Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Robbie Farah and Nathan Friend turn back on the Gold Coast Titans

By Matt Marshall
January 13, 2009

GOLD Coast's quest to lure a star hooker has failed, with Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah set to decline the club's poaching bid and current No. 9 Nathan Friend rejecting the club's final contract offer.

Farah is expected to re-sign with Wests Tigers as early as Tuesday while Friend declared he had been forced on to the open market after canning a revised two-year deal tabled by the Titans last Friday that featured a strict three-day deadline.

The Titans courted Farah last November after being unsuccessful in their bid to lure Australian Test hooker and Melbourne captain Cameron Smith to the sunshine strip.

Smith re-signed with the Storm last December, but Farah visited the Titans for a tour of the club's facilities and met head coach John Cartwright during the club's bid to sign him.

Expecting Farah to reject their advances, the Titans last week responded by presenting current No. 9 Friend with a slightly updated contract offer.

The updated two-year offer came after Friend rejected the club's initial pitch last year amid the hunt for Smith and Farah.

But the offer put to Friend had a three-day cut-off date which expired on Monday night.

Earlier, Titans chief executive Michael Searle said no subsequent offer would be made to the 27-year-old if the 5pm deadline was breached.

With Friend now on the hunt for a new club post-2009, the Titans are likely to offer former Brisbane Bronco Ian Lacey a contract for next season, while they also view youngster Kayne Lawton as a potential back-up option.

It is understood Farah, a former Leichhardt junior and 2005 premiership star, has received a lucrative long-term offer to remain at the Tigers.

This will mean forgoing a reunion with former premiership teammates Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi.

Titans centre Brett Delaney and young prop Will Matthews, 20, have been added to an eight-man players' representatives group alongside senior players Prince, Luke Bailey, Laffranchi, Preston Campbell, Mark Minichiello and Friend.

lol nice going titans

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This will mean forgoing a reunion with former premiership teammates Scott Prince and Anthony Laffranchi.
I dont understand this part.

He is obviously not going to the titans, so how will they reforge their partnership if they dont play together ?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Epic Fail on my part, I read it as REFORGING. I'll go grab another cup of coffee....

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL Titans.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
grab me one too FB

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flat white for me, please.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It is understood Farah, a former Leichhardt junior and 2005 premiership star, has received a lucrative long-term offer to remain at the Tigers.
Of course they would offer him anything he wants. Who else do those duds have besides Marshall and Farah?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Coffee all round then.

So looks like Titans will be starting the year with some other teams second grade hooker when they could have resigned Friend (underated player I think - always gives 100%).

Nice work.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
Farah is an interesting man.

He will go where the money is, sad thing for some clubs as they already brought hookers and he would have been a nice buy...

K

kennyy

Farah is an interesting man.

He will go where the money is
, sad thing for some clubs as they already brought hookers and he would have been a nice buy...
LOL how can this statement be made when he has only played for the tigs and the report is that he knocked back the dollars???

:grinning:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Robert Farah re-signed for 5 years.

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
LOL how can this statement be made when he has only played for the tigs and the report is that he knocked back the dollars???

:grinning:
He takes up most of the money at the Tigers,

I should have also added where the PREMIERSHIP is Kenny fyi

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
The Dragons are alright in my book, they will go well this year

Status
Not open for further replies.