Connor Tracy

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In terms of most experienced first grade fullback he has it over everyone at our club. I think Tracey would be the lowest risk as a fullback. Like others have said has great acceleration, is a very strong ball runner almost to his detriment injury wise. And has nice ball handing. He is incomparable to Averillo. Tracey is a meter eater running for 170+ meters a game at fullback.

Yes we have plenty of options or players interested in playing fullback but it will be risky. Kiraz is a solid winger, his kick returns are strong and he can fly up for catching bombs, critta is the best centre for NSW, Taaffe is the only other plug and play fullback, but lacks blinding acceleration, and isn’t a huge meter eater, we wouldn’t be starting out sets 20 out often if the opposition has a good kick chase. Kid is talented, never really got a permanent run in nrl, this season was probably his most successful. He had played halfback at a good level and had been a 14 long term to his detriment. But with hutch, salmon, turpin, Mann and to a lesser extent Curran it’s very hard to throw him the 14 jersey unless you are happy to have 2-3 similar players on the bench at the cost of having middles.
I agree with so many utilities I think its important to find set positions for some like Tracy at fullback or centre so that we don't have too many utilities on the bench or not playing at all. Someone like Mann or Salmon can be bench 2nd rower and then we can have a utility as well like Hutch. But I think at least one of our new recruits will miss out altogether like Turpin or Salmon or both. But thats not a bad problem.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a sneaky suspicion Gus would have been the one behind our utility recruitment. He has a way of picking out those potential players and getting the right man for the job. He has this ability to see the overall big picture as well as be in the present with a finger on the pulse. Now I'm starting to develop a Gus crush lol.
To me the Gould Ciraldo combo is doing really well. They say its not the problem you have its how you deal with it. I like the way they've gone about it and how quickly the light at the end of the tunnel is appearing. Im sure we'll get better footy this year and will only get better in future. Your posts (and others) have opened my eyes abit to just how theyve gone about it. For example I didnt know Tracy played in the halves (yeah Ive probably been living under a rock in recent times) but it opened my eyes to what depth and competition for spots means.

Last edited:

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To me the Gould Ciraldo combo is doing really well. They say its not the problem you have its how you deal with it. I like the way they've gone about it and how quickly the light at the end of the tunnel is appearing. Im sure we'll get better footy this year and will only get better in future. Your posts (and others) have opened my eyes abit to just how theyve gone about it. For example I didnt know Tracy played in the halves (yeah Ive probably been living under a rock in recent times) but it opened my eyes to what depth and competition for spots means.
Gus was given a task by the board to rebuild and develop the playing roster. Gus seem quite methodical in putting structures in place to develop players. We seen it with the Panthers and he also acted as consultant for the Warriors and NZ rugey league development.

But the board also wanted pretty quick results on the filed. So I can see how the new recruits can fit this by adding experience to mix with developing players. Ciraldo is the ideal coach as he comes from a winning system and is good at nursing players. Taylor has the experience and I am sure there are others like Potter and O'Meley.

Amazingly we have completely overhauled the top team within 3 years where there are no players left from 2021. But I think the most significant change in my opinion is the culture change where they have not just targeted experienced and skilled players but good blokes. They have focused on changing the attitudes about playing for the Dogs where its a priveledge and not a pay check. Setting high standards in professionalism and commitment.

Gus knows this, he was there when it was the Dogs of War as a player and coach. He took NSW to historic wins where they regained pride in the Blues. He understands the mentality more than anyone and thats why we are so lucky that he came back to the Dogs. He will go down in Bulldog history as the modern day Bullfrog. He actually looks at bit like Peter Moore actually as he gets older lol.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus was given a task by the board to rebuild and develop the playing roster. Gus seem quite methodical in putting structures in place to develop players. We seen it with the Panthers and he also acted as consultant for the Warriors and NZ rugey league development.

But the board also wanted pretty quick results on the filed. So I can see how the new recruits can fit this by adding experience to mix with developing players. Ciraldo is the ideal coach as he comes from a winning system and is good at nursing players. Taylor has the experience and I am sure there are others like Potter and O'Meley.

Amazingly we have completely overhauled the top team within 3 years where there are no players left from 2021. But I think the most significant change in my opinion is the culture change where they have not just targeted experienced and skilled players but good blokes. They have focused on changing the attitudes about playing for the Dogs where its a priveledge and not a pay check. Setting high standards in professionalism and commitment.

Gus knows this, he was there when it was the Dogs of War as a player and coach. He took NSW to historic wins where they regained pride in the Blues. He understands the mentality more than anyone and thats why we are so lucky that he came back to the Dogs. He will go down in Bulldog history as the modern day Bullfrog. He actually looks at bit like Peter Moore actually as he gets older lol.
I dont think Ive read a better summary. Hahah yeah Gus is looking alot like Bullfrog...My claim to fame is I once made him (Peter) garlic bread :grinning: They ate heaps of pasta that night.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont think Ive read a better summary. Hahah yeah Gus is looking alot like Bullfrog...My claim to fame is I once made him (Peter) garlic bread :grinning: They ate heaps of pasta that night.
I would think Bullfrog ate heaps of pasta and garlic bread lol. I don't think Gus is though by the looks of him losing all that weight.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post mate.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Spot on. The green shots are shooting through. Winning flegg and HMs last season show that. The recruitment has copped stick. But fans see why, bought experience and footballers, who can show these kids how to be first graders.

Ciraldo was always bought as a coach who can develop these kids. Someone who can nurture this next generation of players coming through. Clubs in safe hands.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Spot on. The green shots are shooting through. Winning flegg and HMs last season show that. The recruitment has copped stick. But fans see why, bought experience and footballers, who can show these kids how to be first graders.

Ciraldo was always bought as a coach who can develop these kids. Someone who can nurture this next generation of players coming through. Clubs in safe hands.
We bought a bunch of reserve graders.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very happy with that performance ... thought the defense was dominant the entire game ... Initial contact was great.

Burton and Mahoney were still clunky and indecisive at times .... Burton will never be a natural ball player, so he had better up his running game if he is to remain at 5/8. Mahoney still overplaying his hand a little .... The difference when Hayward, Sexton, Joash and Oneill were letting it sing was pretty stark .... Hutcho was good.

Salmon was close to my best .... used the ball well with plenty of stinging defense .... worked the joint down.

Hayward looks an absolute natural at hooker .... brings the big boys on to the ball beautifully .... keeps it simple .... good defender.... Very impressive.

Xerri and Skelton were great in yardage .... Xerri played about as good as anyone could expect in his first game back.

Jack Todd who is a favorite of mine didn't disappoint .... ditto for all the other young players.

Joash is going to be a very good NRL player.

Hughes was good and Knight was poor .... King worked the joint down along with Faamausili who ran and hit hard.

Kautoga the new hitman !!! ..... very pleased with his fitness.

Preston was Preston .... never plays a bad game.

Melbourne offered almost nothing in attack but scrambled well in defense.

Cronulla will be a MASSIVE step-up next week.

I have a feeling already that the team that starts the season for The Dogs will look a lot different than the team that finishes it.

Last edited: