Massive Earthquake Turkey and Syria

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My heart goes out to all those affected..especially the Syrian people.. already suffering and decaying under international sanctions..

At least 2600 dead in Turkey and Syria after 7.8 magnitude earthquake
Turkey and Syria have been hit with the most powerful earthquakes in nearly a century, killing over 2600 people in their sleep and burying hundreds more in rubble. Warning: Graphic

Merryn Johns and AFP
February 7, 2023 - 5:54AM
Daily Telegraph

The most powerful earthquake in nearly a century struck Turkey and Syria on Monday, killing over 2600 people in their sleep, levelling buildings and causing tremours felt as far away as Greenland.
The 7.8-magnitude night-time tremor, followed hours later by another quake measuring 7.5, wiped out entire sections of major Turkish cities in a region filled with millions of people who have fled the civil war in Syria and other conflicts.

The initial magnitude 7.8 earthquake hit at 4:17am local time. The 7.5 magnitude quake struck Southeastern Turkey about nine hours later at 1.24pm, local time.

Millions of people in Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, and Israel felt the earth shake.

The death toll is liable to rise significantly above the provisional tally of more than 2,600, the World Health Organisation has forecast.

“There’s continued potential of further collapses to happen so we do often see in the order of eight fold increases on the initial numbers,” the WHO’s senior emergency officer for Europe, Catherine Smallwood, told AFP.

The head of Syria’s National Earthquake Centre, Raed Ahmed, told pro-government radio that this was “the biggest earthquake recorded in the history of the centre”.

At least 968 people died in government-controlled parts of Syria, according to the latest toll.

In rebel-held parts of the northwest of the country, at least 380 people were killed and more than 1,000 were injured, The White Helmets rescue group said.

The toll may increase as “hundreds of families are still trapped”, the rescue group, which operates in rebel-controlled areas of the war-torn country, said on Twitter.

At least 1651 people also died in Turkey, Turkey’s emergency services said, with another 968 confirmed fatalities in Syria, putting that toll at 2619.

Shocked survivors in Turkey rushed out into the snow-covered streets in their pyjamas, watching rescuers dig through the debris of damaged homes with their hands.

The rescue was being hampered by a winter blizzard that covered major roads in ice and snow.

“Seven members of my family are under the debris,” Muhittin Orakci, a stunned survivor in Turkey’s mostly Kurdish city of Diyarbakir, told AFP.

“My sister and her three children are there. And also her husband, her father-in-law and her mother-in-law.”

Officials said the quake made three major airports in the area inoperable, further complicating deliveries of vital aid.

The initial quake was followed by more than 50 aftershocks, including a 7.5-magnitude tremor that jolted the region in the middle of search and rescue work on Monday afternoon.

AFP reporters and witnesses felt the second jolt as far apart as the Turkish capital Ankara and the Iraqi Kurdistan city of Irbil.

In Syria, rescuers have been rushing to search for survivors under the rubble of collapsed buildings since the earthquake hit Syria at dawn.

AFP correspondents in northern Syria said terrified residents ran out of their homes after the ground shook.

Osama Abdel Hamid, a quake survivor in Syria, said his family was sleeping the when shaking began.

“I woke up my wife and my children and we ran towards the door,” he said. “We opened it and suddenly all the building collapsed.” A spokesman for Syria’s civil defence said teams were scrambling to rescue trapped people.

“Many buildings in different cities and villages in northwestern Syria collapsed... Even now, many families are under the rubble,” said Ismail Alabdallah.

“We hear voices here - and over there, too,” one rescuer was overheard as saying on NTV television in front of a flattened building in the city of Diyarbakir.

“There may be 200 people under the rubble.”

SANA had reported earlier that the earthquake was felt from the western coast of Latakia to Damascus.

“This earthquake is the strongest since the National Earthquake Centre was founded in 1995,” Raed Ahmed, who heads the centre, told SANA.

Images on Turkish television and social media showed rescuers digging through the rubble of levelled buildings in the city of Kahramanmaras and neighbouring Gaziantep.

“I convey my best wishes to all our citizens who were affected by the earthquake,” Mr Erdogan tweeted.

“We hope that we will get through this disaster together as soon as possible and with the least damage.” The earthquake’s timing meant that most people were still sleeping at home, raising the potential toll.

NTV television said buildings also crumbed in the cities of Adiyaman and Malatya.

A fire lit up the night sky in one image from Kahramanmaras, although its origin remained unclear.

CNN Turk television said the quake was also felt across parts of central Turkey and the capital Ankara.

The tremors were felt in Lebanon, Syria and Cyprus, AFP reported.

Syrian state television reported that a building near Latakia, on the west coast of Syria, had collapsed.

Pro-government media said several buildings had partially collapsed in Hama, central Syria, with civil defence and firefighters working to pull survivors out of the rubble.

SYRIA REQUESTS URGENT INTERNATIONAL AID
The Syrian government on Monday urged the international community to come to its aid after more than 850 people died in the country following a 7.8-magnitude earthquake in neighbouring Turkey.

“Syria appeals to member states of the United Nations... the International Committee of the Red Cross and other humanitarian” groups to support “efforts to face the devastating earthquake”, the foreign ministry said in a statement.

Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said the Syrian government was ready “to provide all the required facilities to international organisations so they can give Syrians humanitarian aid”, after meeting with UN representatives and aid groups.

Washington, the European Union, India and Russia all immediately sent condolences and offers of help.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy offered to provide “the necessary assistance” to Turkey, whose combat drones are helping Kyiv fight the Russian invasion.

US President Joe Biden said he was “deeply saddened” and promised his country’s assistance Monday.

“I am deeply saddened by the loss of life and devastation caused by the earthquake in Turkiye and Syria. I have directed my team to continue to closely monitor the situation in coordination with Turkiye and provide any and all needed assistance,” the president tweeted from his official account.

“Our teams are deploying quickly to begin to support Turkish search and rescue efforts and address the needs of those injured and displaced by the earthquake,” he added in a statement later released by the White House.

China’s President Xi Jinping sent his condolences to Turkish and Syrian leaders on Monday.

Xi told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in separate messages he was “shocked” to learn of the disaster, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

He also conveyed “deep condolences for the dead and sincere sympathy for their families as well as for the injured.”

The United Arab Emirates on Monday pledged humanitarian assistance worth around $13.6 million (A$20 million) to Syria.

Turkey is in one of the world’s most active earthquake zones. The Turkish region of Duzce suffered a 7.4-magnitude earthquake in 1999 -- the worst to hit Turkey in decades.

That quake killed more than 17,000 people, including about 1,000 in Istanbul. Experts have long warned a large quake could devastate Istanbul, which has allowed widespread building without safety precautions.

A magnitude-6.8 quake hit Elazig in January 2020, killing more than 40 people. And in October that year, a magnitude-7.0 quake hit the Aegean Sea, killing 114 people and injuring more than 1,000.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Absolutely devastating. I was watching the news this morning, wondered how did so many high rise apartments get build in a zone like this.

It’s greed adding to even more tragedy.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just reread my first comment and I don’t think it made it clear..my heart goes out to Turkey as well.. I apologise if it only sounded like I was upset for Syria. It’s only that I know people there..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just seen a building collapsed on whole family which triggered a lady to go into labour the pulled the baby out by the umbilical cord rest of the family is dead,a miracle and tragedy all in one poor buggers
Oh my gosh Southy..

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Watching everything unfold on tv and even social media is heartbreaking and devastating. We don't know how lucky we are living here until we see something like this that really opens up our eyes.

I prayer for the victims and their families and friends, I can't imagine what they are going through.

Take solace in knowing that your loved ones are no longer living in a world full of corruption and greed.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will the world help Syria?
Tragic images, a horror movie coming true.

sam snee

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Will the world help Syria?
Tragic images, a horror movie coming true.
Yeah their really helping ask the usa what kinda help their offering,stealing and occupying northern Syrian oil fields,turkey only last week announced a peace plan with Syrians no doubt it ruffled major nato heads in the process

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah their really helping ask the usa what kinda help their offering,stealing and occupying northern Syrian oil fields,turkey only last week announced a peace plan with Syrians no doubt it ruffled major nato heads in the process
These sanctions are crippling Syria. My friend who is Syrian went back to see her family in 2016, 2019 and last year.. The place is visually decaying..they only have electricity for a couple of hours a day, food is hard to get, heating..gosh it’s just horrible to see..

And they are supposed to cope with this crisis? This is the time the world turns around and helps them..