Official Speed

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In my opinion he is quick in a straight line his issue is his lateral movement in defence - he struggles with it resulting in him throwing out his arms when players change direction - Thommo has a similar issue - needs to change technique so he can adjust. So without technique change would struggle as an dge defender
Again just my untrained opinion - being less upright in defence, not sprinting in defence and having more confidence in the players either side would make his n thommos defence a lot better.
Exactly, no player in our team has confidence in the players inside or outside of them,I actually think that hetho might turn into a real good player with some quality around him. Watched the way the storm defend last night,no one rushes in because they have faith in the blokes inside them,stops so many overlaps forming.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brett Howland was the fastest player in the game when we signed him, didn't do much.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Dufty has great acceleration, but great top speed.. just like Saab has not great acceleration but a great top speed.. do you know nothing about diff ratios lol..
Long legs = long diff ratio = slow acceleration but high top speed = RSmith
Short legs = short diff ratio = quick acceleration but low top speed = Dufty

Always a Bulldog

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its even more relative tbh. They are stats taken in real game time.
Sustained speed is the important factor in all of it for mine. They could have hit that top speed for less than a second.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
speed over the first 5 to 20 metres whilst not having to slow down to change direction makes the difference -

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
speed over the first 5 to 20 metres whilst not having to slow down to change direction makes the difference -
Change of direction while not losing speed is everything. It's what made players like Barba so dangerous. That's why I hate top speeds as a stat. Brett Howland would have been an Immortal if we based anything off top speeds.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Change of direction while not losing speed is everything. It's what made players like Barba so dangerous. That's why I hate top speeds as a stat. Brett Howland would have been an Immortal if we based anything off top speeds.
Barba had a swerve at full speed, similar to Turbo - lots of players have good stepping feet but they generally slow down to step - still good but not as effective as the swerve directional change with speed

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
George Jennings when he got the ball off Reimis 19.1 km/h LOL
I'd suggest though that sustained top speed like JAC has is good and when Dufty or Burto puts him away 60m out it's try time...he also has pace all round and evasion skills obviously.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I left out the word "not" in my description of Dufty's top speed

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sustained speed is the important factor in all of it for mine. They could have hit that top speed for less than a second.
Or not. But at least it wasnt a spring race, or at training or something. It was in a game environment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or not. But at least it wasnt a spring race, or at training or something. It was in a game environment.
That’s the thing in a game environment doesn’t tell you that much. Did they have the ball or not? How long did they stay at the speed for? It’s a pretty irrelevant stat without a lot more info.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s the thing in a game environment doesn’t tell you that much. Did they have the ball or not? How long did they stay at the speed for? It’s a pretty irrelevant stat without a lot more info.
JAC ran 38.1km/h thats good enough for me.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm sorry but how the fuck is the turtle DWZ on that list? I'm surprised Hoppa and Allen aren't on that list too
He scored a try the other week (I think against the Sharks/Mulitalo) and he was very fast when doing so. He did an in and out run and it was very noticeable he was running quicker than his average.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I said it when we signed him that he played his best footy on the edge for the Warriors but TK was all like "na, he's a future SOO prop because he beefed with JWH". He's defenitely more of an edge forward than prop, he just doesn't really know how to use his strengths effectively though the middle. On the edge he can just run at the space, run at the halves, etc. He can also be micromanaged by the half inside him. But defence is the big issue, hard to trust him defending out on an edge for extended minutes.
He’s def not a starting front rower, suits the edge, that’s what the Panthers did with him early on.
Happy with Thompson and Vaughan as a front row pairing.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Best explanation I’ve seen!! Hahaha can you do one for short and long wheel base?