Official Gus on Twitter

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the bunker is we don't see the guy in the room.

If the bunker was visible at the game or atleast broadcast their decision on the big screen they wouldn't have the ability to hide.

They shouldn't be called the bunker... they shoukd be known as the 4th ref like soccer and be visible to the world.

I suggest this will likely Cut out the bias and corruption officiating.
Why do you need to see them?

Call them the Bunker, 4th official or whatever you want. They are not hiding anything. It’s public knowledge who is in the bunker. Their name is published on the match day list. How will seeing them get rid of bias?

If they go with a panel option. Totally independent from each other. Majority rules it takes out or lessens the bias/corruption and stops a lot of the one out incompetence that is currently there with howlers.

This panel needs to be full time though. The same people adjudicating on every game every week. If nothing more at least consistency in rulings would be better.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
O'Neill will get first crack at 7 before Woods and we still have Karl to come back next year as well
Yeah I agree O’Neill is out in front he’s already playing NSW cup. Unfortunately going to be a tough one for Karl he’ll likely be eased back in slowly after missing the full 2024. There is still no return date yet either. I really hope he makes it back.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jammer's concept is that the 3 are NOT in the same room, no debate which removes the delay problem previously, they just vote separately and 2 out of 3 decides.

Always a Bulldog
Yeah that's what I heard him say. Would like the NRL to at least trial it, keep the current system going but get a few ex-players and coaches onto the tech and have them make live decisions at the same time as the bunker ref, with the data staying in house (no need to embarrass anyone). After a few rounds analyse the data and see if there is some variance, how often would the bunker ref have been outvoted, and how much impact would a different decision have potentially made. Then publish the results along with a decision whether to implement the changes officially.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I heard him say. Would like the NRL to at least trial it, keep the current system going but get a few ex-players and coaches onto the tech and have them make live decisions at the same time as the bunker ref, with the data staying in house (no need to embarrass anyone). After a few rounds analyse the data and see if there is some variance, how often would the bunker ref have been outvoted, and how much impact would a different decision have potentially made. Then publish the results along with a decision whether to implement the changes officially.
This would be a great start. As you say in-house monitoring and seeing how decisions would vary if it was a collective decision.

Even if it was implemented I don’t think it would be wise to publicly say who made what decision. The public would only see Try or No Try etc. The analysis of individual performances can be addressed behind closed doors.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And the refs or ex players who make mistakes move down the pecking order. Simple.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why do you need to see them?

Call them the Bunker, 4th official or whatever you want. They are not hiding anything. It’s public knowledge who is in the bunker. Their name is published on the match day list. How will seeing them get rid of bias?

If they go with a panel option. Totally independent from each other. Majority rules it takes out or lessens the bias/corruption and stops a lot of the one out incompetence that is currently there with howlers.

This panel needs to be full time though. The same people adjudicating on every game every week. If nothing more at least consistency in rulings would be better.
So what if there name is published its being seen in front of anyone and everyone that really puts you under pressure to make the right call.

Its bascially the difference between being a keyboard warrior and saying shit in physical scenario.

You look at other sports... the refs on field make the final decision, in front of the world, you CANT HIDE!

The majority rules thing is stupid, too many calls from different places... I cant imagine how long it will take to get a decision and it wwont stop shit.. ***** able to make calls from hiding spots wont work.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't think it will be next year but I would be surprised if he isnt around first grade in 2 years. He was wanted by the AFL and Rugby before re-signing with us, so I'd assume he has a few assurances in his contract.

I think a player of his talent (the top 1% of junior players) has the potential to take huge leaps from the age of 18-20. Especially when footy becomes his sole priority after school.

I hope he can make it, but he is arguably the biggest talent the clubs had come through in over a decade.
Maybe but doubt it.. He is a ballzy kid, throws his body around but is still very small and skinny. He'll need to BLOW UP very quickly to handle NRL... I would be patient with him.

I honestly think were sticking with Hutch until Oneil is ready and then wait for Woods to knock Oneil of the perch.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Poor kid, probably got told the news he was in, in a couple weeks. Then went extra hard at training. 10 weeks seems excessive for a fractured arm. I’d say more 6 to 8.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah was pissed off when we signed that dud. I don't want him in our jersey, not even in reserves, he will pollute them.
That saying of throw them in the deep end and sink or swim

He has to adapt, don't think just one player can affect the others

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not expecting anything from sutton, just a contract we have to bear for 2 years
See how it goes. He has been raring to go on sidelines all year and even since last pre season.. i think it will be a different Sutto to last year and if we get Canberra form from him then atleast it's another NRL quality bigger body to choose. Would rather him over Poasa tbh if we have add another forward.