Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis would be a terrible centre. His 1-on-1 defence is good but his decision making in defence is shocking (look at his stats for try causes - he nearly leads the comp in that department). He is also too slow so he would get eaten alive by the quicker centres. His best position is the same as mine...on the couch
Yeah his defence is vastly over rated on here. Then you have to consider what he will bring in attack that whole edge would be a write off with a road block like Lewis at centre. He wouldn’t provide any type of running threat and everyone has seen how average his ball skills are. I have never understood the fascination with trying to find a spot for him in the side. He isn’t good enough to play in the halves and he certainly isn’t good enough to play anywhere else.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How can anyone be sold on Averillo? He has Potential for sure but to have him start in the spine is a big ask. It’s not like he’s a boom young gun like ponga was etc
2 games where he got owned afew times then got off the field and didnt return he looked soft af, Especially the game against melb where olam destroyed him. Theyre going to have to toughen him up bigtime if he is going to make it as a starting first grader.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Lewis is not the answer anywhere in the spine. If he is going to play another position then imho it would be in the centres where he has played occasionally in the lower grades. It would however be a stretch even though it would be mainly to bolster the defence because we know defence is his strength and the centres are THE KEY defensive positions in the backline on each side of the paddock.
no mate get that idea out of your head!
We can’t have those ideas floating around we need him in reserve grade

bulldogethan

Waterboy
Reaction score
2021 side at this point looking good and very young too

1. Allan
2. Watene Zelezniak
3. Cotric
4. Averillo
5. Addo Carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Marshall King
10. Hetherington
11. Faitala Mariner
12. Elliott
13. Jackson
14. Atoni
15. Ogden
16. Waddell
17. Katoa
Averillo not In the sqaud

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s not just what he has shown on the field he has been in the clubs system for years so they will have a very good idea what his attitude and work ethic is like. They did just re-sign him so that says a lot. Considering the alternatives at 5/8 it’s a no brainer to start him there in round 1.
I hear you. If there’s a vacant spot then you definitely start him.
My point is you can’t keep a spine starting spot free for him just yet, unless we have no choice. I’ve only seen glimpses from him thus far and some bad defensive reads. All be it at centre which I don’t believe he should play

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hear you. If there’s a vacant spot then you definitely start him.
My point is you can’t keep a spine starting spot free for him just yet, unless we have no choice. I’ve only seen glimpses from him thus far and some bad defensive reads. All be it at centre which I don’t believe he should play
Oh yeah you want him to be earning a spot but unless I’m missing someone we only have Lewis, Wakeham or Averillo to partner Flanagan. I’d much rather give Averillo first shot over the other two and see what he can do in one of his favoured positions. I agree with you on him playing in the centres I’d even rather he play in the spine in reggies then centre or wing in NRL.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah you want him to be earning a spot but unless I’m missing someone we only have Lewis, Wakeham or Averillo to partner Flanagan. I’d much rather give Averillo first shot over the other two and see what he can do in one of his favoured positions. I agree with you on him playing in the centres I’d even rather he play in the spine in reggies then centre or wing in NRL.
Yep this makes sense..if we have to endure the others (assuming no magical turn around in abilities) it will be a kick in the goolies

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring on the signings!!! Club needs an overhaul and that is exactly what TB is doing. We have not had a winning culture in some time so start fresh with a new bunch of players. Don’t have to train out previous poor playing style which our main group will fall back on when backs are to the wall.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to the old days where plodders werent guaranteed a spot now a healthy competition for spots ,players have to play well to be selected
How good is that. We have been only been able to replace mediocre with mediocre for some time now.
It’s frustrating looking at other sides that get a suspension or injury who bring in a reggies player that out performs our first grader.
There have been soo many threads on here about how quite a number of our players wouldn’t get a starting spot elsewhere. This might be our last season of that with so many off contract.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
A 22 year old who has played SOO, its always going to be something to build on.
Rated highly by some.
He has size, pace and can break the line. A massive upgrade on hoppa, holland, montoya, smith, etc. Something to work with at least.

Morris1

Waterboy
Reaction score
He has size, pace and can break the line. A massive upgrade on hoppa, holland, montoya, smith, etc. Something to work with at least.
He doesn't have pace.. watch the video of remis Smith and jmk running him down when he made a break last year against us. He really lacks in speed.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has to remember that Souths offloading Allen is a forced decision and not their first option. They tried to offload Johnson until South's supporter's vented their angst with this decision. Eventually the supporter's came out on top and Johnson survived. As a result they turned to Allen and reluctantly told him he is free to look elsewhere.

The fact that Allen was not their first choice to move on say's a lot of what Souths think about him so we should embrace this signing as he is only 22, played a year at FB in the NRL and is an Origin player under Bennett. He will be one of the signings of the year.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He doesn't have pace.. watch the video of remis Smith and jmk running him down when he made a break last year against us. He really lacks in speed.
Still has enough pace to make the break and run 70 metres
There are many factors in measuring "speed", particularly in a league player who also has to possess many other attributes, ability to tackle, pass the ball, catch the ball, take hits etc
There is acceleration, how quickly a player gets up to top speed.
There is top speed, the maximum speed a player achieves.
There is average speed over a distance.
There is endurance, how long and how often during a game a player can achieve top speed.

It's very rare to find an NRL player that has all 4 attributes. The above is an example of;
1. Acceleration (Allan) to make the break in the first place
2. Top speed (RSmith), we have all seen how fast he is once he gets wound up, but his acceleration isn't great.
3. Endurance (JMK) he has a fairly decent average speed but his best attribute is repeatability, he can achieve it many times in a game.

Go Dogs

Morris1

Waterboy
Reaction score
There are many factors in measuring "speed", particularly in a league player who also has to possess many other attributes, ability to tackle, pass the ball, catch the ball, take hits etc
There is acceleration, how quickly a player gets up to top speed.
There is top speed, the maximum speed a player achieves.
There is average speed over a distance.
There is endurance, how long and how often during a game a player can achieve top speed.

It's very rare to find an NRL player that has all 4 attributes. The above is an example of;
1. Acceleration (Allan) to make the break in the first place
2. Top speed (RSmith), we have all seen how fast he is once he gets wound up, but his acceleration isn't great.
3. Endurance (JMK) he has a fairly decent average speed but his best attribute is repeatability, he can achieve it many times in a game.

Go Dogs
From watching all his games last yr and the yr before there's nothing that tells me that he can be considering fast.. especially given the position he is playing he would be one of the slowest starting fullback/wingers in the comp.
Yes I understand hoppa is even slower, but hoppa has one of the best pass selection and is probably the safest fullback in the comp