Electric vs petrol cars

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
and the real life data starts coming in… for hertz is just not a good financial decision to have an EV.. people should take note
It was cheap for the driver, but not for the company that bought it, so they sold them as they were not abel to make the money they normally do

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When I was young, I drove a 244 GL Volvo. That thing was built tougher than a T72 tank. No one dared cut me off 'cause they knew their vehicle wouldn't survive.
My Mate, put a 308 in a 244.

It was a fekking tank, the Engine bay was blacked out, exhaust was not super loud with huge pipes.

he had it for years, it didn't miss a beat, he sold it to fund a new project

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Those old Volvos had alot of torque , they beat dick Johnson’s falcon in a race in the 90s. Also very safe cars
My Volvo was poo brown coloured. I managed to get it doing fishies on a hill without noticing the police. I stopped and looked at the police and they were pissing themselves laughing, then they just drove off.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Always turns into a car enthusiast thread, recently re activated a VS SS but my V6 ute is quicker, SS needs a cam.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
these days a light hailstorm will decimate a new car. Panels not much thicker than tin foil. Older cars can take a bit of a beating. Need proper big hail to hurt them.

with EV being so heavy they gotta try save weight somewhere, so pressure to fit even thinner metals that maybe even a hose would dent
Part of the reason is the need for crumple zones, where the car body collapses to absorb the impact.
Modern vehicles are written off for accidents that would have been panel beaten in the old days, because the replaceable parts are so expensive, and the body strength is considered too compromised to repair.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my mates and I had the following checklist for the worst possible drivers that needed to be avoided. I apologise to anyone who is offended by this, remember we were just kids.

1. A woman
2. Asian
3. Wearing a hat
4. Driving a Volvo
As a Volvo driver, and one with an impeccable driving record, I noticed the aggressive nature of drivers whenever they saw the car.

It's a bit like the argument about sheep - sheep are not stupid, they just make you look stupid.

Volvos tended to bring out agitation from drivers around them, confirming the drivers' bias. They couldn't see that they were the problem.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As a Volvo driver, and one with an impeccable driving record, I noticed the aggressive nature of drivers whenever they saw the car.

It's a bit like the argument about sheep - sheep are not stupid, they just make you look stupid.

Volvos tended to bring out agitation from drivers around them, confirming the drivers' bias. They couldn't see that they were the problem.
I wasn’t aggressive CH i just kept away!! Lol

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always turns into a car enthusiast thread, recently re activated a VS SS but my V6 ute is quicker, SS needs a cam.
people see through an EV.. (most people do). Threads turn into car enthusiast talk because people are passionate about cars and enjoy them… you can’t enjoy a EV with no noise, no gearbox, no driver engagement, plus all the inconvenience and added cost they offer..

the EV manufacturers think they have people hoodwinked, pushing governments to legislate out petrol cars, but they only have the woke early adopters.

even the Europe emissions laws were relaxed as EVs are a joke

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My Volvo was poo brown coloured. I managed to get it doing fishies on a hill without noticing the police. I stopped and looked at the police and they were pissing themselves laughing, then they just drove off.
Off Topic, but i did a huge burnout in my old Cortina, cabin was full of smoke, and a Cop drove past me, then after about 100 metres, he saw the smoke from the burnout and turned around, i was lonmg gone by then, but i was packing it.

Aah the silly things we do when we are young (& Stupid)

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off Topic, but i did a huge burnout in my old Cortina, cabin was full of smoke, and a Cop drove past me, then after about 100 metres, he saw the smoke from the burnout and turned around, i was lonmg gone by then, but i was packing it.

will cops ever get EV in their fleet? They would konk out every half hour how hard the cops thrash em. Imagine cops sitting there for 3 hours waiting to charge lol

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
will cops ever get EV in their fleet? They would konk out every half hour how hard the cops thrash em. Imagine cops sitting there for 3 hours waiting to charge lol
The cops are sheltered lives communists.
Can't believe I was stupid enough wanting to join them when I was younger?

Glad my ex cop uncle, who is also a staunch commie, talked me out of it!

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a cortina as well it was low as, put springs in front and got pulled over by hwp asked me where i got my springs had a look and left!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe they could borrow an idea from the now defunct Milwaukee Railroad, which had an electric loco as yard shunter at their Avery yard.
It had a long extension cord which was held off the tracks by a metal arm bracket.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The issue is the Coal Powered stations, the Energy Australia site was running @ 50% capacity due to upgrades to their site, for people like me that have solar, we are fine