The Canterbury Bulldogs are a good team playing dumb football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As everyone on this Forum knows, good, bad or indifferent...I will always back my beloved Doggies but, in saying that I have not been overly excited about James Grahams contribution to the team last year or even worse this year. Is it just myself that feels this way? because I never see too many members being over critical of James Grahams performances this past 18 months.
Has giving him the captaincy effected his game? am I missing something with his current contribution to the team? I can think of at least 6 currant players playing for other clubs that I would say are out performing our captain right now. One player I wish was still employed by the Dogs is Martin Tapau, at the time of his departure I must admit I thought he was not a great loss but, seeing how he has matured this year has made me eat a bit of humble pie TBH.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate ever since Hasler came on board with his bloody mind coach it's been sunshine and roses at the bulldogs. All positive re enforcement. Which is great for a while and good to pull you through a dip in form. But when you've been shit for over a year of footy it starts to become insanity and that's not healthy. Back when I was a kid growing up in the 80s/90s I remember footy players telling it like it was. The game was at its peak back then in the Tina Turner era of RL and things have only gotten worse since then including the players and their bullshit talk in the media. I've had enough tbh.
Yep, I do agree strongly! what really pisses me of is the halfwhits with their microphones in hand chasing players as they come off at half time looking for a "what went wrong"? or a "whats going great"??? they keep getting similar amswers FFS.....embarrassing if you ask me!

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate ever since Hasler came on board with his bloody mind coach it's been sunshine and roses at the bulldogs. All positive re enforcement. Which is great for a while and good to pull you through a dip in form. But when you've been shit for over a year of footy it starts to become insanity and that's not healthy. Back when I was a kid growing up in the 80s/90s I remember footy players telling it like it was. The game was at its peak back then in the Tina Turner era of RL and things have only gotten worse since then including the players and their bullshit talk in the media. I've had enough tbh.
Oh i totally agree with everything you say, i grew up in the same great era of footy. Unfortunately those awesome days are behind us now, we live in a totally different world now and league has become just another big business. So all we will ever get is 'trained' responses from players and club officials, that is all i meant.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As everyone on this Forum knows, good, bad or indifferent...I will always back my beloved Doggies but, in saying that I have not been overly excited about James Grahams contribution to the team last year or even worse this year. Is it just myself that feels this way? because I never see too many members being over critical of James Grahams performances this past 18 months.
Has giving him the captaincy effected his game? am I missing something with his current contribution to the team? I can think of at least 6 currant players playing for other clubs that I would say are out performing our captain right now. One player I wish was still employed by the Dogs is Martin Tapau, at the time of his departure I must admit I thought he was not a great loss but, seeing how he has matured this year has made me eat a bit of humble pie TBH.
I'm one of the ones who has been critical of Graham. He starts our sets and he starts them by running sidewards. Why is it then surprising that all the rest run sidewards as well. Worse still that means 1st receiver is standing wider than usual so Lichaa either has to throw a long pass from DH or run sidewards himself to get near them which makes him look even more ordinary. Graham could get away with that a few years ago because he had line speed and could draw the defence to him pop an offload and create space for the the others. He doesn't have that line speed anymore and so just gets tackled. Our halves have never had the space that other teams have yet we keep ripping into them as the major problem when it is our forwards who are the problem. Tolman does his job but it is now the same as what Graham does so we have to have Klemmer on the field driving into the opp to try and create space. Now that Graham is out and Eastwood as well, we should have better and more direct line speed in our hitups in the first few tackles. It should also give our halves a chance to do something. Just so long as the benchies come on with intent and not plod.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
in saying that I have not been overly excited about James Grahams contribution to the team last year or even worse this year.
since out ceo got involved after black friday he has been shit

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm one of the ones who has been critical of Graham. He starts our sets and he starts them by running sidewards. Why is it then surprising that all the rest run sidewards as well. Worse still that means 1st receiver is standing wider than usual so Lichaa either has to throw a long pass from DH or run sidewards himself to get near them which makes him look even more ordinary. Graham could get away with that a few years ago because he had line speed and could draw the defence to him pop an offload and create space for the the others. He doesn't have that line speed anymore and so just gets tackled. Our halves have never had the space that other teams have yet we keep ripping into them as the major problem when it is our forwards who are the problem. Tolman does his job but it is now the same as what Graham does so we have to have Klemmer on the field driving into the opp to try and create space. Now that Graham is out and Eastwood as well, we should have better and more direct line speed in our hitups in the first few tackles. It should also give our halves a chance to do something. Just so long as the benchies come on with intent and not plod.
I agree with your points on Graham but also counter by saying our halves are just shit as well

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with your points on Graham but also counter by saying our halves are just shit as well
True, I'm not letting them off the hook, nor Lichaa - they really need to step up. Just saying it hasn't been made any easier for any of our backs with the lack of directness by the props.

Calibra

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have shown in bout 5 minute spouts (generally at the end of games) we can throw the ball around but we don't that nearly enough in the other 75 minutes so it's no surprise we have the worst attack and sitting 3rd last

Status
Not open for further replies.