Good old $BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been playing union for over 2 years now. It's not as though he only just picked up a ball a month ago and started playing. You are using so many ifs in your argument, how can you justifiably say that SBW will automatically boot Nonu out of the starting 15 after seeing only 4 games played by the man?

Nonu is a proven international class centre and has been for almost 3 years now. SBW isn't even proven at ITM cup, let alone Super 14/15 level.

And I'm not particularly a Nonu fan anyway, I just know that he is a much better player then Sonny Bill currently is.
WTF ? Nonu has only had consistent results over the past year, before that he had many critics and one would wonder if he would be in the team if other remained fit (kahui).

There is a massive difference to playing union in France than coming over playing ITM cup in different conditions and playing styles.

Do you really think SBW would have turned down nearly a million a year knowing he was only a chance of making the WC squad ? He was popular with the three coaches when he was playing overseas, Wayne Smith even said he would make a fine union player when he was playing with the dogs.

Like it or not, he is going to be the new starting centre for the AB's and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. Its set in stone.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
WTF ? Nonu has only had consistent results over the past year, before that he had many critics and one would wonder if he would be in the team if other remained fit (kahui). Don't make up things and then back it up with poor examples.

There is a massive difference to playing union in France than coming over playing ITM cup in different conditions and playing styles.

Do you really think SBW would have turned down nearly a million a year knowing he was only a chance of making the WC squad ? He was popular with the three coaches when he was playing overseas, Wayne Smith even said he would make a fine union player when he was playing with the dogs.

Like it or not, he is going to be the new starting centre for the AB's and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. Its set in stone.
Kahui has not played second five at international level and has little to none at ITM or Super 14 level either. 12 and 13 are not necessarily interchangable positions.

I think at the end of 2008, his first full year as starting 12, he would have had few critics to be honest. You also have to consider he would have had heaps of applause.

And FB, are you fcking serious about him turning down the money? He is still getting 550k to 'chase his dream of an All Bvlack jersey', so don't give me that chasing his dream over money bollocks. He still has a higher salary than most. if not all. players currently contracted to the NZRU. What Wayne Smith said when he was at the Dogs has absolutely no bearing on this argument whatsoever.

And regardless of playing styles, learning to defend in a backline is reasonably similar across continetns, the only difference being the traffic areas and workrates as a result. SBW still looks positionally lost.

And don't get me wrong, I rate Sonny, but I just think you are talking sht.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kahui has not played second five at international level and has little to none at ITM or Super 14 level either. 12 and 13 are not necessarily interchangable positions.

I think at the end of 2008, his first full year as starting 12, he would have had few critics to be honest. You also have to consider he would have had heaps of applause.

And FB, are you fcking serious about him turning down the money? He is still getting 550k to 'chase his dream of an All Bvlack jersey', so don't give me that chasing his dream over money bollocks. He still has a higher salary than most. if not all. players currently contracted to the NZRU. What Wayne Smith said when he was at the Dogs has absolutely no bearing on this argument whatsoever.

And regardless of playing styles, learning to defend in a backline is reasonably similar across continetns, the only difference being the traffic areas and workrates as a result. SBW still looks positionally lost.

And don't get me wrong, I rate Sonny, but I just think you are talking sht.
Wayne smith making comments on a player who was playing another code says wonders for his chances of gaining a black jersey.

He was offered a lot more to go to Europe but turned that down in order to play in the world cup which is exactly what he will be doing.

Get over the hate, SBW is here to stay and he will be the biggest headline of 2011.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wayne smith making comments on a player who was playing another code says wonders for his chances of gaining a black jersey.

He was offered a lot more to go to Europe but turned that down in order to play in the world cup which is exactly what he will be doing.

Get over the hate, SBW is here to stay and he will be the biggest headline of 2011.
It doesn't mean he is destined to displace Nonu or is better than Nonu though. In fact it doesn't in any way, shape or form do anything other than highlight Smith's like for him and his abilities.

You should probably read what I've been saying all along. Ive said he will most likely get a call up to the All Blacks, what I have a problem with is you saying he will definitely displace Nonu from the lineup because he will soon be way better than him or whatever the fck you were saying. That's bullsht.

The thing is, he hardly turned down riches for rags. He turned down 1mill for 550k. It's not as though he threw it all away to chase his dream, he's still fcking raking it in. Don't play the chasing black jersey over money sht with me.

And finally, I have no hate for SBW as a union player, I rate him, I just think that you are talking a load of unjustified and inaccurate sht.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't mean he is destined to displace Nonu or is better than Nonu though. In fact it doesn't in any way, shape or form do anything other than highlight Smith's like for him and his abilities.

You should probably read what I've been saying all along. Ive said he will most likely get a call up to the All Blacks, what I have a problem with is you saying he will definitely displace Nonu from the lineup because he will soon be way better than him or whatever the fck you were saying. That's bullsht.

The thing is, he hardly turned down riches for rags. He turned down 1mill for 550k. It's not as though he threw it all away to chase his dream, he's still fcking raking it in. Don't play the chasing black jersey over money sht with me.

And finally, I have no hate for SBW as a union player, I rate him, I just think that you are talking a load of unjustified and inaccurate sht.
Just accept it dude, Nonu is fking history. SBW can play sh*t from now till the end of the season and he will still waltz into Nonu's jumper.

It's a bit sad for Nonu but Conrad Smith isn't going to get dropped and the great one has to be in the side somewhere given his potential. The allblack selectors have shown in the past that they are willing to pick players on potential alone.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just accept it dude, Nonu is fking history. SBW can play sh*t from now till the end of the season and he will still waltz into Nonu's jumper.

It's a bit sad for Nonu but Conrad Smith isn't going to get dropped and the great one has to be in the side somewhere given his potential. The allblack selectors have shown in the past that they are willing to pick players on potential alone.
Do you wanna place a friendly bet on it then? You give me a timeline that you think Sonny Bill will assert himself as the starting second five for the All Blacks, starting second five, not just in the squad and playing some games. (has to be within reason because otherwise it's not fair)

If I win you have to have something in your sig which I choose and if you win then same deal.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am definately down for that.

He will be playing adhoc centre at the end of season tour, I am not sure if there is a tri nations next year due to the world cup but I am guessing any lead up games going into the world cup he will be AUTOMATIC selection for the centre berth.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oi Gladiator watch the game on the weekend ?

See the way the great one played ? Set up two tries and scored a try of the calibre ITM cup rarely sees in single handedly beating 4 players and even outpacing them on his way to the try line. Even the opposition players interviewed at the end commented on how they were dumbfounded as to how to stop him.

Its called instinct, sure he has defensive lapses but he is a natural on the footy field. I'll bet you money that he will be picked for end of year tour.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never said he was sht. Just that he wasn't and isn't better than Nonu.
I also said before that he'd make the EOYT, just won't be displacing Nonu anytime soon.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This time next year Nonu will be a bench warmer. SBW has his jersey as he will have developed by then to be far superior player. Playing alongside the AB's in the end of year tour he is going to stand out like a beacon.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This time next year Nonu will be a bench warmer. SBW has his jersey as he will have developed by then to be far superior player. Playing alongside the AB's in the end of year tour he is going to stand out like a beacon.
Okay, we should put a bet on it. You say next year SBW will have displaced Nonu from the starting 12 position, and I say he won't? Same as above, whoever loses has to put whatever the winner wants them to put in their signature for a certain amonut of time (6 months, maybe a year not sure). Deal?

This'll be fun :D

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What level is the ITM Cup?

Would it be like Sydney Club Rugby?

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What level is the ITM Cup?

Would it be like Sydney Club Rugby?
ITM Cup >>> Sydney Club Rugby.

I've never seen Sydney Club rugby, but NZ also has club rugby below ITM Cup level. It's definitely higher up and a little below Super 14/15 level.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sydney Club Rugby is pretty high standard

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know a little bit about it, I know the Sydney University side is full of S15 players. But it seems Randwick and SU dominate the competition year to year.

However, ITM Cup is definitely at a higher level than Sydney Club Rugby, the fact that NZ had ITM Cup and SA had the Currie Cup was a large reason why Australia tried to establish their own provincial competition, which flopped.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I liked the ARC concept tbh.. don't remember why it was dumped after 1 year. Must have been because everybody hate Rugby is Aus.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I liked the ARC concept tbh.. don't remember why it was dumped after 1 year. Must have been because everybody hate Rugby is Aus.
Money and because apparently teams like Sydney Fleet were under supported because of the club rugby history.

Status
Not open for further replies.