Official Gus on Twitter

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be BS but I read a report on FB that Gus has been seen in Newcastle and that he was there to talk to one or both the Saifiti brothers. Problem was neither were there as they're both overseas on holidays so that suggests to me the story is either BS or he was there for talks with someone else.

Saifiti brothers are good bench players but they're definitely not the answer to our forward problems. Far more negatives than positives with them IMO.
Their managers still may be in Newcastle though, doubt it but possible or maybe he went to speak to someone at Knights about the possibility of it but I see where you're coming from.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone is just hanging out because even though our roster is improving dramatically we still don't have the props we need to compete with the best teams. Signing just one elite prop such as D. Saf dramatically changes our prospects for the 24 season.
We will be fine honestly it's just off season and nothing to report other than BS. But wait we should hear from 04dreaming's sauce about how the Bulldogs are going to sign ray dib the jahesh back to the board

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The best way to look at things is to split Gus's two roles.

If you consider Gus1 being the one in charge of juniors and pathways -hes done a great job and the fruits of this will be seen in first grade (with us or other clubs) in afew years time.

If you look at Gus2 however (the one in charge of recruitment/retention/team management) you could argue that while he has been active.... It's been a disappointment.

So if you average things out, Gus' performance has been - average really.

Together with the coach (his appointment) they'll need to improve the first grade results and position quickly because as much Gus1 has done a great job, most people will judge him on Gus2 -especially fans.
So recruiting Crichton, arguably the best RL centre in the world, has been disappointing. Very interesting take.

Convincing Xerri, who was chased by a number of NRL clubs, to play for us was disappointing. Another interesting take.

Curran, another disappointing recruitment.

It would seem that your disappointment is based on media speculation about not signing random players that were most likely not even available for us to sign.

Always a Bulldog

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The best way to look at things is to split Gus's two roles.

If you consider Gus1 being the one in charge of juniors and pathways -hes done a great job and the fruits of this will be seen in first grade (with us or other clubs) in afew years time.

If you look at Gus2 however (the one in charge of recruitment/retention/team management) you could argue that while he has been active.... It's been a disappointment.

So if you average things out, Gus' performance has been - average really.

Together with the coach (his appointment) they'll need to improve the first grade results and position quickly because as much Gus1 has done a great job, most people will judge him on Gus2 -especially fans.
I 100% agree with you. Me personally I only really care about FG results and NRL fixtures. As an interstate fan I couldn't really care less about junior/pathways results.

However if you look at most of the comments here the majority are Staunch Phull supporters and are prepared to accept poor results and shit performances so long as we might start showing promise by 2026. It's a coping mechanism looking for positives and also Goulds way of rallying support for himself and the coach.

But yeah to turn up and say to the world the coach performed brilliantly and the players are the only ones to blame for poor results was poor form from a GM

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just re-sign players and promote from within. A novel idea I know but generally works well. Add them with the 5 marquees and a half decent coach it works better don't you think? We pver looked a premiership coach and a dual Bulldogs premiership player for the current one.
that's what Gus is aiming for - basically the Penrith model. Only works well when the junior base is working well, which is starting to happen, including some good young players from elsewhere. We now need to get a prop and a half into those marquee spots, but they're scarce. Fair point about the coach - it's not great so far.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everyone is just hanging out because even though our roster is improving dramatically we still don't have the props we need to compete with the best teams. Signing just one elite prop such as D. Saf dramatically changes our prospects for the 24 season.
Place the big 3 a team without a well rounded middle it would struggle to scrape the 8.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I 100% agree with you. Me personally I only really care about FG results and NRL fixtures. As an interstate fan I couldn't really care less about junior/pathways results.

However if you look at most of the comments here the majority are Staunch Phull supporters and are prepared to accept poor results and shit performances so long as we might start showing promise by 2026. It's a coping mechanism looking for positives and also Goulds way of rallying support for himself and the coach.

But yeah to turn up and say to the world the coach performed brilliantly and the players are the only ones to blame for poor results was poor form from a GM
So you don’t want strong juniors coming through? Strange take bro

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
that's what Gus is aiming for - basically the Penrith model. Only works well when the junior base is working well, which is starting to happen, including some good young players from elsewhere. We now need to get a prop and a half into those marquee spots, but they're scarce. Fair point about the coach - it's not great so far.
Very ordinary so far. His game plan is horrendous

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No reason not to have/want strong juniors coming through but you can also have some sort of short term success (at least acceptable results considering) in the NRL squad until/before then. I personally think we've butchered that the last few years basically since Baz came on board. If Ciradlo has another poor year it's likely the drums start beating again (for the majority).

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oh yeah you could have the best juniors in the history of the sport and thats great but if the flagship team has continued poor results despite the "pathways" brilliance, that doesn't make me stand and applaud for a job well done like it does yourself I guess.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plucking names out of the air is not recruiting strategy, let's kill 2 off the list;

Heilum Luki - Signed with Cowboys until 2025, we are not allowed to talk to him until November 1 next year.
Justin Matamua - Signed with the Tigers until 2025, we are not allowed to talk to him until November 1 next year.

Always a Bulldog
Is the NRL a dictatorship?
I'm sure anyone that both of above desire to talk to, can talk to them.
The issue is contracts, as in not being able to enter formal negotiations for a contract or able to offer one (may be wrong with the negotiations part, if so give me a 'keep trying' sticker or whatever you desire, I don't care, it's the point that matters).

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could be BS but I read a report on FB that Gus has been seen in Newcastle and that he was there to talk to one or both the Saifiti brothers. Problem was neither were there as they're both overseas on holidays so that suggests to me the story is either BS or he was there for talks with someone else.

Saifiti brothers are good bench players but they're definitely not the answer to our forward problems. Far more negatives than positives with them IMO.
Maybe Matt Croker

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh yeah you could have the best juniors in the history of the sport and thats great but if the flagship team has continued poor results despite the "pathways" brilliance, that doesn't make me stand and applaud for a job well done like it does yourself I guess.
K bro. If you don’t think every good team in the salary cap era of the game has had good juniors coming through then I don’t know what to tell you

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Matt Croker
He's younger and would be cheaper than paying overs for either of the Safiti brothers, who play a good 5 to 10 minutes per game and then go missing or lose possession easily as I've seen them do so often. We've signed plenty of those types over the years, so I hope it's neither of them.