Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
ICC mulls four-day Tests to revive format, counter Twenty20 threat
From correspondents in New Delhi, India
July 02, 2009
The International Cricket Council is considering the option of shortening Test matches from five days to four in a bid to revamp the game's traditional format.

“I would be very surprised if within a year you haven't seen some significant changes in Test match cricket.”
– David Morgan
The ICC president wants to see Test cricket become more exciting The five-day game faces stiff competition from Twenty20 cricket, the growing popularity of which is reflected in the success of the Indian Premier League and the recent World Twenty20 in England.

ICC president David Morgan said that Test cricket had to be made "more exciting".

"The board of the ICC is determined to ensure that Test match cricket is seen as the pinnacle of our great game," Morgan was quoted as saying by India Today magazine.

"Another thought... that we are examining is whether Test match cricket can be played over four days rather than five. I would be very surprised if within a year you haven't seen some significant changes in Test match cricket."

Morgan also said the ICC was considering having day-night Tests with coloured balls.

"We need better over-rates, better pitches that give a good balance between bat and ball, and we need to consider day-night Test cricket," he said.

"There is great support for it.

"The issue is the colour of the ball and the quality of the ball.

"It would be a pity if Test match cricket - day-night - had to be played with a white ball and therefore coloured clothing.

"We are looking very closely at ball-manufacturing design that replicates a red ball, maybe an orange ball, a ball that could still allow us to play in white clothing and still at night."

A two-tier Test structure was recently mooted by Dave Richardson, the ICC general manager, to divide the stronger and weaker teams and make the format more competitive.

Agence France-Presse

what a ridiculously stupid decision a) more likely of a draw b) doesn't make it any less exciting c) pitch won't come into it as much etc

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
tbh the top teams should have 6 day tests lol. half the time they end up being draws grrr

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wtf lol. No way, if 25% of tests end up as draws, what do they expect the result to be when there are 4 day tests. Pretty stupid imo.

D

dogs_4 lyf

Wont happen, sh1t idea and all those people to watch twenty20 and call themselves fans can smd.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1/3 of the time these days tests only go 4 days :sleepy: but it's a stupid idea!!! it will just result in more draws. :sleepy:

D

dogs_4 lyf

Its because of that sh1t twenty20 all of a sudden the spotlight is on test matches. I love my test matches and spend hours watching it for 5 days. Thats the way i want it to stay.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
and the day night test matches >.< urrgh horrible

D

dogs_4 lyf

During the ashes i wont sleep. Just the mind battles that happen are awesome entertainment.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
pfftt

leave the five day tests alone - the ashes starts soon, bring it

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All you have to do is look towards out State matches, 4 days and its fail

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is an absolute disgrace that they would even contemplate it.

It's bad enough they whored the sport out for 20/20 and turned that into a circus now they want 4 day tests?

Just how short are people's attention spans FFS?

What a joke. Tests are cricket. 20/20 isn't cricket, it's a film clip.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honestly taking one day off doesnt make it any shorter, the morons.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honestly taking one day off doesnt make it any shorter, the morons.
And all you would have is draws. Think about how easy it would be for a team to play for draws after they get into trouble in the 1st Innings?

What are they going to do, have 1st Innings points like in Shield cricket?

F**kin spastics.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
And all you would have is draws. Think about how easy it would be for a team to play for draws after they get into trouble in the 1st Innings?

What are they going to do, have 1st Innings points like in Shield cricket?

F**kin spastics.
fire up :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.