Connor Tracy

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has anyone seen him play in the halves? Just wondering how he'd go if Sexton or Hutch don't work out. Seems like he's too skillful to be a winger. See some similarities with him and shifty who also spent time on the wing and FB.

Last edited:

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Has anyone seen him play in the halves? Just wondering how he'd go if Sexton or Hutch don't work out. Seems like he's to skillful to be a winger. See some similarities with him and shifty who also spent time on the wing and FB.
pretty sure he's played a few games at 5/8 when he was at the sharks, no idea how that went though

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember watching him at Souths when Wayne Bennett gave him his debut as a half back and played a few games. From then I actually posted in a "Rebuild Thread " that he was a player off contract that peaked my interest and hoped that we would buy him. Then he signed for the Sharks.
IMO, he certainly has the ability to kill it as a half. The one thing I clearly remember was his blinding pace cutting opposition defence's to shreds. Something we've lacked for a long time at halfback.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I remember watching him at Souths when Wayne Bennett gave him his debut as a half back and played a few games. From then I actually posted in a "Rebuild Thread " that he was a player off contract that peaked my interest and hoped that we would buy him. Then he signed for the Sharks.
IMO, he certainly has the ability to kill it as a half. The one thing I clearly remember was his blinding pace cutting opposition defence's to shreds. Something we've lacked for a long time at halfback.
...yeah right, cheers man!

T DAWG

Waterboy
Reaction score
He's got the ball playing skills and speed to be a good fullback and a threat in attack and bringing the ball back. Defensively sound as well. Not scared to put his body on the line like Jake Smashed Avocado was

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure he can play 5/8 have plenty of options in that department though. Remember watching a sharks game he was relentless at fullback 200+ metres tackle bust for days he puts his body on the line. Will serve us best at fullback but he has the ball playing skills for halves im sure of it.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's got the ball playing skills and speed to be a good fullback and a threat in attack and bringing the ball back. Defensively sound as well. Not scared to put his body on the line like Jake Smashed Avocado was
Shits on averillo even pace wise he would be close.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didnt know much about him other that the little bit I saw at the sharks. The last couple of posts have got me even more excited for the season...!!!

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is more of a runner than organiser / director of play. His best attributes are his speed and running game so in my view he’s better suited to fullback or 5/8 rather than halfback

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's just nice to have some exciting competition for spine positions. Plenty of Taaffe fans want him there, plenty of others want Tracey. Sure as shit beats asking who's better than Perham if we do drop him to reserves.

I'm realistic about our chances. Our halves still have question marks and we'll rely on some breakout seasons from props that haven't established themselves. But our second row is going to do damage and if they can link with our backline in the process we'll score plenty of points. So I think we'll be competitive this year. We may not be finals bound. But on our weeks we'll be entertaining.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Has anyone seen him play in the halves? Just wondering how he'd go if Sexton or Hutch don't work out. Seems like he's too skillful to be a winger. See some similarities with him and shifty who also spent time on the wing and FB.
Erratic error machine aka Josh Reynolds.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can play anywhere but is better suited at fullback.
With the way the fullback position has changed since Billy Slater paved a new way, I agree that in our squad he is our best option at fullback.
But I do love the fact that both he and Blake Taaffe grew up playing in the halves and will be putting pressure on the other halves for a spot.

IMO, our best spine would be
1. Tracey
6. Burton
7. Taaffe
9. Mahoney

I think Tracey & Taaffe are going to be the biggest positive talking points of our successful season in 2024.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the way the fullback position has changed since Billy Slater paved a new way, I agree that in our squad he is our best option at fullback.
But I do love the fact that both he and Blake Taaffe grew up playing in the halves and will be putting pressure on the other halves for a spot.

IMO, our best spine would be
1. Tracey
6. Burton
7. Taaffe
9. Mahoney

I think Tracey & Taaffe are going to be the biggest positive talking points of our successful season in 2024.
I haven't been to training,but I would be surprised if Taaffe played 7. I'd love Tracey at fullback though. If Taaffe doesn't play fb, he will be Reggies or 14 at best imo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Left edge 6. He could easily be thrown into that position and over better passing / service than Burton did last season

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how he goes. I think he has had a number of leg injuries that really stifled his career. I thought last year was one of his best seasons. Forced Talakai out of centre and imo was playing better at fullback than Kennedy. Def one to watch.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I haven't been to training,but I would be surprised if Taaffe played 7. I'd love Tracey at fullback though. If Taaffe doesn't play fb, he will be Reggies or 14 at best imo
I think CC is really conservative. He will play Critta at centre (most likely left) as that is his best position. I think he also likes the idea of having hutch at 7, that way we will have 2 big bodies (95-100 kgs) in the halves hopefully shoring up the defence. Hutch has probs an equally good kicking game as sexton, sexton's short kicking game is way better, but the new rules nullify that a bit. However with Critta, Kiraz, kiks etc in our team I expect us to win way more than 50% of short dropouts. I think Taafe at 7 or 6 is just too big a target considering our forward pack. With Hutch and Burton when a forward looks up only target will be Reed and we can anticipate that and help him out more this year, he just got caught one on one way too much last year. IMO I think Taafe will likely be reggies fb or maybe half as we need Joash in that team especially if he is too old to play flegg. Taafe will be second choice fb and may win a half spot over sexton in case of injury or form to Burto or Hutch. Trials will be very interesting.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think CC is really conservative. He will play Critta at centre (most likely left) as that is his best position. I think he also likes the idea of having hutch at 7, that way we will have 2 big bodies (95-100 kgs) in the halves hopefully shoring up the defence. Hutch has probs an equally good kicking game as sexton, sexton's short kicking game is way better, but the new rules nullify that a bit. However with Critta, Kiraz, kiks etc in our team I expect us to win way more than 50% of short dropouts. I think Taafe at 7 or 6 is just too big a target considering our forward pack. With Hutch and Burton when a forward looks up only target will be Reed and we can anticipate that and help him out more this year, he just got caught one on one way too much last year. IMO I think Taafe will likely be reggies fb or maybe half as we need Joash in that team especially if he is too old to play flegg. Taafe will be second choice fb and may win a half spot over sexton in case of injury or form to Burto or Hutch. Trials will be very interesting.
I think Sexton plays 7, He is 22 has potential and will improve. Taaffe will be a good mentor in reggies

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's OUR fullback. Got that Dyan Edwards energy and bouncy running style. Better ballplayer. Way more errors though.