Round 1 Bulldogs Vs Manly

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought the right side attack actually looked more likely than the left. Not because of Flanno but Avo and Kiraz footwork was dangerous.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thought the right side attack actually looked more likely than the left. Not because of Flanno but Avo and Kiraz footwork was dangerous.
They ran all traffic at our LHS,to blunt our attack we might as well get used to it. Teams will want to wear out our LHS . . . We need to belt ***** on that side and make them hurt

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Manly had a retard in Cooper Johns playing in the 6 jersey because Schuster wasn't available.
'Retard'?
Really?
So you either don't know why that is extremely offensive or you don't care?
Just so we know what type of person you are, which is it?

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can still wrestle back control of the game after errors, Manly had a lot of fuck ups as well.

I saw Paseka & Bullemor bust through tackles and make breaks, Keppie & Jake Trebojevic were dumping our props on their backsides. We got absolutely smashed through the forwards.
Dosent matter it’s not up to standard it’s unforgivable he was pathetic today should have made the **** walk home

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Little doubt the players were underdone, but their effort was disappointing. One negative was the error rate.
You cannot afford to give the ball away like they did.
To win games, you need to win the battle in the middle. We didnt do that.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They ran all traffic at our LHS,to blunt our attack we might as well get used to it. Teams will want to wear out our LHS . . . We need to belt ***** on that side and make them hurt
Thought they had us through the middle as well.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Reed Mahoney was class, of all the players he was the one who caught the eye of even the Manly supporters.

He knocked the wind out of one of their players with a tackle and another where he picked up and dumped in a text book tackle.

The man is a warrior was throwing himself into everything, didn't stop trying to spark something in attack either.

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need two world class front rowers.
Yep, more than anything else, this is what we need, even before a 1, 6 & 7.

Bulldogs forwards were smashed today and there are bigger forward packs in the comp than Manly.

Unless we strengthen our forwards we will get the spoon this year, and you can't change my mind.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
We need forwards?

We need a spine. Who do you think takes the heat off the forwards? Is it any surprise you can send a broken horse to the storm and next he's playing Origin? 9 is covered. 1 wasn't bad for a kid - showed some signs on a tough day. 6 and 7 were a car crash. Again. And again. [repeat for 2023].

Kicking is shite. Managing field position is shite. Passing is shite. Other teams can gang our forwards coz god knows they ain't running the ball.

Get 6 and 7 sorted - then worry about the pack.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep, more than anything else, this is what we need, even before a 1, 6 & 7.

Bulldogs forwards were smashed today and there are bigger forward packs in the comp than Manly.

Unless we strengthen our forwards we will get the spoon this year, and you can't change my mind.
It is harder to assemble a top spine, so I can understand why they are looking at that first. If we lock up a spine long term, we can assemble around that.

Having a young production line of forwards is easier than a production line of 9s or 7s.

We had Jackson, Finucane & Klemmer all on the scene at roughly the same time. We have to be developing our own forwards, then play the market well, if a quality forward like Kikau comes up we have to be on it.

Pele looks very promising

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
'Retard'?
Really?
So you either don't know why that is extremely offensive or you don't care?
Just so we know what type of person you are, which is it?
I think definite retard. Full retard. His Nickname should be ‘Tardo’ if it’s not already. Do you require more clarification?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While a disappointing result, especially against the "pridesters", I'm not overly concerned, yet! It was the "pridesters" home game, they had the support of not only the crowd, but the refereeing was not only terrible it was bias towards Manly. Add in we had a number of players debuting and having a few of our forwards out injured certainly didn't help.

It's a long season, so no need to panic yet. There were some good things to take out of the game, especially Mahoney and I thought King was once again one of our best on the field. An overall lack of discipline with the ball and cohesiveness were our undoing. I believe TPJ is still about 3 to 4 weeks from a return.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't stress this enough, people looking elsewhere are unfortunately are not tuned in to the details of the game.

People on about Burton, Flanagan, please forget it. The main problem is the front row engine room. We can't get ruck speed without big boppers causing some damage in the middle.
With respect the problem wasn't our starting middles. It was lack of creativity from the halves. Our middles were no worse than Manlys, but Manly had some luck and DCE. our centres and wingers hardly touched the ball. Just review the metres made by our halves and centres compared to Manlys...and our lack of metres was NOT caused by our middles.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With respect the problem wasn't our starting middles. It was lack of creativity from the halves. Our middles were no worse than Manlys, but Manly had some luck and DCE. our centres and wingers hardly touched the ball. Just review the metres made by our halves and centres compared to Manlys...and our lack of metres was NOT caused by our middles.
I thought that last year Burton made up for the lack of ground made by our middles with his long kicks, against Manly I saw very little of it not sure why. Burton is obviously a frustrated player who has lost heart one can only guess why, our coaches need to do a lot of thinking.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Honestly it was a shit game but…

We need a few rounds to gel in attack.
Half of our spine is new. Mahoney is our best buy this season by far. Perham looked safe but nothing exciting.
We have lost both starting forwards which was always going to be hard to cover with the likes of Waddell and co.
I think we will get better as the rounds roll. Chill guys

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our forwards got bashed, but only because our halves put so much pressure and fatigue on them.

Burton kicking out on the full twice, passing to Kikau on the last a couple of times and making a shit tonne errors gassed our forwards.

I'm still marvelling at how King played that full first half. I was only giving Mahoney credit yesterday, but King deserves a mention.

Calibra

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
After all the recruitment and talk about our pre-season and Ciraldo we deliver the worst Round 1 performance ever?

8th season of utter crap? Are we really a club to be appointing unproven first grade coaches? That was abismal yesterday! Put Potter on stand by cause we can't see more of that crap, what have the halves done all pre season, where is the plan? Nothing!

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just watched the replay.
Perham - was very solid looked threatening on a number of occasions.
Kiraz - outstanding best outside back on the field.
Averilo - such a cat, can't beat a tackle and just surrenders so easily. Bombed a certain try at a crucial period of the game.
Alamoti - Solid on debut didn't get many opportunities.
Burton - pretty ordinary performance. Looks underdone.
Flanagan - wasn't his worst performance but just offers nothing.
King - great game in a beaten pack goes all day.
Mahoney - Easily the best player on the field. One of the few that can hold his head high.
Sutton - he's a goer but not big enough to be a starting prop to Small. No other option atm
Rfm- not as effective as he once was bit one dimensional these days.
Kikau - shocking first half and got dominated. Definitely not fit.
Brown - can't play there again. Falling off tackles and dominated with the ball.

Preston - Solid debut fell off a few tackles out of fatigue
Tanner - He's a goer but has no impact
Waddel- upon watching the replay. Proberly our worst. Gets dominated every run, gave away a crucial penalty when we were in the arm wrestle and just a stupid footballer( can't wait to see the back of him ).
Pele- damaging runs. Should of been left out there longer to build match fitness didn't even look gassed.

I think they need to bring in Skelton or Okonbor for their size alone. Drop Averilo and Kiraz into the centres. Flanagan is on his last legs with Oloapu on his heals kid is a freak.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fkn hell..
I'm sick to death being content to losing with the scoreline flattering the dogs.

Anybody else sick to.death of this shambles.
Year after year.
Coaches.. players... nothing ever changes.

And as for anyone that says it's only round 1..
It was round 1 for Manly too and they schooled us in every facet of this game.
Erm, yeah.
I'm a tottenham supporter.