

I believe we rushed Lichaa back and that he is probably being told to limit his running to avoid reinjury.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

What do you guys think?
For a guy who posts under the kennel name of Mr 95% this is nothing less than a 100% correct statement of fact on your behalf.

Now, we have people here who thrive on conspiracy theories and some who don't but I ask this question.... Don't you think that it is just more than co-incidence that all THREE of those players you named whilst at the club have ALL played the same robotic, uninspired game of footy week in week out whilst at the Dogs? . No urgency to get the quick pass directly to a player from dummy half to allow us to get a roll on. No nippy little dummy half runs to get the defence on the back foot?

I don't doubt the ability of any of those players, I just doubt the directions they have been given as to the role they must play in a game. Ennis has been a revelation at Cronulla probably because the shackles are off and he can play that type of dynamic quick service and run from dummy half. That is the type of footy that allows the team to function at a much higher level, rather than just rolling it forward for five and then an ineffective kick at the end of then set.

I find it interesting that when Garvey was deputising for Lichaa he too became a glorified tackling machine offering nothing in constructive dummy half play. It is fantastic if you have a player in your side who can consistently make close to 50 tackles per game, but should that be at the expense of completely squashing his attacking ability.

But, who are we to question the directions of the coach? We are not the ones playing to his instructions and following the game plan we are just the ones that have to sit and watch the game unfold each week where we have another hooker that offers nothing in attack.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
For a guy who posts under the kennel name of Mr 95% this is nothing less than a 100% correct statement of fact on your behalf.

Now, we have people here who thrive on conspiracy theories and some who don't but I ask this question.... Don't you think that it is just more than co-incidence that all THREE of those players you named whilst at the club have ALL played the same robotic, uninspired game of footy week in week out whilst at the Dogs? . No urgency to get the quick pass directly to a player from dummy half to allow us to get a roll on. No nippy little dummy half runs to get the defence on the back foot?

I don't doubt the ability of any of those players, I just doubt the directions they have been given as to the role they must play in a game. Ennis has been a revelation at Cronulla probably because the shackles are off and he can play that type of dynamic quick service and run from dummy half. That is the type of footy that allows the team to function at a much higher level, rather than just rolling it forward for five and then an ineffective kick at the end of then set.

I find it interesting that when Garvey was deputising for Lichaa he too became a glorified tackling machine offering nothing in constructive dummy half play. It is fantastic if you have a player in your side who can consistently make close to 50 tackles per game, but should that be at the expense of completely squashing his attacking ability.

But, who are we to question the directions of the coach? We are not the ones playing to his instructions and following the game plan we are just the ones that have to sit and watch the game unfold each week where we have another hooker that offers nothing in attack.
so is your theory that des tells our hookers to not give good service or not run if they have a roll on?, can you put that in a sentence that makes any sense please

for example "ok lichaa, dont give good crisp passes out of dummy half because......"

ennis last year rarely ran as well despite the shackles coming off, he has picked it up this year because there are rule changes that has facilitated it

im afraid the only culprit is playing the hooker for 80 minutes, this is an energy sapping exercise that makes a hooker want to conserve energy, i guarantee if you have lichaa/garvey 55/35 minute combination that you will see a big increase in action

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fatigue would be impacting Lichaas ability to attack, this is why the Broncos & Cows are now playing two hookers with one coming on to spark the attack. Des is still stuck on the 'big forward' strategy that was great in 2012 when we were the kings of the block play. It also does not help when back rowers hide out wide in D like Dorothy and let Lichaa do this much work in defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.