Let's talk about our defense.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So seems to me that we handled the Titans attack pretty comfortably. We held out Parra and the Sharks for quite a long time despite the bad calls and the lop sided possession . I know it's early days but which teams or style of play do you think will trouble our defense?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Titans only attacked our line once in 80 mins, it was that stuff up between Brimson and Foran.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The focus on depth and reducing drop offs from injuries will take us far into the season. If we’re not complacent and remain resilient we will catch teams out we’re in it for the long run.
Raiders, storm and due a win against wahs. Honestly want to see have we fair out against south’s.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we're going to smoke most teams with brittle defence from the second row out. We don't have size going for us in our prop rotation right now. But we have a lot of footwork across the park, loads of pace and a lot of tackle busting ability on the edges, and I think if we can get into a grind early on we have plenty of X factor. We took advantage of the half chances on Saturday. If we can do that against the better teams we're at least in with a shot.

As far as our defence goes. I think the toughest area for us is going to be against teams with a well directed long kicking game. We'll rely on our outside backs to get good metres on kick returns to spare our forwards from starting way back. The longer it takes our wing/fullback to get there the harder the forwards need to work.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There were signs of better defence in the first 2 games even though we fell away in each. Our scramble is improving and a little confidence is building.

“If” we can continue to build on this and beat South’s it will be a huge step forward.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were signs of better defence in the first 2 games even though we fell away in each. Our scramble is improving and a little confidence is building.

“If” we can continue to build on this and beat South’s it will be a huge step forward.
Think CC strategy is improvement think his selections around listeners and that’s what we need.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ive mentioned the last two weeks that our defence has been 1st class. Cameron's tackling technique is coming together this season and is brilliant. Have you noticed we hit front on and drive opposition players back? I have not seen this type of defence since the dogs of war. Offence has just started to come together, i rate it at present only 25%. A whole lot of improvement there is needed. The Bulldogs were the only team in round three that kept their opponents to nil. Well done boys.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching jun reps yesterday - the kick chasers seem to have been inspired by Kikaus efforts.

Is it that markers making good decisions and putting in the effort are a key to Dogs defensive structure?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The focus on depth and reducing drop offs from injuries will take us far into the season. If we’re not complacent and remain resilient we will catch teams out we’re in it for the long run.
Raiders, storm and due a win against wahs. Honestly want to see have we fair out against south’s.
If we can get a fair go,and better than even possession, we should go OK against Souths.

I'm not expecting a fair go, however.

Listening to the "experts" yesterday, they were only concerned that Souths have a good game and get back onto the winning circle against us on Friday. Seems that a team that has lost three in a row is more deserving than one that lost multiple times in a row, finished near the bottom of the table, and is finally looking better than they have for half a decade.

It makes me think that the NRL need Souths to win.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we can get a fair go,and better than even possession, we should go OK against Souths.

Listening to the "experts" yesterday, they were only concerned that Souths have a good game and get back onto the winning circle against us on Friday. Seems that a team that has lost three in a row is more deserving than one that lost multiple times in a row, finished near the bottom of the table, and is finally looking better than they have for half a decade.

Yep it will be a fairy tale story for the NRL

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ive mentioned the last two weeks that our defence has been 1st class. Cameron's tackling technique is coming together this season and is brilliant. Have you noticed we hit front on and drive opposition players back? I have not seen this type of defence since the dogs of war. Offence has just started to come together, i rate it at present only 25%. A whole lot of improvement there is needed. The Bulldogs were the only team in round three that kept their opponents to nil. Well done boys.
Stopping off loads greatly improved last game too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Those commentator comments were just so biased. Just completely dismissed our chances and that we deserve some success and respect as well. I hope we are fired up to annihilate those bunnies and make those commentators eat their words :grinning:

But yeah only a few wouldn't believe a possible fix is on to help Souths. Hopefully we can take a rorting ref out of the game.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching jun reps yesterday - the kick chasers seem to have been inspired by Kikaus efforts.

Is it that markers making good decisions and putting in the effort are a key to Dogs defensive structure?
Our 1% plays have improved across the board this year because the bulk majority of our players are NRL standard and we have leaders that are leading by example, Kiraz has always been a one percent player but you could tell he was being inspired by kiks on the weekend.
Steel sharpens Steel.