Recruitment team did not do there homework

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve signed the wrong people. I think there’s so much shit at the club, that it’s dragging them down.
anyone can see Mahoney is trying his guts out.
Nah cant blame his teammates for his own personal failures in skill execution and options

“trying” isnt enough from your snr big money players. Mahoney has been terrible

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nah cant blame his teammates for his own personal failures in skill execution and options

“trying” isnt enough from your snr big money players. Mahoney has been terrible
Trying is a really good start,if the whole bloody team do it!!!

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First and foremost CC and Gus backed by Khoury and Co have set the standards...
As a result for the first time in a long time I truly truly feel we are back on track to recovery, this club always prided it self on hard yaka the kind that turns good players into leaders but once we lost that we lost everything...up until know,
IMO every player no matter who they are doesn't buy into our culture see yah later thanks for coming and don't let the door hit you on your back side on your way out.
Incidentally, for years I believed we needed an ALPHA a leader a captain, I still do !!!
Every player that Barrett signed has been a dud.the worse was TPJ,he came for the money,he didn’t give a rats arse about the jersey.Ricky Stuart told him at 18 years of age he wouldn’t make it.was too lazy.There was a reason why the broncos let him go.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here.
The problem we made is very clear to me.
Two fold.
First.
we recruited heavy in the wrong positions.
Cotric, JAC, DWZ. Naden. Duffy. All wingers and defensive liabilities for the most part.
This was done with adding flair. But it caused the opposite problem.
For years I was saying none of that matters if we don’t recruit an experienced half and spine players. Still doesn’t. They is the glue. They be the heart of the team.
Look at how we overturned it in 2009. How broncos did this year and cowboys did last year.
Countless examples.
We should have held steady and gone all oit for Reynolds or Townsend or players of this I’ll as they became available.

The second issue is the Barret focus was youth obsessed.
Again I spoke out strongly about it at the time.
Barrett’s idea was he could a dynasty by buyin youth.
But what we cried out was experience.
An experienced team with a solid foundation need youth to go up a notch. A young inexperienced team needs leadership. Not more youth. Unless they are absolutely sublime talent like Benji and Robbie Farah appearing at once. Or Foran/DCE.
Both those times the players were basically the best of a generation.
Even the tigers example was only made possible because they nabbed Prince to help Benji.

When we got Burton, our immediate focus should have been to get Townsend who was out of favour at the time. I reckon 600k he was ours. We then had expetience and guidance with a young G.
We actually realised that when Gould came in board but we let Townsend through to the keeper and cowboys swooped and although Reynolds signed with the brumbies for less, I’m sure a cool million would have done it. Or at least keep Foran for the small multi year deal we asked.

Our balance has been wrong at every step. The only smart decision was Mahoney.
I agree and knew we f..ked Burton when we failed to get an experienced 7 (like Johnson or others) to help him / to teach him on the field. Now we've done so much damage I seriously doubt he can be a NRL standard 6 and if we're gonna get our best value from him it will be as a highly overpaid centre. We may have wrecked his natural progression thus his future career and now we have our number 6 spot up in the air again also looking for answers.

Yes both Reynolds and Townsend should have been our "priority" way before a Kikau or anyone else and we should have got them for less because with us they wouldn't have had to move interstate

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree and knew we f..ked Burton when we failed to get an experienced 7 (like Johnson or others) to help him / to teach him on the field. Now we've done so much damage I seriously doubt he can be a NRL standard 6 and if we're gonna get our best value from him it will be as a highly overpaid centre. We may have wrecked his natural progression thus his future career and now we have our number 6 spot up in the air again also looking for answers.

Yes both Reynolds and Townsend should have been our "priority" way before a Kikau or anyone else and we should have got them for less because with us they wouldn't have had to move interstate
I recalled talking about Townsend when he was dropped from the sharks team. I identified it as temporary form lapse. He was on 520 a year according to some article. If we struck then we could have had him for a song.
He’s not DCE but he’s what we needed. Sexton is a more inexperienced and clipper man’s version of him.
I simply don’t understand why a number 7 wasn’t a priority for so long for all the reasons you mentioned.
Toby is playing decent but the titans back up half isn’t going to take us to glory

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus/CC foolishly thought Reynolds & RFM would drive the leadership. Would account for why CC persisted so long with a grossly under-performing Reynolds.
I have yet to see anyone who will drive that leadership culture @ Dogs.
In my mind, accounts for why Flegler signed 4 years with Bennett @ Dolphins. Just the sort of player we need.
Dogs wheeled out Mahoney to front the press today. Says a lot about the quality of leadership we currently have available at Belmore. He at least backed CC.
I can’t see Kikau or Taukeiho being able to lead on field performance and culture change. So far a glaring gap for us. IMO Thompson, the England captain, should have been the one.
Thompson leading anything except the most use of band aids in a season is fkn hilarious. **** is barely a first grader

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why don’t you ?
Because I’m a pimp not a slave.
I’m not going to shovel crap or take crap from a man for 8 hrs a day.
I get by easily on Centrelink 800 a week. Have a few tightass tips I should share one day.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We recruited players from clubs that were at the top end of the table.
Mahoney was the starting hooker of a team that made the GF last season. He was also in the conversation of origin selection.
Burton was in the starting side of a team that won the GF. The same with Kikau.
JAC had plenty of success at the Storm.

No doubt our recruitment team THOUGHT because they are from successful clubs, they will come here and lift the standards of the place and it will have a flow on effect.

Not only did these players not lift the place, but they became worse players themselves. Why?
It is very obvious that these players did not drive the culture at there previous club, they were the recipient of it.

Contrast this to what Bennett did, he went and bought LEADERS like the Bromwich brothers, Kafusi etc.
Now while these players are not "sexy" purchases like Kikau, Mahoney etc as they are at the end of there careers, Bennett identified and knows you need leaders first and foremost over skill, talent etc and look at the season they had?

While these leaders played pretty much at the same level as they did before, look at what effect it did to JMK, Jamayne Isaako, Hammer, Nikorima etc.

Gus and CC have identified and are hoping Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Salmon etc while not sexy buys, will drive the standard. They are not there have a major effect skill wise or grunt guys, but are "locker room" guys.

When you interview for these type of players, you are not looking for there skill sets and what they can do on the park, but what effect that have on the culture which has a far far greater effect that trying to just buy skillful or good forwards in a team with a rotten culture.

Time will tell but i they got it wrong.
I don’t think you used to do your homework either if you don’t know the difference between there and their

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LEADERS like the Bromwich brothers, Kafusi

wtf kafusi dumb as a doorknob, dopey bastard can’t control his rage

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recalled talking about Townsend when he was dropped from the sharks team. I identified it as temporary form lapse. He was on 520 a year according to some article. If we struck then we could have had him for a song.
He’s not DCE but he’s what we needed. Sexton is a more inexperienced and clipper man’s version of him.
I simply don’t understand why a number 7 wasn’t a priority for so long for all the reasons you mentioned.
Toby is playing decent but the titans back up half isn’t going to take us to glory
I suspect we didn't even put in offers to Townsend or Reynolds LOL. Makes me wonder if we have the right people running the club still

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This and hopefully some of our younger guys like Hughes make big progress next year.
He hasn’t played them this year and we have the worst defensive record. Hughes won’t make the final 17 tomorrow even though he has been named against the Titans.

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He hasn’t played them this year and we have the worst defensive record. Hughes won’t make the final 17 tomorrow even though he has been named against the Titans.
Not sure what the reasoning is on that…maybe he doesn’t want to expose him to the clown show during the second half of the season.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure what the reasoning is on that…maybe he doesn’t want to expose him to the clown show during the second half of the season.
Maybe - but if you keep saying you are going to bring in players and you don’t the it will ultimately backfire on you.
However, I think we may see something different tomorrow - maybe Jayden Tanner who hasn’t played since the earlier rounds.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here.
The problem we made is very clear to me.
Two fold.
First.
we recruited heavy in the wrong positions.
Cotric, JAC, DWZ. Naden. Duffy. All wingers and defensive liabilities for the most part.
This was done with adding flair. But it caused the opposite problem.
For years I was saying none of that matters if we don’t recruit an experienced half and spine players. Still doesn’t. They is the glue. They be the heart of the team.
Look at how we overturned it in 2009. How broncos did this year and cowboys did last year.
Countless examples.
We should have held steady and gone all oit for Reynolds or Townsend or players of this I’ll as they became available.

The second issue is the Barret focus was youth obsessed.
Again I spoke out strongly about it at the time.
Barrett’s idea was he could a dynasty by buyin youth.
But what we cried out was experience.
An experienced team with a solid foundation need youth to go up a notch. A young inexperienced team needs leadership. Not more youth. Unless they are absolutely sublime talent like Benji and Robbie Farah appearing at once. Or Foran/DCE.
Both those times the players were basically the best of a generation.
Even the tigers example was only made possible because they nabbed Prince to help Benji.

When we got Burton, our immediate focus should have been to get Townsend who was out of favour at the time. I reckon 600k he was ours. We then had expetience and guidance with a young G.
We actually realised that when Gould came in board but we let Townsend through to the keeper and cowboys swooped and although Reynolds signed with the brumbies for less, I’m sure a cool million would have done it. Or at least keep Foran for the small multi year deal we asked.

Our balance has been wrong at every step. The only smart decision was Mahoney.
100% with this post.

All I'll say is that after taking a chance and realising you fucked up, it was even more important to go conservative and fix that fuck up immediately - not take another chance.

We put faith in Flanagan and it failed.
We then compounded it by putting faith in (the promising) Burton and it also has failed.

Instead of fixing the key problem, we keep shooting ourselves in the foot by keep trying to unearth the next big thing, rather than just pay for it.

DCE this year has shown why it was imperative that we had to sign an established top 5 half. He has literally carried his team through his experience and leadership, and although they don't play finals this year, their fans will be reasonably happy with the way they finished and will have full hope for next year.

We on the other hand.....

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘two good front rowers and a halfback.. the rest are athletes’ Chris Anderson when he put the Storms first roster together. Still seems to be the formula when you look at the top four 25 years later.
It's why Manly can't get the spoon....
It's almost impossible with a smart halfback.

It defies belief the club doesn't recognise this

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe - but if you keep saying you are going to bring in players and you don’t then it will ultimately backfire on you.
You tell your kids there's consequences for not being ready for school on time etc...and then don't go thru with your threat to not let them go to the movies (whatever)....similar to what CC has been doing by continually picking non-performers...they soon realise you don't keep your word and lose respect for you and continue pushing the envelope. Sounds as tho thats whats led to these kinds of performances.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What annoys me is the players who left playing finals this year and are fairly safe in good sides. What would they be like if they stayed and had good coaching here? Makes me feel like we have made some poor choices.

Meaney…
R. Smith…
C. Allan…
Montoya…
DWZ…

Not superstars by any stretch but obviously good coaches see their potential and give them a role that suits their abilities…