Kids Shows Non-Binary Characters

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You're clearly arguing for the sake of it and deliberately missing the point for the sake of being a contrarian which is something you seem to enjoy so I won't go back and forth constantly..

Of course not every parent will have the same view. But the vast majority would in this instance.

There is zero double standard because you're comparing Pepe Le Pew kissing a cats arm against her will to rape and molestation which is ridiculous.

Each to their own, I'm not one to get outraged by every little thing or claim woke for everything but to me this was an absurd thing to watch with my daughter.

I don't think a cartoon should be trying to convince/educate pre school kids about considering changing their gender and dedicating a 15 minute episode to talking about it, but hey that's me. Netflix cancelled it so clearly many other people saw a problem with it...
Lol. And u asked for people's views. I gave mine and because I didn't agree you're making it personally about me. Gender identity and molestation are the same?

I'm not the one with the issue here bro.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You don't think a skunk aggressively pursuing a female cat who is clearly not interested and trying to run away is problematic, but you do find a show which attempts to normalise different ideas of identity as problematic? I don't think @Doogie is being a contrarian, at all. He is pointing out a clear double standard. Anti wokers have an issue with shows that explore identity, but when someone raises concerns over content of an older cartoon or children's story they see as harmful, it's cancel culture outrage.
Watch the episode of Ridley Jones and hear them talk about non binary for 15 minutes and tell me if you think that's appropriate for a pre school kids show? Again, forget double standards or comparisons to cartoons from the 60's which were in a completely different landscape..

In a vacuum, do you think this show should be discussing these issues for the entirety of the episode in a show targeted at 3-10 year olds?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol. And u asked for people's views. I gave mine and because I didn't agree you're making it personally about me. Gender identity and molestation are the same?

I'm not the one with the issue here bro.
What are you even talking about? You're more confused that the Bison in this stupid show. Haha

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch the episode of Ridley Jones and hear them talk about non binary for 15 minutes and tell me if you think that's appropriate for a pre school kids show? Again, forget double standards or comparisons to cartoons from the 60's which were in a completely different landscape..

In a vacuum, do you think this show should be discussing these issues for the entirety of the episode in a show targeted at 3-10 year olds?
The 60's had the best cartoons.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Even the Wiggles is getting in on the act with Shirley Shaun the unicorn and a puppet called Boc who are both non-binary. Look if people want to be woke and all fine but don’t force it on my kids!!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a very simple solution as many have already stated. Just don't watch it. Don't let your kids watch it.

Not every show is for everyone. If people like their kids watching gender non-binary stuff, cool for them. They can watch it and everyone else can watch something else.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you say its woke you are called a Boomer regardless of when you are born, if you complain about the sexuality discussions with children you are a homophobe. Its a fuckin disgrace and its this sort of shit that has seen radical right wing groups pop up all over the world which is equally fucked. Its tolerance gone rampant and it needs to be addressed or it will only get worse.

Kind regards
Bazil the homophobe boomer.
xx

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
And back in the day when a girl dressed in boys clothes she was a tom boy. Now because it's non binary it's an outrage.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
TBF though - and it I know it was in the minority of cases - but tv shows like Ninja turtles and Power Rangers have always garnered negative attention from watchgroups and parents - alot of which stems from actual violence that occurred by young children, citing such tv shows as their inspiration

Again, very few examples of it - and its almost arbitrary in terms of the number of children who committed such acts compared to the total viewers. Having said that - it does prove hw malleable children's minds are, and seeing them input such things in tv shows is dead set grooming in my eyes.
Grooming? Seriously, fam? I haven't watched the show in question, but from what I can gather from the description we are talking about one character in one episode and all the other characters are binary. That ain't grooming. That is just explaining to kids about different choices other kids may make about identity, or even reassuring them that confusing feelings they may be dealing with are not something to be ashamed of. I get that these ideas around gender fluidity are weird and scary to some, but whether they like it or not, they are part of society and here to stay. If kids aren't exposed to it through children's show, they will be exposed to it in the classroom, or when some movie or pop star they look up to comes out as trans or non binary.

If you don't get or agree with modern gender ideas and the concept of fluidity, that's one thing, but calling it grooming and suggesting it is predatory behaviour is way over the top.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, has anyone actually paid attention to an episode of Bluey? That shit is deep. There's episodes about sterility and child loss, dementia, evolution. Kids shows these days are deep.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you say its woke you are called a Boomer regardless of when you are born, if you complain about the sexuality discussions with children you are a homophobe. Its a fuckin disgrace and its this sort of shit that has seen radical right wing groups pop up all over the world which is equally fucked. Its tolerance gone rampant and it needs to be addressed or it will only get worse.

Kind regards
xx
People go to the extreme on either side. I don't think sexuality should be aimed at kids. But it has been for a long time. And I don't mean overly sexualised media. I mean sex education. Back when I was at school they taught it in 4th grade. I didn't need to know about it at that age.

But that's all pointless anyway because this discussion is about a non-binary character in a cartoon, which has nothing to do with sexuality.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's a very simple solution as many have already stated. Just don't watch it. Don't let your kids watch it.

Not every show is for everyone. If people like their kids watching gender non-binary stuff, cool for them. They can watch it and everyone else can watch something else.
The problem is unless you're watching everything with them, which you can't as a parent, then you won't know what they are and aren't sneaking in there..

Again, I have all sorts of conversations with my daughter. She knows her Uncle and Aunt prefer the same sex.. But this on a TV show was a shock when I saw it. I'm far from a shrieking violet. But I think it's inappropriate and more designed to pat themselves on the back and try and get publicity than to actually educate kids who would have no idea what they're on about anyway. So it's disingenuous and dangerous in my opinion.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is unless you're watching everything with them, which you can't as a parent, then you won't know what they are and aren't sneaking in there..

Again, I have all sorts of conversations with my daughter. She knows her Uncle and Aunt prefer the same sex.. But this on a TV show was a shock when I saw it. I'm far from a shrieking violet. But I think it's inappropriate and more designed to pat themselves on the back and try and get publicity than to actually educate kids who would have no idea what they're on about anyway. So it's disingenuous and dangerous in my opinion.
Now you're just being a bigot.
So what if a parent wants to let their kid be a drag queen?
Each to their own and it is what it is!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Honestly, it's hard to comment too much without having seen the episode, but if it's just one episode, dealing with one character, I have no issue with it, because chances are kids will be introduced to someone who identifies as non binary at school one day, if they haven't been already, and this sort of content prepares them for that. TV shows have always done this - had episodes which address themes that are particularly relevant to the times. If the bison character was going around saying there was a problem with people sticking to the gender roles that have been traditionally assigned to their sex, I'd have a different take.

Also, I don't think you can go around with an expectation that these sorts of discussions should take place in a vacuum. Different parents are going to have different ideas about what is appropriate for their kids, that's where parental discretion comes in, I suppose.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Kind regards
xx
Spot on Baz. You can be the most liberal person in the world but still have reservations about what messages are on certain shows designed at pre school kids and somehow that makes you a racist, misogynist and discriminatory Caveman according to some.

There is nowhere near enough room for discretion, middle ground or bipartisanship these days where people can have an opinion about one thing but think differently about the other. Not everything is extremes and absolutes. I hate that about today's society. I'm all for inclusiveness and awareness but they can go too far. Just like that stupid Yumi Stynes sex book designed for primary school kids last year that talked about anal sex, masturbation tips etc..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honestly, it's hard to comment too much without having seen the episode, but if it's just one episode, dealing with one character, I have no issue with it, because chances are kids will be introduced to someone who identifies as non binary at school one day, if they haven't been already, and this sort of content prepares them for that. TV shows have always done this - had episodes which address themes that are particularly relevant to the times. If the bison character was going around saying there was a problem with people sticking to the gender roles that have been traditionally assigned to their sex, I'd have a different take.

Also, I don't think you can go around with an expectation that these sorts of discussions should take place in a vacuum. Different parents are going to have different ideas about what is appropriate for their kids, that's where parental discretion comes in, I suppose.
Of course it will come up eventually. We live around the Inner West. Half of her High School will probably be referred to as them/they. Haha. But we'll deal with that as it comes.. I thought this was massively over the top. Again it got taken off Netflix so clearly tonnes of other parents and Netflix themselves had a problem with it enough to take it off..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The teletubbies being aimed at a younger audience disturbs me.

Maybe google if there's controversial issues in the cartoons before letting the kids watch. Someone feeling your outrage has probably raged about it already. And then you can report it as being age inappropriate to the censorship group that has ads pop up a few times daily.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The teletubbies being aimed at a younger audience disturbs me.

Maybe google if there's controversial issues in the cartoons before letting the kids watch. Someone feeling your outrage has probably raged about it already. And then you can report it as being age inappropriate to the censorship group that has ads pop up a few times daily.
That teletubbies shit made a lot of speech therapists rich in the late 90's to early 2000's.