Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Also I'm okay with laying that much for a half. Id rather he be the running half and we had a steady 7 directing.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
as long as guarantees he is not going to play the ball facing the wrong way.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's so moronic them pointing out what Thurston was paid and what Mbye will reportedly get.

The cap was less than half then what it is now and it will be nearly triple by the time his contract would end. Typical rubbish journalism.

This deal was supposed to have been done six months ago. I would wait for the club to make an announcement but our club doesn't make announcements.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think 750 is too much and plus he's not nor ever will be a half
hes a very good 5/8 with blinding speed and an awesome running game
i might be wrong but def don't think he is worth 750

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't help but notice the word hopefully in there!

Hopefully we'll be off the verge soon...

Master

Waterboy
Reaction score
Geez this is a big gamble, a lot of money for an unproven half.
When we let go of Thurston we had Anasta and no one was that fussed, which ended up being the biggest mistake in the clubs history, if Bellamy was going hard for mbye and Walters considers him a future maroons half... U wouldnt expect the club to make the same mistake twice. Pay him whatever he wants and let's hope he ends up the player we have always needed.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's not worth 750k but unfortunately that's what the market dictates for a half. Halves, especially young halves, always get overpaid and overhyped.

Sandow signed for over 500k a year and that was about four years ago before the cap was as high as it is now or will be in four years.

I doubt that is the accurate figure. It'd probably be closer to 650k and then only 500k would count against the cap because of TPA's.

It's a lot for someone who hasn't proven he is worth it yet, but I think he'll have a big year and we'd rather keep him than lose him.

I'm quite sure we'll keep Klemmer and Jackson as well so while the club has made poor choices in retention in the last few years, they'll get it right in keeping these three for the long term.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Mbye is worth 750k, imagine what price tag we put on Hunt?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The simple answer is that nobody has a bloody clue whether his contract is good or bad value for the club as NRL contracts are not public, so even if it is the $750k (or whatever) that's reported, the only part that matters from the club's viewpoint is how much of that is guaranteed directly from the club and which counts towards the cap.

As the bigger clubs with good corporate backing show, the newspaper-quoted figure and the cap figure can be massively different things.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NOOSA junior Moses Mbye has secured the richest contract for a rookie in NRL history, with the Maroons hopeful pledging his future to Canterbury in a massive deal worth $3 million.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Mbye will remain at the Bulldogs until the end of 2020 after agreeing to a four-year extension worth a staggering $750,000 a season.

It is the most lucrative deal tabled for an emerging top-liner, with Mbye aged 22 and having played just 32 top-grade games since his NRL breakthrough at the Bulldogs two years ago.

At the same age, Johnathan Thurston was paid $220,000 by the Cowboys — meaning Mbye stands to earn more than triple that of his childhood hero at parallel stages of their careers.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy was keen to sign Mbye and the Bulldogs playmaker made a secret trip south over summer to inspect the Melbourne set-up.

But Canterbury have staved off the Storm’s poaching attempt after Mbye committed to the club long-term by signing a Memorandum of Understanding.

The Bulldogs will formalise the record deal before their Round 1 clash against Manly, with Canterbury boss Raelene Castle hailing Mbye a future captain.

“We’re in the final stages of completing his contract, it’s great news for the club,” Castle said.

“Moses has made it known to us that he has aspirations in leadership and he has all the qualities you would expect from a club captain.

“He is very mature young athlete, it’s a real credit to him. He has been in the Bulldogs system now for four or five years and he has built a lot of support with our fans. “He presents himself well on and off the field, and that’s the sort of athlete the Bulldogs want to have.

“When you have a young athlete like Moses coming through the grades and he wants to stay here long-term, it’s a great statement for the club.”

Queensland coach Kevin Walters underlined Mbye’s growing status in the Maroons’ pecking order by naming him in his Emerging Origin squad in January.

He will move into a senior playmaking role at Canterbury this season following the departure of Trent Hodkinson, and skipper James Graham backed Mbye to flourish.

“Moses has the world at his feet, if he keeps improving and working at his game, he can be anything,” Graham said.

“It’s been quite a quick rise. Twelve months ago, Moses was the outside back that would come in if there was a centre or halfback down injured and we would rejig to fit Moses into the team.

“Now he finds himself very much the starting six or seven for us. A lot of responsibility comes with that and I’m backing Moses to thrive on it and to kick his game on to another level.

“He is such a smart kid for someone who is 22, he has a really good head on his shoulders and has good life experience. I’m really excited about his future here.”

Mbye was linked with a possible move to the Titans, but harbours leadership ambitions at a Bulldogs club that signed him as a teenager.

“I would love to captain the Bulldogs down the track, I would like a leadership role here,” he recently told The Courier-Mail. “It’s a great club with a lot of history and I would love to captain the Bulldogs at senior level.

“Canterbury have been great to me. It’s nice to be in a position to make a decision that will be the best for my young family.”

Klemhammer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imagine if an article came out saying Moses mbye has signed with storms for 750k per season, would you be mad at the dogs for not matching? And calling for castle and des to be gone?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
“Now he finds himself very much the starting six or seven for us. A lot of responsibility comes with that and I’m backing Moses to thrive on it and to kick his game on to another level.

This is an interesting line. Or am I reading too much into this?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes a 5/8 not a halfback

This deal is based on hope rather than results

Yet to play a full season in the halves

Hope the figures are BS, the kid is yet to dominate so anything above 600K is rediculous dollars

When JT came to FG level he had absolutely smashed reserves, broke records all over... Apples and oranges

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im ok with it in the scheme of things its not huge money for a half

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just hope he doesn't get the same symptoms that Sandow developed when thrown massive dollars at a young age. Plenty of players who start earning big money decide that they're rich and that they don't need to work hard. Hope our club have made the right decision.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
GREAT news. Just a couple more to go before the season kicks off.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now he is on the big bucks he best make sure he matches the ability with the paycheck

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
About time.
A lot but probably fair.
Would find it interesting if we didn't pay, he didn't sign ended up somewhere else then turned out as good as he's expected.
We'd be kicking ourselves again.
He has the goods.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For some reason I would have preferred have gone for Cronk to put at 7 and leave Reynolds at 6 as he comes cheaper than mbye and is already signed. With Cronk running the show at the Bulldogs and organising set plays and shit like he does at storm and origin we would have demolished other teams I reackon. It's. It coincidence nsw won the series 2 years ago due to the absence of Cronk just like last year lol.
I honestly don't see the resemblance of mbye to Thurston, thirstonabsolutely ripped reserves like someone above said and also ripped first grade a new hole. I was devasted when Thurston left even though we had anasta I knew we let a great player go. Can't say the same about mbye if we let him go. Anyways for his sake I hope he performs as a 800k half day in day out or I will be smashing him from the sideline with abusive remarks lol in my mind, unless he plays the ball backwards again then that will be loud abuse for everyone to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.