Dogs sponsor sticks solid as outrage intensifies

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
CANTERBURY'S major sponsor Gary Johnston has defended players accused of making sexist remarks towards a female television reporter during the side's Mad Monday celebrations but club bosses say those responsible will be forced to apologise.

The incident, aired on the Channel Nine news on Monday night, is being investigated by the Bulldogs and ARL Commission, with chairman John Grant yesterday describing the allegations as ''serious''.

Another leading official told the Herald last night: ''They are a disgrace and have set back our efforts on the code's attitudes towards women by 10 years''.

The fallout continues ... Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg last night. Photo: Mick Tsikas

But Johnston, whose company Jaycar Electronics is the Bulldogs jersey sponsor, said the celebrations were a private function and the media had been locked out.
Advertisement

It was unclear who had made the comments as they were heard through a slightly opened window and Johnston said the Channel Nine reporter, Jayne Azzopardi, would have been 40 metres away.

''I do know that microphone was some considerable distance from the window and they would have had to use electronic augmentation to even pick up that,"Johnston told the Herald.

''If you listen you can tell it is from a long way away.''

The comments broadcast on Channel Nine included:

❏ ''There are some ladies here to stick their heads in your pants.''

❏ ''S--- me off you dumb dog.''

❏ ''I want to go and punch you in the face.''

Told that the players were obviously directing the comments at the female reporter, Johnston said: ''They might have noticed them out the window in the car park 40 metres away. The gates were locked and there was a guard on the gate. It was a private function, the media were not invited. The media invited themselves.

''I am 110 per cent behind the Canterbury club. There was an expectation of privacy and these kids had dropped their guard and they were goofing off. They are in their 20s and they may say things that in public they would not say … even in semi-public, sensible professionals like Alan Jones still make dreadful mistakes and these are only kids.''

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said he had apologised to Azzopardi and was disappointed by the comments. He added the club had not been able to identify the person responsible.

''The audio is a little bit scratchy and we haven't been able to put names to the audio at the moment,'' he said. ''There was some players here, some staff, some friends of players, who got together to celebrate Mad Monday.

''There was a range of different people and to be fair to the players that camera and the crew and the audio was taken a fair distance from where they were standing inside the room. We are not looking to duck for cover, but to be fair to us, the club and the players, we actually chose Belmore yesterday because it was a private space.

''It was certainly out of the public's eye, it was away from a licensed premises where they would have been confronted by the public and it was an opportunity for the players to do their own thing for that one day of the year.''

Greenberg said he would submit a report to the ARLC and if any player was found to have made the comments he would be forced to apologise. Grant also indicated that those responsible were likely to face sanction.

''Based on what I've heard, there is no doubt this is potentially a serious issue,'' he told Triple M. ''The process that we'll now go through is for the club to determine what actually happened, for the club to prepare their own report with their own recommendation.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...intensifies-20121002-26xhz.html#ixzz289tZCNkl

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another leading official told the Herald last night: ''They are a disgrace and have set back our efforts on the code's attitudes towards women by 10 years''.
What a w*nker

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Good to see Johnston standing by our club.

If it's a private function, then f*ck off - simple.

How would they like it having to cope with some ******** following you around trying to pick up sh*t for a story that'll air on their so called "news"?

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On another note, Gary Johnston is an absolute legend. Defending the club like one it's own.

Also lol at this
It was unclear who had made the comments as they were heard through a slightly opened window and Johnston said the Channel Nine reporter, Jayne Azzopardi, would have been 40 metres away.
So they don't know who said it, and the reporter was half a football field away. nice lol

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok bear with me for a second while I digress....
Here goes:
Who remembers Apple's AntenaGate scandal that rocked the planet just days following the release of "iPhone 4G:This changes everything" ?? Kinda?? Well how many Apple Fanboys did the issue stop from purchasing the 4G (that was known to be named to confuse the user into thinking it was 4G speeds, when in fact it was simply the 4th Generation of iPhone). Apple's terrible technology was failing -- did yours? Mine certainly appeared to LOL!! We all bought into the 'problem'. Apple's response was swift. Owner's could return for full refund. Did you? I didn't. I chose the free 'bumper'; which remains unopened in it's package. All the while Apple remains on the front pages. 'Fixing' a non-existant 'flaw' and capitalizing on the brand exposure. Well played Steve, very well played indeed.

I have not noticed any news on the celebrations of Melbourne throughout my usual daily media trawling. Why? Because the sky is falling at Belmore and in steps Todd et. al. to repair the damage. Our fans remain solid behind our CLUB. In doing so we force others to see the front pages of 'fixing' the brand. Free press. No wonder our sponsors are holding tight.
I strongly doubt James Graham will serve a sentence for the ear graze on Billy Slater.

We are becoming an empire. This scares the bejeebus out of those at the top of the ivory tower as there is naught they can do about it. Dare I say it, these types of situations bring out THE DOGS OF WAR. Our backs will be to the wall again next season. Highly doubt Channel 9 will be on the top of the list of contacts when we have an exclusive press statement...and the responsibility lies solely on their gutter journalism. Media are going to want to be aligned with us, not against us. We are moving in the direction of dictating our terms. I expect more scandals to feed the machine before it becomes obvious Belmore can't be hacked and is protected as family.

#proudtobeabulldog in TEXAS

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes that's all very well and good, we will all stick together, Dogs of War blah blah blah, but the fact is some dic*head from the team actually yelled this crap out. All they had to do was shut the fkn window and ignore the media. Some one needs a slap on the wrist and be sent to the naughty corner fot 10 minutes.

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes that's all very well and good, we will all stick together, Dogs of War blah blah blah, but the fact is some dic*head from the team actually yelled this crap out. All they had to do was shut the fkn window and ignore the media. Some one needs a slap on the wrist and be sent to the naughty corner fot 10 minutes.
Spot on, Instead having to deal with the loss and the biting the club now needs to deal with this, It's just not or was not needed.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Funny thing is, in 1 week this story will all be forgotten, by the start of next year no one will remember.

Look how long Manly were on the front pages after their season launch media frenzy, now hardly anyone talks about it.

Media frenzies are short lived phenomenon. What happened to the "Stop the Trolls" campaign the DT were running? Died a quick death that story, as will this

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Spot on, Instead having to deal with the loss and the biting the club now needs to deal with this, It's just not or was not needed.
So give us the inside scoop then? You 2 both obviously know something we don't. Why don't you both just shut your mouths and stop accusing people until proven guilty.

Love Dog; well said. Again!

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So give us the inside scoop then? You 2 both obviously know something we don't. Why don't you both just shut your mouths and stop accusing people until proven guilty.

Love Dog; well said. Again!
Wow a keyboard warrior at work.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Wow a keyboard warrior at work.
Hardly a keyboard warrior. Seriously? Just the ignorance shown by some people on here astounds me and I want to express my opinion on how a normal course of justice should be taken. Good come back though. Your argument has been well backed up just as I though it would be.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
This is a nothing story. The media outlet would have had a digital microphone pointed at the open window. If they were not intruding on peoples privacy they would not have heard a thing. Anyway, it's called "Mad Monday" for a reason you know. Time to drop this story. All it got on Ch9 last night was 10 seconds.

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hardly a keyboard warrior. Seriously? Just the ignorance shown by some people on here astounds me and I want to express my opinion on how a normal course of justice should be taken. Good come back though. Your argument has been well backed up just as I though it would be.
Telling people to shut their mouths because they have an opinion = Keyboard warrior.

So am I led to believe the window opened itself and the wind uttered those words in a Kiwi accent, Amazing!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great to hear this, and as I said to the missus they had to have used one of the digital mics considering the distance and how low the persons voice was. Mob of a*holes they are, try to ruin everything we have done all year not one good thing said about the Dogs since before the game.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Telling people to shut their mouths because they have an opinion = Keyboard warrior.

So am I led to believe the window opened itself and the wind uttered those words in a Kiwi accent, Amazing!
Have you never said anything in private that if recorded would offend people?

There was no need for the media to be there with recording devices and helicopters listening in and flying over a private event. I do not condone what was said but for gods sake why were the media there if not to try and get a scandalous story. Gutter journalism at its best

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score

You quite clearly agreed with the post above that it was "someone in the team". Its been stated already that there were other people with the team on Mad Monday.

And if telling people to shut their mouths is being a keyboard warrior, then you need to have a cup of some good old fashioned cement my friend. Oh wait. Did I offend you again?

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Have you never said anything in private that if recorded would offend people?

There was no need for the media to be there with recording devices and helicopters listening in and flying over a private event. I do not condone what was said but for gods sake why were the media there if not to try and get a scandalous story. Gutter journalism at its best
I am 100% in agreeance re the media and TG pretty much echoed those sentiments on the Rush Hour last night.

It does not changed the fact that someone has yelled it out the widow, Window stays closed there is no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.