Official Round 1 v Cowboys match discussion

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some fans just need to relax enjoy and have faith in The people that are in place,u do realise it’s a new team that no doubt needs time to gel,also averillo will come good thought he went decent some fans just too hard to plz…DOGS OF WAR
What's a worry though is that just about every other team has had major overhalls of their personel. No one talks of their gelling and it seems thats its not a problem for them. Could be that we are trying to play people out of position and its hard pollishing turds. Sorry Jake.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The first 30 mins was scary because it seemed so familiar and terrible but then we got into the grind and I liked the grit I saw. In the end I think the boys set a standard for fight and determination that can define the season now.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best buy. Just love his enthusiasm and passion and you can see it rubbing off on the rest
You can see GA that the rest of the team is not used to the enthusiasm and heart that JAC shows naturally. It may take a few weeks but you will see a marked improvment in this regard. Who knows by the end of the year try celebrations may resemble the panthers celebrations. Knowing our luck we may injure ourselves.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't get over how much Taumalolo has slipped? In 2 x 25 min stints he did basically nothing, 1 x error, 1 x missed tackle, 1 x tackle bust and 15 x runs for 134 metres. That's farkin piss poor value for $1m a season and he doesn't look to be in that good a condition either, slow, lethargic even and his play the balls were nothing like as fast as they used to be. He's either injured or his heart isn't in it any more.

Always a Bulldog
Noticed that too Twin. Is it because of lack of fitness? He said he wanted to play more minutes this year etc etc but the old legs don't do what the head wants sometime. Glad we got him on a bad day cause I can remember him and Granville absolutely carving us up several times in the passed.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good win. Scored 3 legitimate trys in my opinion too. Tevita will help our attack next week with his second phase and ability to attract defenders.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wonder if Luke Thompson off the bench is going to be how Baz uses him moving forward. At first, I was thinking he was crazy - but it made sense as the game went on. Gives Thommo a 25 minute-straight stint, use the half-time break as his first 'interchange', leave him on to start the second half and if he doesn't need an interchange, leave him out there. Ideally, I'd want him to play the full 80 if he has it in him, but if he's only going to play 65, may as well miss the initial sting of the contest and have Ava/ Vaughn/ Patolo eat those minutes to start and then roll on some more mobility in the middle with Thommo/ King.
That was a great move imo. I think they will struggle against bigger opps if they start with thompson and jackson in the middle.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wonder if Luke Thompson off the bench is going to be how Baz uses him moving forward. At first, I was thinking he was crazy - but it made sense as the game went on. Gives Thommo a 25 minute-straight stint, use the half-time break as his first 'interchange', leave him on to start the second half and if he doesn't need an interchange, leave him out there. Ideally, I'd want him to play the full 80 if he has it in him, but if he's only going to play 65, may as well miss the initial sting of the contest and have Ava/ Vaughn/ Patolo eat those minutes to start and then roll on some more mobility in the middle with Thommo/ King.
the punch he adds after the starting boys are a little fatigued is great. much better use of him i feel

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What's a worry though is that just about every other team has had major overhalls of their personel. No one talks of their gelling and it seems thats its not a problem for them. Could be that we are trying to play people out of position and its hard pollishing turds. Sorry Jake.
True - but I don't think any other club has had as many new faces in new positions playing their first-ever game with the club. The Titans have a new look spine - but they all either made their debuts last season or have 5-10 games minimum together. The Rorters had their first game with Keary and Walker in the halves, but what's the excuse when one is a ROTY and Keary is a CC Medalist and the team has been at the top of the ladder for most of the past decade?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's after midnight in Wait Awhile, I've had a Nana nap and I wanna crack a fucken can right now lol.
I am glad the try got rescinded as he was offside but I would have still been proud of the 2nd half effort if we had of lost because it was jaggy the knock on to Fidow and we were staunch under the pump our D was pretty good.

The manner we did it we all agree was quite patchy but with promise for the weeks ahead and although the Cows were a bit shit we were playing on their deck and it should be a fortress given the humid conditions.
We were strong in the second half and the W could be a real boost for next week and beyond.
Still need work on discipline and some errors etc but we're in decent enough shape going into round 2 with some confidence, I think the boys bonded there today.
Our boys looked much fitter physically and mentally plus they handled the humid conditions much better than the cowboys!

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still on a high. If we jag another W next week, I think we’ll have enough confidence to be competitive against the top teams the following month
the way souths went on friday, i think we may be able to match it with them and jag another one - pending on whether we turn up and actually have a go and don't play like we did first half last night. If we can get a W against the broncos and souths and go 3/7 i'd say we're in a better position than expected. Not expecting to beat Manly, Penrith, Melbourne, Roosters but who knows. If we can continue improving and forming combinations and everyone is fit and firing, why not?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the way souths went on friday, i think we may be able to match it with them and jag another one - pending on whether we turn up and actually have a go and don't play like we did first half last night. If we can get a W against the broncos and souths and go 3/7 i'd say we're in a better position than expected. Not expecting to beat Manly, Penrith, Melbourne, Roosters but who knows. If we can continue improving and forming combinations and everyone is fit and firing, why not?
If the Storm lose another couple of players to injury we might end up playing their feeder club LOL