Round 1 Post Match Discussion: Bulldogs v Tigpies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Corey Payne really impressed me, each run of his, he was able to poke through the line and look for an offload, really impressed me.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Brutal defence forced the tiggers to play adlib footy and make stupid decisions. The dogs mentallity shone 2night. Hodkinson kicking game was great and keating is our man

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Jonny Wright will replace Morris. He will do a good job to.
The new boys have done very well once they get used to playing together we will get better.
The kicking game was much better. So glad we have Keating. At Parra he killed us every time
I can tell you 110% Wright will not replace Morris. Apart from missing largely in the NSW Cup ggame this week, the only time he DID appear, was to drop a simple hitup from 20m out and almost cost us a try.

He has hands like feet, but a big frame.

Lett on the other hand was kicking arse. Strong kick returns and defensively solid as a rock. Decent footwork and broke the line a number of times. Scored 2 really nice tries and setup a third.

The difference between them at the moment is night and day. Wright needs far more time in NSW Cup and is even under JTK, Nanai, and Rauicava for a first grade spot.

Speaking of which, Rauicava or Cutler *may* step up as well. Brilliant defensive effort from him on weekend. Never gave up chasing a bloke down.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Corey Payne really impressed me, each run of his, he was able to poke through the line and look for an offload, really impressed me.
Yeh payne did play well. On another night he would have had barba over for a few but tigers kept on getting numbers in just as the off load was coming. Barba backed up well but he didnt really follow Payne as much as he did with prichard.

Great effort first up. Everyone put in. Great team effort. A few long range tries, few barge overs and a try off a kick too. Very well polished effort with lots of room to improve too which is the most encouraging thing. Hodgkinson went missing there for a while i was thinking where is he but then came in with the game in the balance and put in a few beautiful kicks to get a repeat set then get a try. Just what you need from a halfback. Like a point guard in basketball you dont need a ball hog to be doing everything you just need a distributor who can have the skill to hit a 3 when required. And i think hodkisnon will do well. Defended well and did not get brushed off when attempting tackles.

Prichard had some good moment that had him as one of the best in the NRL but also had a few of the heart stopping moments. And Kasiano played well early on but errors emerged into his game when he was tired reminds me of his under 20 days. But all in all an excellent debut performance. Carried 3 defenders each run and still had leg drive to make meters. He gets a B+. Good game and if he keeps that up will be a great partner for the dux of the class Tolman who receives a A+ in all areas of his game. Sort of makes the loss of Hannant non noticeable.

Another thing that was quite different was the hard running of Stagg. Moore has probably told him to give it his all and not leave anything in the tank me thinks. So he will have a bigger emphasis on his running on the right flank. With so many back rowers there is no point in keeping him out there tackling and not running the ball cause he is too tired from defense. He ran the ball up hard a few times. Get smashed a few and made some errors but was good to see him stick the ball under his arm and run into the defense.

Got a bit carried away didnt i :p lol all i wanted to say was payne pierced the line more then any other player and definitely deserves his spot in the top 17 when fully fit. If roberts is only coming on for 9 mins we are better off having just the 6 and 7 as our halves and gives us room for both payne and paea on the bench. Keating played well but I guess would not have been miles better then what roberts would have done. A few wrong decisions in attack and brain explosions could have cost us the game in the end. When eastwood is back moore might have to choose who is his preferred number 6 and send the other to NSW Cup

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Gidday POLECAT me ol' sparring partner ! :becky:

Throw that crystal ball away son ... and strap yourself in, this rollercoaster's about to go.
It's got a fancy name .... Unbridled Faith !!!

To everyone else here as well : You MUST get yourself the the Army - In a day or so, I'll post up a video showing exactly why ...

Thankyou Army :becky:

And thank you Suiker for the lovely hand-crafted munchies !

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
My Thoughts on the matter....

Barba - Good positional play. Wasn't really tested by the attack. Decent with the ball in hand. 6.5
Turner - Decent with his hit ups. Made a few errors with reads and dropped pill. 5.5
Morris - Outstanding in attack and defence. 8.5
Idris - Decent in attack. A Couple of miss reads and dropsies. 5.5
Goodwin - Solid in Defence. Good with the boot. zero errors. 7.5
Keating - Very nice kicking game. Good probing runs, good backing up for the try. 7
Hodkinson - Seemed to lead the team well. Wasn't as dominant as I would have expected 7
Kasiano - Would have rated very highly if it wasn't for his dropped ball and penalties. lost 3 for that. Outstanding otherwise 7
Ennis - Had a decent kicking game. Good play for the try. Solid 6.5
Tolman - Wow. Machine. loses .5 for getting brushed off once 9.5
Ryan - Was fairly anonymous for most of the game. 6
Foster - Was impressed. Ran hard. Defended well. 6.5
Stagg - Workhorse . Seems to limit our attack though 6.5

Paea - Good impact. Quite a few silly penalties and dropped balls 6
Payne - Was impressed. Exceeded my expectations. 6.5
Tank the Frank - Good running, aggression in defence and a nice try 7
Roberts - Touched the ball once. No mistakes 5

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
our forwards did a really good job tonight...can only get better with the return of eastwood in afew weeks

LordofDOGtown

Waterboy
Reaction score
GOOD GAME THOUGH
other then the josh morris thing
pretty stoked about keating/hodkinson
at the same time though was keen for roberts to touch the ball, bit disapointed that he got overlooked

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
"Morris finished on his back with a suspected knee injury and faces at least four weeks on the*sidelines although scans tomorrow will confirm the exact*timeframe.

“It feels all right,” Morris*said.

“I came off and took it easy. I could have stayed on there but Ben Roberts was on the bench and raring to*go.”
Source news.com.au

4 weeks isn't as bad as it could have been. Pretty lucky I think

TJ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am sorry guys, i am not as positive as you guys that possession and completion stat did not impress me at all. Yeah we got the win great i am happy but we are not top four contenders on that performance. Stupid stupid dropped balls and penalties which allowed tigers back in the game and let them off the hook when we had them under pressure. Against Melbourne/St George we would not have been so lucky.

Take the win, but with a grain of salt. Still have a long way to go.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All i can say is the halves with keating and hodkinson WOW! awsome game by them two and how about the kicking, i was really happy with both of the boys
ROberts came on the 75minute to replace morris, i got abit upset he didnt get game time but then you ask the question if the team is going that well like yesturday where do you put him??
Heard if morris does have that injury (forgot the name) it will be one month according to the match articles, but i also read it doesnt hurt him and hopefully postives come out of the scans today :grinning:... really hope he is not out, he was oen of our best yesterday with the run of ball

One more thing Jamal OMG! if he leaves to the knights i will be so upset, he is a machine didnt stop and had like 4 players on him and still kept on going..

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can only play whats in front of you TJ, and i thought
we were by far the better side on the night.

for those who openly wonder about staggs lack of attacking flair, you need to remember
that somebody needs to tackle, and in our side that man is usually stagg. although
it would seem that tolman will be joining him as a second defensive pillar.

Status
Not open for further replies.