Golden point is tarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
By Johnathan Thurston | June 04, 2008 12:00am

I KNOW I have said it before but I'll say it again, golden point needs an overhaul.

It might sound like sour grapes after we went down to Penrith in extra time on Saturday but if you remember, I was saying the same thing last time we played golden point.

And we won on that occasion. The reason I think there needs to be a change is just in the area of fairness.

To me it just doesn't seem right that you can battle your guts out for the full 80 minutes, not lose, and still come away with nothing.

There should be something there to reward you for that effort at least.

For example, by fulltime the Bulldogs had been pounded by Melbourne 46-0 on the weekend, but at the same stage we were level, 18-all, with the Panthers.

Yet Canterbury and the Cowboys both get the same reward for drastically different results – zero competition points.

That just doesn't seem right. So, just like I did last year, I'll put out a proposal which has been said a few times before and seems to make sense but continues to be overlooked.

In the National Hockey League in the United States and Canada, if there is a tie at the final hooter the game goes into overtime.

But before it does both teams are handed one competition point for the tie and then the teams play for the remainder of the points in the added period.

That makes perfect sense to me, and I can see no real reason why it wouldn't work in the the NRL right now.

Penrith and Cowboys both get one competition point for their efforts over 80 minutes and then after Jarrod Sammut banks a field goal, the Panthers receive another point.

I have been on both sides of golden point, the sheer elation and the devastation, and from both views I can see it is an exciting concept, but I think it just needs that slight tweak.

After walking off on Saturday losing 19-18, the one competition point would have meant little to us at the time, but once the emotion subsided it would have brought some solace.

It could have proved pretty handy towards the end of the season for us, too.

Like I said, this isn't sour grapes, I just think it is an idea that makes sense and I'm pretty confident most, if not all, clubs would feel the same way.

I KNOW the players weren't the only ones who walked away from Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday disappointed after our dramatic loss to Penrith.

But despite what some people out there might say we are far from writing the season off at this stage – there is still a long way to go.

For us, we've got to turn to the cliche of `one game at a time' as we start our revival. And there were signs there against the Panthers that we are on our way back.

Our wrestle on the ground was good, our contact in defence was great and considering we played a lot of the second half with 12 players, I reckon we showed plenty of character.

It would have been easy to drop our bundle, but we fought hard and, in the end, were pretty unlucky not to come away with something.

The key now is for us to back that performance up against the Tigers. While I won't be there because of Origin duty there will be a couple of blokes I believe will be especially fired up for the clash – Carl Webb and Jacob Lillyman.

It's disappointing for those guys to have been overlooked for Origin II, but it will no doubt be a boost for the Cowboys when we take on the Tigers.

Look for 'Charlie' and 'Bull' to make a statement at Campbelltown Stadium.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I KNOW I have said it before but I'll say it again, golden point needs an overhaul.

It might sound like sour grapes after we went down to Penrith in extra time on Saturday ....
I stopped reading there. Yes you have sour grapes and yes you are only writing this because you've been **** all year.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the side that leads for 79 minutes and gets a 60 metre try put on them with a kick from the touchline to beat them after the hooter? Is that fair?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Doesnt matter how much you win by, a win is a win. 2 competition points no matter. You losing by 1 point to a team losing to 46 is no difference, its a loss same penalty.

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
What about the side that leads for 79 minutes and gets a 60 metre try put on them with a kick from the touchline to beat them after the hooter? Is that fair?
IMo the game goes for 80 minutes for a reason , Soccer is a prime example of how its not bout who leads for the longest but who leads when it counts, Japan vs Australia worldcup...

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree completely.

1pnt each for the tie, then play it out for the other point.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

it is no good when your team loses but fantastic when they win.

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
Stupid idea that each team gets 1 pt and play for an extra point

Cos then THREE points are awarded out of this game as opposed to TWO

Teams can conspire to have a draw on purpose since they will share 3 pts instead of 2

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid idea that each team gets 1 pt and play for an extra point

Cos then THREE points are awarded out of this game as opposed to TWO

Teams can conspire to have a draw on purpose since they will share 3 pts instead of 2
LOL! I think they mean make every game worth 3 points.
You win outright at 80min = 3points
You draw @ 80min = 1point each then golden point for the 3rd point.

This would be a much fairer outcome!

Malla

Reaction score
tbh i think it should be golden try. pretty sour when a full 80 minutes comes down to a penalty in front of the sticks.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Exactly. If they get rid of Golden Point, fans will be screaming they want a result. Tbh it doesnt really bother me, you win some, you lose others. If things are that tight after extra time its a draw anyway.

The Custard

I'm Batman.
Reaction score
He's a ****in clown. Look at the broncos win. They scored in the 80th minute. Should Parra get 1 point "for their effort"?

Golden Point is fine.

Games can be won or lost in the 1st minute or golden point. Makes no difference. Thurston should wake up to himself.

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
LOL! I think they mean make every game worth 3 points.
You win outright at 80min = 3points
You draw @ 80min = 1point each then golden point for the 3rd point.

This would be a much fairer outcome!
Soccer is unfair like that, if you have a draw you only share 2 pts instead of 3 for a win.

So you can say soccer teams conspire NOT to have a draw, if thats possible lol

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote a letter into RLW last year saying exactly what Thurston said after living in Canada for 12 months....

I won letter of the week and won a free Dogs scarf and a stubby holder !!

I think its a great idea.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
get ride of the golden point and have a draw
I agree. I believe that it should never have been implemented during the Regular Season.

Although I believe it should be kept for Semi and Grand Finals.

Other than that - I believe that a Draw is better than a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.