Electric vs petrol cars

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, needs to be replaced every 2 years. Cabin air filter same, ditto HEPA filter, A/C desiccant bag, etc just because they have an electric motor doesn't mean no maintenance.

Doesn't matter, brakes need servicing even if brake pads don't need replacing. FWIW the BYD is probably the worst EV for one pedal driving.

EV's are only quieter than ICEV's when accelerating and even then up to around 60 kph, much over that the tyre, road and wind noise drowns out the ICE anyway. Try it with a noise meter, I won $100 off a Tesla owner when his Model Y was 3db louder at 90 kph than one of my twin turbos.

Always a Bulldog
Change over to a silicone-based brake fluid, 10+ year fluid change intervals.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ouch, silicone brake fluids no thanks, tried that. Soft spongy brake pedal due to silicone having a poor bulk modulus, which means it compresses up to 3 times more than glycol-ether fluid when pressurised.

Always a Bulldog

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've a Honda HUR216 and EGO.
I've not used the Honda since buying the EGO.
Torque is KING when it comes to spinning shit, you know, like the blades under your mower?
You mean getting things spinning? Torque is pretty much irrelevant once it’s moving.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you would drive a car that hasn’t had its brakes serviced in 10 years, you should have your license revoked for the safety of all other road users.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch, silicone brake fluids no thanks, tried that. Soft spongy brake pedal due to silicone having a poor bulk modulus, which means it compresses up to 3 times more than glycol-ether fluid when pressurised.

Always a Bulldog
Which brand did you try?
I didn't have that issue, and it saw high heat cycles with my use.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you would drive a car that hasn’t had its brakes serviced in 10 years, you should have your license revoked for the safety of all other road users.
There's a difference between negligence, as insinuated; and regular checking of rotors, pads, and fluid levels.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Do ambulance use EV?
Imagine being in a life threatening situation and the battery dies?

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do ambulance use EV?
Being an Emergency Service Vehicle, they would have a small Engine in the vehicle as a backup

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Which brand did you try?
I didn't have that issue, and it saw high heat cycles with my use.
Motul, Penrite, Bellray, Willwood, OTK, Castrol, Bendix, Putoline, pretty much every brand that we could find over the 6 months of testing. There is no escaping the science, silicone just has a poorer bulk modulus than glycol-ether. It also provides less lubrication so we noticed excessive caliper piston and bore wear even after less than 12 hours of hard use.

Always a Bulldog

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Face facts.
An EV fire truck, in a zone with fire, is a disaster waiting to happen!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You mean getting things spinning? Torque is pretty much irrelevant once it’s moving.
With vehicles, torque helps at any speed. Best off the mark, but more torque means more speed when accelerating even at high speeds for quick overtaking.

Hybrids are different though as hybrids tend to only give torque off the mark. But EVs pull torque at high speeds. But I don't think their high speed torque is as good as an ICE.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motul, Penrite, Bellray, Willwood, OTK, Castrol, Bendix, Putoline, pretty much every brand that we could find over the 6 months of testing. There is no escaping the science, silicone just has a poorer bulk modulus than glycol-ether. It also provides less lubrication so we noticed excessive caliper piston and bore wear even after less than 12 hours of hard use.

Always a Bulldog
I owe you and others an apology.
My recollection was dot 5 silicone, when it is dot 6 equivalent ether/ester-based brake fluid, with a 10-year service life.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do ambulance use EV?
With the waiting times in hospitals, the ambulance would have plenty of time to charge at the hospital!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
With the waiting times in hospitals, the ambulance would have plenty of time to charge at the hospital!
But batteries when charged wrong will give incorrect percentages.

After 5 years you cannot trust battery power!
I can't anyway.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But batteries when charged wrong will give incorrect percentages.

After 5 years you cannot trust battery power!
I can't anyway.
I agree, and would expect the service life of the vehicles would allow for such.
Yet, knowing the incompetence of the public service sector…