Opinion Depth in attack

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but this is absolutely doing my head in. The only time we don't look like total shit is when we play flat and direct, yet time after time we play away from that and play with ridiculous depth and ask absolutely zero questions of the defence because of our total lack of precision.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
True. The team is flat and not lined deep for any sort of running attack. Most of the time players are handed the ball when they're standing still, then they have to get moving, giving the defence time to swarm around them and prevent passes. Easily handled by any first grade side.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
True. The team is flat and not lined deep for any sort of running attack. Most of the time players are handed the ball when they're standing still, then they have to get moving, giving the defence time to swarm around them and prevent passes. Easily handled by any first grade side.
I'm saying we're too deep. We don't have a hooker that can deliver crisp service, we don't have a halfback who knows what to do and everything else is a complete mess. Our two tries have come off the back of us playing flat and direct and players just pushing up and supporting each other.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's less about flat and direct and more when we just offload and push up in support and abandon the structure which clearly isn't working

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's less about flat and direct and more when we just offload and push up in support and abandon the structure which clearly isn't working
Literally all our points are from playing flat, direct and at pace. We can't play with depth and Baz needs to have us playing away from that as much as possible.

Reactions: GDR

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Literally all our points are from playing flat, direct and at pace. We can't play with depth and Baz needs to have us playing away from that as much as possible.
I agree man. I'm just saying offloads and not giving a fuck are a huge factor too

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't have the speed, skill or vision to play with the depth. Having Burton and The Fox will help but we need a high quality hooker and some forwards to make a real difference.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We don't have the speed, skill or vision to play with the depth. Having Burton and The Fox will help but we need a high quality hooker and some forwards to make a real difference.
That's my point, why can't Baz just coach to what he has? We kinda look like an NRL standard team when we play down the left with Jake getting early ball and linking with Elliott. We then attack down the right edge and look like fucking snails. Baz just needs to accept we aren't Penrith, just strip things back and build them back up when the players improve and higher quality players arrive.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's my point, why can't Baz just coach to what he has? We kinda look like an NRL standard team when we play down the left with Jake getting early ball and linking with Elliott. We then attack down the right edge and look like fucking snails. Baz just needs to accept we aren't Penrith, just strip things back and build them back up when the players improve and higher quality players arrive.
Can't argue with any of that. Anyways. More importantly, you never answered my question in the other thread. Flano or Lewis?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but this is absolutely doing my head in. The only time we don't look like total shit is when we play flat and direct,
Funny, that’s kind of how I describe our defence, flat (as fuck) and indirect ( see; soft and uncommitted)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Funny, that’s kind of how I describe our defence, flat (as fuck) and indirect ( see; soft and uncommitted)
I have to apologise to Pay, he may not of got a lot of things right but our defence was at least committed and could absorb pressure. Under Baz/Furner we are an absolute joke. Shades of Manly.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ask zero questions of the defence whether we play flat or deep.

When we play flat everyone is standing still and gets dominated by the defence.

When we do play with some depth our speed of play and crispness is in slow motion.

The top teams play with depth with players always in quick motion. They don’t play flat.

We play reserve grade speed and simply cannot compete. A flat attack though will win is nothing.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but this is absolutely doing my head in. The only time we don't look like total shit is when we play flat and direct, yet time after time we play away from that and play with ridiculous depth and ask absolutely zero questions of the defence because of our total lack of precision.
We look so predictable when we play deep

I don't know why Barrett doesn't say something about our last tackle options, every week it's been the same kicks which don't put any pressure on the fb and wingers, and we're not attempting to put them in their in goal.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We ask zero questions of the defence whether we play flat or deep.

When we play flat everyone is standing still and gets dominated by the defence.

When we do play with some depth our speed of play and crispness is in slow motion.

The top teams play with depth with players always in quick motion. They don’t play flat.

We play reserve grade speed and simply cannot compete. A flat attack though will win is nothing.
I'd argue more tries are scored off a quick play the ball with teams playing flat and direct. Top teams play both, we're obviously not a top team. Just play to our level and build of confidence/combinations from there.

Reactions: GDR