Electric vs petrol cars

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
How can we have EV's when the grid struggles to keep power running through Newtown on a Tuesday night?

I was at Bandwagontown last night and the lights went out like Pyongyang!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean the know it all experts who never leave the comfort of their bubble?
guys like @Doogie etc they come and go... they get debunked and then disappear like a virgin on prom night...ghosts!! but the truth remains stable, reliable, solid like good infrastructure... there is a petrol station on every corner for petrol cars with good range, there are charging stations few and far between for EV cars that have poor range :grinning: The osborne effect delivers the a 1-2 punch!

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In my experience most of them have solar systems and home batteries, Tesla batteries of course, they are almost guaranteed Tesla fan bois. They have no problem charging their Model 3/Y, just plug it in when they get home. That’s what my neighbour with the Model Y did in the 5 hour black out we had a month ago. My other neighbour with the Leaf actually powered up his house, no blackout for him, he would have been OK for around 3 days if it went longer.

Always a Bulldog

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
as the trains were stuffed today, i got a Didi to work, it was a Telsa Model Y, standard range, the guy had done 40,000 KM in 7 months.

still looked mint and was smooth as, but he said his servicing cost was 0
I wouldn’t be driving a car that has had no maintenance in 40000kms.
cooling, braking, bearings, electrical connections, joints and couplings all need maintenance.
Or maybe I should stop servicing my CNC machines, because they’re electric?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wonder if hydrogen will become a serious player down track. Need massive infrastructure build, yet seems a better way overall
Making hydrogen, the way most hydrogen is made now, is one of the dirtiest processes on the planet.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
cooling, braking, bearings, electrical connections, joints and couplings all need maintenance.
The EV motor is all contained in one unit, so no maintenance is needed, of course you need to check brakes steering etc, but if you use Re-Gen braking then you will hardly use your brakes so less wear on the pads.

the BYD i test drove didn't come to a complete stop, but it was close, i hardly touched the brake.

the only issue i had was sticking to the speed limit, they are so damn quiet you speed without even noticing

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how Many times would he have charged that battery for 40,000km… battery would be on the way out.. degradation

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The EV motor is all contained in one unit, so no maintenance is needed, of course you need to check brakes steering etc, but if you use Re-Gen braking then you will hardly use your brakes so less wear on the pads.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, needs to be replaced every 2 years. Cabin air filter same, ditto HEPA filter, A/C desiccant bag, etc just because they have an electric motor doesn't mean no maintenance.

the BYD i test drove didn't come to a complete stop, but it was close, i hardly touched the brake.
Doesn't matter, brakes need servicing even if brake pads don't need replacing. FWIW the BYD is probably the worst EV for one pedal driving.

the only issue i had was sticking to the speed limit, they are so damn quiet you speed without even noticing
EV's are only quieter than ICEV's when accelerating and even then up to around 60 kph, much over that the tyre, road and wind noise drowns out the ICE anyway. Try it with a noise meter, I won $100 off a Tesla owner when his Model Y was 3db louder at 90 kph than one of my twin turbos.

Always a Bulldog

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning I went out and bought the biggest petrol mower I could find. Big noisy guzzler to tear through any lawn. My neighbour has an electric mower haha..

my mower is like a punch in the nose to the neighbour.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
This morning I went out and bought the biggest petrol mower I could find. Big noisy guzzler to tear through any lawn. My neighbour has an electric mower haha..

my mower is like a punch in the nose to the neighbour.
Your neighbour uses an electric mower.
Must be a girl?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your neighbour uses an electric mower.
Must be a girl?
I just chuckle and scoff and shake my head as he struggles, sweating like a pig with this limp wristed electric mower whilst my petrol monster tears up whatever is in its path.. sometimes proven technology just works. Why fiddle with it

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could we imagine Summernats 52 with all EV cars? Instead of boobs, beers and burnouts it would be standing around charging stations holding your d%#k eating fairy bread

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Apparently Hyundai were approached about that, and they said that it was a dodgy dealer trying to make money.
a second person came forward with an invoice for the same work from another dealer, and it was around $60k as well.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just chuckle and scoff and shake my head as he struggles, sweating like a pig with this limp wristed electric mower whilst my petrol monster tears up whatever is in its path.. sometimes proven technology just works. Why fiddle with it
I've a Honda HUR216 and EGO.
I've not used the Honda since buying the EGO.
Torque is KING when it comes to spinning shit, you know, like the blades under your mower?