News JMK WANTS TO BE A TOP 5 HOOKER

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jeremy Marshall-King is confident he’s “got another level to come” and has set himself a bold goal ahead of his biggest season yet.

The 26-year-old has declared he wants to be in the top five hookers by the end of the season — and has the backing of Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett to do it.

And in a sure sign that the once-embattled Bulldogs are now a club that players genuinely want to play for, Marshall-King has revealed he wants to stay in Belmore even when star hooker Reed Mahoney claims the No.9 jersey next season.
In an interview with foxsports.com.au, Marshall-King acknowledged that this is a “big year” for him before declaring that the Bulldogs faithful still hasn’t seen his full potential.

I want to put my best foot forward and I don’t think I’ve done that the last three or four years,” he said.

“I’ve got good players around me so I’m really looking forward to doing it and showing everyone what I’ve really got.

“I’m going to be running a lot more and doing more in attack as well.

“I’ve got another level to come so it’s going to be a massive season for me. I want to show the fans what I’ve really got.”

The New Zealand-born hooker singled out Storm superstar Brandon Smith as the best No.9 in the game.

He plans on mimicking his running game this season. He also believes the go-forward of new recruits Tevita Pangai Jr and former Kangaroo Paul Vaughan will help create more opportunities for him.

To be honest I’ve set my goals pretty high,” Marshall-King conceded when asked what he wants to achieve this year.

“I want to be in at least the top five hookers in the game. I know that I can do it and ‘Baz’ has told me it too, he’s said ‘there’s a better side of you that’s still to come out.’

“He’s only been here for a year and a bit but he’s been backing me the whole time and telling me to believe in myself and what I do. I really appreciate that from him.”
Marshall-King made his debut for the Tigers in 2017 before joining the Dogs the following season. He started off as a bench utility and by the end of 2019 became the club’s first-choice hooker.

He’s played 76 NRL games and has represented New Zealand in the World Cup Nines.

But no matter how dominant he is this year, he’ll have to hand over the No.9 jersey to Mahoney next season who will join the Bulldogs on a big-money four-year deal.

Marshall-King signed a two-year extension last July, keeping him at the club until the end of 2023.

But after already spending more than two seasons as a starting hooker, you wouldn’t blame him if he were to agitate for an early release — especially when there’s a 17th team entering the competition next season that’s yet to sign a hooker.

He admitted he has thought about the impact of Mahoney’s arrival, however he wants to stay to be a part of the success the Bulldogs are building towards.

“I would like to stay just with the rebuilding side of it and all of the good players we’ve just signed, it would be good to be a part of it... but I just have to focus on this year and really go for it,” he said.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Him performing in the top 5 hookers this year is a win-win for us, it will mean we have over performed and then get Mahoney next year.

I’ll believe it when I see it but.

I agree mate.

You know what happens if this comes truethough Dont you. Lmao..

The Kennel melts down yelling and stamping thier feet about how we should have kept JMK.

Why oh Why did the club spend so much on Mahoney....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree mate.

You know what happens if this comes truethough Dont you. Lmao..

The Kennel melts down yelling and stamping thier feet about how we should have kept JMK.

Why oh Why did the club spend so much on Mahoney....
100% that happens haha