has Lafai bulked up too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulking up has nothing to do with poor positional play in defence.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Lafai look too heavy and slow this year? he has bulked up a hell of lot and im thinking he might have spent too much time on the weights....last night he looked like he was running in wet cement when he was running on to the ball
He looked the normal size to me but slower definitely. Actually I thought that the hamstring scare that we heard about just after he got back from the four nations was giving him grief.

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes. He looks restricted in his running also.... maybe suffering from an injury?
i posted a thread at the end of last year saying he had done a hammy at training... got rejected

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we play to flat which makes life for a centre very hard in attack. Seems to me it is all about defence for our Centres hence the bulky style we have with both Josh and Lafai. A creative halfback could change that!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dared to speak about Lafai in previous posts and everyone was infuriated that I had the gall to speak about him. Now a lot of people are beginning to realise his deficiencies.
Fitness may be one reason, but that doesnt really explain why hes out of position and missing tackles. He also has lost a lot of speed. Perhaps its the grotesque haircut.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He was never that quick to begin with. He's more of a power player with great footwork who can bust a tackle with ease. He needs more space and ball.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was never that quick to begin with. He's more of a power player with great footwork who can bust a tackle with ease. He needs more space and ball.
I agree with this, though these attributes would suit him better in the backrow rather than in the centres

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
+ 1

He needs much better ball.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Lafai look too heavy and slow this year? he has bulked up a hell of lot and im thinking he might have spent too much time on the weights....last night he looked like he was running in wet cement when he was running on to the ball
Exactly what I think. It might be good but only in certain circumstances. If you watched Cowboys V Knights, it helped Leilua being big and strong.

To me though, Tim needs to be able to use his footwork which he can't do being chunky.

Opposite problem to Mbye and Hok.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Looks to me Desmond want defensive centres and attacking wingers.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we play to flat which makes life for a centre very hard in attack. Seems to me it is all about defence for our Centres hence the bulky style we have with both Josh and Lafai. A creative halfback could change that!
Except last season we did the exact same plays but Lafai was able to break the line with ease based entirely on individual skill.

He looks hampered by something lately and it's restricting him from playing at his best.

Malla

Reaction score
Doesn't pass? I am certain he put on a try for Perrett on the weekend.

Malla

Reaction score
Except last season we did the exact same plays but Lafai was able to break the line with ease based entirely on individual skill.

He looks hampered by something lately and it's restricting him from playing at his best.
You are comparing 30 games of footy last year to 2 this year.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They need size because we stand so flat in attack. Both Lafai and Morris need early ball, this gives them a chance to wind up and get throug . Because we stand so flat more often then not they need to brush away first tackle because when they get the ball they have somone in their face. If they are slim, they will be even worse in attack.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I agree with this, though these attributes would suit him better in the backrow rather than in the centres
Very similar positions these days..he still has a bit of toe but.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fair assessment I think.Tim has been a trifle sluggish this year and made a few mistakes in defence on Friday night in that terrible 5 to 10 mins after half time but I thought he tried to make up for it and threw a good pass to Perrett for him to score.Surely Des would not play him under done.

Status
Not open for further replies.