Halves Lack Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The more I watch Mbye the more I see him as a centre...... he cant kick and he can get the ball out the backline on his side, Rona and Morris are starved of ball each game and all our tries are being scored on Reynolds side of the field, so its like our team has suffered a stroke and only one side is working

I cant see him being worth the huge money he's demanding when he cant do the basics required by a half, his only attacking weapon is his running game & from memory he played a lot of his u/20's origin games at centre....although his defence is also very poor and might be even more exposed out a bit wider (would hate to be the winger outside him)

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
A person who knows a lot more about League than I ever pretend to know told me that Mbye has the potential to be a superstar at hooker. Not a half, not a centre but a top shelf hooker.

Could that have something to do with the Brooks rumours, that we are all thinking spells doom and gloom for Reynolds?

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
On another note. When we were chasing points in the last 7 or 8 minutes and playing footy, how much better did the team look?

I watched a replay the other day and it was clear that only when we got behind with not long to go did the team actually look to play what was in front of them. The intensity lifted massively in the last 10 mins and they were punching holes, playing straight and running off each other. The rest of the game, I've got no idea what was going on and why.

I know its easy to be an armchair critic but its as plain as the nose on your face that the get to the kick at about halfway tactic is not working and we should be using the backline and playing more off the cuff, not only in the middle of the park.

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to point the finger at the halves when you lose a game.
Tonight, pretty much every player, baring a couple, had shit moments. Pretty hard for a half to control a game in that kind of environment.
Soward killed the roosters with his kicking game in the last 15mins. Need someone who can kick deep and get repeat sets

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That isn't the problem imo. Our halves don't even get the chance to control the team. We play through the motions each week. Tell me how a half is going to control a team when they arn't allowed in the middle third of the field? It is simply not possible. Des needs to go, we need a shake up.
100% spot on

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On another note. When we were chasing points in the last 7 or 8 minutes and playing footy, how much better did the team look?

I watched a replay the other day and it was clear that only when we got behind with not long to go did the team actually look to play what was in front of them. The intensity lifted massively in the last 10 mins and they were punching holes, playing straight and running off each other. The rest of the game, I've got no idea what was going on and why.

I know its easy to be an armchair critic but its as plain as the nose on your face that the get to the kick at about halfway tactic is not working and we should be using the backline and playing more off the cuff, not only in the middle of the park.
Happened against Melbourne and Penrith when we got behind I feel it's when they move away from the Hasler gameplan and as you say play what's in front the forwards go forward, halves link the play and outside backs score

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Haslers game plans seem to only consist of 60mins of football, depending on the scoreboard, the last 20mins is only one of two things, defend for your life and try to hold the lead... or as we've seen many times now, throw the ball around and play to your ability to score a few tries in the dying stage of the game.

We seem to get teams looking clueless in defense when we start breaking away from the bullshit game plan that's been forced on the boys.

If the boys just got together and ditched the game plan and played to their ability for a single half, we'd see our true halves and our true potential.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same thing today

Reynolds goes for unnecassary miracle bat back gifting a try

Mbye fg attempt into Grahams back which should have cost us the game

I can cut Mbye some slack due to inexperience but Reynolds been in FG since 2012 and still clueless at crucial times

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haslers game plans seem to only consist of 60mins of football, depending on the scoreboard, the last 20mins is only one of two things, defend for your life and try to hold the lead... or as we've seen many times now, throw the ball around and play to your ability to score a few tries in the dying stage of the game.

We seem to get teams looking clueless in defense when we start breaking away from the bullshit game plan that's been forced on the boys.

If the boys just got together and ditched the game plan and played to their ability for a single half, we'd see our true halves and our true potential.
Broncos are the best second half team, its going to get ugly when we play them.

Ogre

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
both our 'halves' need a long look at themselves. mbye i will cut some slack because we havent really seen him perform beside a proper number 7, reynolds on the other hand isnt good even as a 5/8. last week he went for a kick when we had 7 tackles in front of goal 69th-ish minute. Today he went for a miracle bat back which nearly costed us the game! Who does that?
when was the last time our halves looked as though they could work? when was the last time our halves managed to successfully get a 40/20?
We need a change in the halves. Hopefully one of our younger grade halves will step up or at least our current ones.

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Broncos are the best second half team, its going to get ugly when we play them.
Just like they did last time when we played in Brisbane and lost Lichaa after 20 mins oh wait no they didn't Broncos simply can not handle our pack it does not matter who plays in the halves match up wise we have it all over them

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I watch Mbye the more I see him as a centre......
I've said this myself. I can see him being excellent in that Jamie Lyon type role. Clearly he's got more pace than the obese pig-chaser now does, but while Lyon bounced in and out of the halves earlier in his career, Manly had the good sense to eventually settle him in the centres.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just like they did last time when we played in Brisbane and lost Lichaa after 20 mins oh wait no they didn't Broncos simply can not handle our pack it does not matter who plays in the halves match up wise we have it all over them
Yeh, I remember when we beat them in 2008 at suncorp............How did that season end? my memory is a bit hazy.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Same thing today

Reynolds goes for unnecassary miracle bat back gifting a try

Mbye fg attempt into Grahams back which should have cost us the game

I can cut Mbye some slack due to inexperience but Reynolds been in FG since 2012 and still clueless at crucial times
Lol he also set up two tries made some breaks defended well and iced our win when Mbye fluffed his lines twice

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeh, I remember when we beat them in 2008 at suncorp............How did that season end? my memory is a bit hazy.
???? We have it all over them as long as the forwards play to there abilities and strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.