Kids Shows Non-Binary Characters

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting. Warner Bros characters back in the day used to shoot each other, assault each other, kidnap each other, restrain each other, all signs of your typical mass murderer.

And yet - it was funny and I don't believe we trained up a generation of mass murderers from it.
Excellent.

So by that logic, I will teach my kids that what is being taught in these shows (as outlined in the OP) is ALL a big joke, and not real. Ie - make believe, pretend.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Excellent.

So by that logic, I will teach my kids that what is being taught in these shows (as outlined in the OP) is ALL a big joke, and not real. Ie - make believe, pretend.
but, but we need less white people if want society to move forward!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Excellent.

Well if you are depending on kids television shows in the morning to educate your kids, yeah.

Like maybe we should stop talking bison in tele. After all, your kids might grab a furrie suit and want to be a bison.

We look at cancel culture with shows from 40 years ago and say but that was funny. Now we look at modern shows and say that's inappropriate. Maybe this is more about us than the show itself.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting. Warner Bros characters back in the day used to shoot each other, assault each other, kidnap each other, restrain each other, all signs of your typical mass murderer.

And yet - it was funny and I don't believe we trained up a generation of mass murderers from it.
I don't understand your point... This show wasn't trying to be funny. It was trying to confuse 3-10 year old kids about gender and identifying as non binary in a serious manner.

Which is a lot different to Bugs dressing in lipstick and drag to fool Yosemite Sam which was clearly a joke.

And you can be liberal minded like I consider myself to be and my daughter will be without wanting certain discussions being forced down your kids throat before they're ready to even comprehend the subject.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well if you are depending on kids television shows in the morning to educate your kids, yeah.

Like maybe we should stop talking bison in tele. After all, your kids might grab a furrie suit and want to be a bison.

We look at cancel culture with shows from 40 years ago and say but that was funny. Now we look at modern shows and say that's inappropriate. Maybe this is more about us than the show itself.
Definitely not allowing TV to educate my kids, but it is entertainment for them, but I take your point that there might be some who do otherwise.

It's a shame we need to vet every damn show before we allow our kids to watch them is probably my main gripe now. Cocomelon has also taken a woke turn, as has Peppa Pig among others.

Thankfully, streaming services allow for shows from my own youth (Winnie the Pooh is a great example) - it may mean giving money to the devil (Disney), but at least we get some good out of it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Here we go.. Who is wanting the TV to educate my daughter? Far from it, she watches a bit for entertainment. If they have fun facts about animals or spelling etc like some shows do even better. But are you saying any subject is okay to broach on pre school programming?

Again, why stop there and not have a Dora Explorer episode where she gets an abortion? Or her sister got molested by her Uncle etc? Why stop at binary/non-binary?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Here we go.. Who is wanting the TV to educate my daughter? Far from it, she watches a bit for entertainment. If they have fun facts about animals or spelling etc like some shows do even better. But are you saying any subject is okay to broach on pre school programming?

Again, why stop there and not have a Dora Explorer episode where she gets an abortion? Or her sister got molested by her Uncle etc? Why stop at binary/non-binary?
Did u see the post I responded to or just assumed I was responding to yours?

The one that specifically mentioned teach kids.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I don't understand your point... This show wasn't trying to be funny. It was trying to confuse 3-10 year old kids about gender and identifying as non binary in a serious manner.

Which is a lot different to Bugs dressing in lipstick and drag to fool Yosemite Sam which was clearly a joke.

And you can be liberal minded like I consider myself to be and my daughter will be without wanting certain discussions being forced down your kids throat before they're ready to even comprehend the subject.
Just saying that gratuitous violence with kids is ok because it's funny. Yet discussing gender issues is not.

Seems very weird to me.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

I wish He-Man and She-Ra were still on tv.
Even as big and tough as He-Man is, he would still prefer to resolve conflict without violence if possible?

They even ended each show with a message from the characters, reviewing their actions and giving the viewers a message.

Usually about how violence doesn't solve anything.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just saying that gratuitous violence with kids is ok because it's funny. Yet discussing gender issues is not.

Seems very weird to me.
You must have watched different Looney Tunes episodes to me. I don't remember any heads getting severed.

What's the point of discussing it when the kids don't even understand what they're talking about? Again, answer my question of why not discuss molestation since you think it should be open slather to discuss any and all issues?

I'd argue that's a more important issue to discuss that young kids need to be aware of than what gender they do/don't identify as.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Seems very weird to me.
TBF though - and it I know it was in the minority of cases - but tv shows like Ninja turtles and Power Rangers have always garnered negative attention from watchgroups and parents - alot of which stems from actual violence that occurred by young children, citing such tv shows as their inspiration

Again, very few examples of it - and its almost arbitrary in terms of the number of children who committed such acts compared to the total viewers. Having said that - it does prove hw malleable children's minds are, and seeing them input such things in tv shows is dead set grooming in my eyes.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
TBF though - and it I know it was in the minority of cases - but tv shows like Ninja turtles and Power Rangers have always garnered negative attention from watchgroups and parents - alot of which stems from actual violence that occurred by young children, citing such tv shows as their inspiration

Again, very few examples of it - and its almost arbitrary in terms of the number of children who committed such acts compared to the total viewers. Having said that - it does prove hw malleable children's minds are, and seeing them input such things in tv shows is dead set grooming in my eyes.
The media tried blaming Chucky and Freddy for Jamie Bulgars murder!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You must have watched different Looney Tunes episodes to me. I don't remember any heads getting severed.

What's the point of discussing it when the kids don't even understand what they're talking about? Again, answer my question of why not discuss molestation since you think it should be open slather to discuss any and all issues?

I'd argue that's a more important issue to discuss that young kids need to be aware of than what gender they do/don't identify as.
U mean molestation as in pepe le pew in the old warner bros cartoons?

You said yourself. Your daughter seemed to not have an issue with what she was watching. You saw it and discussed it with her. And it was over her head. That's the way I read what you posted.

So u have decided what's appropriate or not for your kid to watch. That's cool. That's your prerogative. But just because u think it's not appropriate doesn't mean other parents have the same view. And trying to line up questions of identity with molestation as your argument, sure.

Everyone quotes being woke when someone complains about something that aligns with your world view. But when something that doesn't align with your world view comes along its justifiable outrage. With censors etc screening all this and being much more strict on inappropriate content, and it passing, the outrage seems very double standard to me.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Yeah. Played dungeons and dragons as a kid and apparently I worshipped Satan and was about to become a mass murderer. Go figure.

I have no issue with it personally. And I reckon for 99.9 % of kids they don't even notice what they are seeing or care. I'm fairly sure the idea of this was not to groom kids but to normalise kids views when they interact with another person who does have that view. Very different and anything that removes the idea of persecution isn't a bad thing.

But this gets back to the old chestnut. If u are that worried about it, check what your kids are watching. And if not, don't. It's that simple.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
U mean molestation as in pepe le pew in the old warner bros cartoons?

You said yourself. Your daughter seemed to not have an issue with what she was watching. You saw it and discussed it with her. And it was over her head. That's the way I read what you posted.

So u have decided what's appropriate or not for your kid to watch. That's cool. That's your prerogative. But just because u think it's not appropriate doesn't mean other parents have the same view. And trying to line up questions of identity with molestation as your argument, sure.

Everyone quotes being woke when someone complains about something that aligns with your world view. But when something that doesn't align with your world view comes along its justifiable outrage. With censors etc screening all this and being much more strict on inappropriate content, and it passing, the outrage seems very double standard to me.
You're clearly arguing for the sake of it and deliberately missing the point for the sake of being a contrarian which is something you seem to enjoy so I won't go back and forth constantly..

Of course not every parent will have the same view. But the vast majority would in this instance.

There is zero double standard because you're comparing Pepe Le Pew kissing a cats arm against her will to rape and molestation which is ridiculous.

Each to their own, I'm not one to get outraged by every little thing or claim woke for everything but to me this was an absurd thing to watch with my daughter.

I don't think a cartoon should be trying to convince/educate pre school kids about considering changing their gender and dedicating a 15 minute episode to talking about it, but hey that's me. Netflix cancelled it so clearly many other people saw a problem with it...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You're clearly arguing for the sake of it and deliberately missing the point for the sake of being a contrarian which is something you seem to enjoy so I won't go back and forth constantly..

Of course not every parent will have the same view. But the vast majority would in this instance.

There is zero double standard because you're comparing Pepe Le Pew kissing a cats arm against her will to rape and molestation which is ridiculous.

Each to their own, I'm not one to get outraged by every little thing or claim woke for everything but to me this was an absurd thing to watch with my daughter.

I don't think a cartoon should be trying to convince/educate pre school kids about considering changing their gender and dedicating a 15 minute episode to talking about it, but hey that's me. Netflix cancelled it so clearly many other people saw a problem with it...
You don't think a skunk aggressively pursuing a female cat who is clearly not interested and trying to run away is problematic, but you do find a show which attempts to normalise different ideas of identity as problematic? I don't think @Doogie is being a contrarian, at all. He is pointing out a clear double standard. Anti wokers have an issue with shows that explore identity, but when someone raises concerns over content of an older cartoon or children's story they see as harmful, it's cancel culture outrage.