Canterbury promise to hunt down world’s best young league talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People arent stupid, i never felt comfortable with the dopes we had at the helm previously.Anderson is a straight shooter and his words make me feel better about the plight of our club.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNABLE to sign a marquee player for the next two to three seasons due to their salary cap debacle, Canterbury will embark on a worldwide hunt for the most promising juniors playing rugby league and rugby union.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Bulldogs will pursue youngsters across Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, France, Samoa, England and Fiji.

Bulldogs director and football club committee member Chris Anderson said of the club’s salary cap horrors: “We have inherited a mess.”

Kids will be told there is an opportunity at one of the world’s most famous rugby league clubs. Anderson even joked he was searching in Russia.

“We are looking everywhere mate, anywhere where kids play rugby or rugby league. We want to say to these kids that there is opportunity at Canterbury,” Anderson said.

“We need to cast our net as wide as we can and try and come up with the best kids in the positions we need. There is opportunity for kids, who in two to three years want to be first graders.

“It is opportunity in a family and once we get you here, we will invite you into what the family is all about; try and get you to have that feel about the club and really love what the club is about.

“Really, we don’t want to be a club that is buying marquee players, maybe one a year when you get your cap where you want it, to keep it rolling over, and then you fill in the rest with development kids.

“We’d like to produce our own marquee players.

“I did this with ‘Bullfrog’ (legendary Bulldogs secretary Peter Moore) in the ‘70s and I am annoying the shit out of people now, chasing blokes and asking a thousand questions.

“We can build our culture around these kids. If you get established stars, it’s hard to build a culture but with kids, you can build them into your culture. By the time they are in first grade, they love the club.

“We have gone and got the best kids before – we got Dean Pay as a kid, Jason Smith as a kid. Craig Polla-Mounter, Jason Hetherington, they were kids we got from school and we developed them. That’s the type of club that we are.

“The great thing is this is a club that can give kids opportunities. Other clubs like the Broncos, it’s hard for kids to get a shot because they have so many established stars.”

Canterbury this week let Aaron Woods join Cronulla, a week after Moses Mbye left for Wests Tigers.

Their departures mean Canterbury will now target kids and possibly middle-tier players.

“We can’t go chasing established stars at the moment. When I took over (as coach in 1990), we only had six or seven players left so we decided to go and chase kids,” Anderson said.

“We are getting back to the roots of what Canterbury is about and has been. We are a development club that for the last six or seven years has forgotten about development. There is a bit of a void there.

“We need to get back to being a development club; kids on the edge of first grade who are coming through.

“The club is out there busily chasing kids and building up our stock of good kids – there are plenty of good kids out there. We just need to make sure we get out there and get our share. It will be a couple of years before we are looking at marquee players.”

Canterbury has well-documented salary cap issues with Anderson saying they are simply top-heavy in certain positions. He also claimed his club was realistically hoping to finish in the top eight next season.

“Obviously we have salary cap problems – we have inherited a mess,” Anderson said. “We have eased some it by getting rid of Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods – as much as you don’t want to let good players go.

“The fact we had nowhere to move on the salary cap made it necessary for us to move blokes who can be moved on, unfortunately.

“We just had too much money spent in areas positionally that weren’t being productive for us so we couldn’t spend it in the right areas. We’ve got a lot of money tied up in certain positions that are making it hard for us to build an overall team.

“I think next year if we can get it right, we will be towards the bottom of the eight – that’s a realistic thing to aim for next year, if things fall how we want them to fall.

“We’re back in the market now to an extent. Not big-time but back in the market to try and fix up a few areas where we need to fix up.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/b2a07f393df2a571e635bc590bd332b4
I think the club is in good hands,with Anderson,and hopefully mark Hughes coming on board,they are both very good judges of talent,

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So who gets trips around the world courtesy of the club (all expenses paid)?

What about the hopefuls coming up through HMatts/SGBall/Flegg currently?

“I did this with ‘Bullfrog’ (legendary Bulldogs secretary Peter Moore) in the ‘70s and I am annoying the shit out of people now, chasing blokes and asking a thousand questions.
"When I took over (as coach in 1990), we only had six or seven players left so we decided to go and chase kids,” Anderson said.
If we continue to constantly talk about the past, we are never going to progress into the future.

The games changed, and other clubs have out developed us so much these days (both locally and internationally). The fact is with times changing there is little interest in junior leagues in the Canterbury Bankstown area. Most other clubs have access to a good local junior base.

Whereas in the past we might have been the only team with a talent scout in a regional area (or overseas), nowadays every club has talent scouts locally and internationally, and you are fighting with those clubs to secure talent. If the Dogs start talking to them, the player gets interested. Player then calls around to other clubs.

Roosters offer them a brand new unit to stay in, and a nice new Jag/Ferrari/etc etc whilst they are in contract.
Dogs offer them a shitty rundown rental in Campsie, and a Kia Rio.

Who do you think they sign with?

Perfect example is our McDonnell achieved Keebra Park association.

Broncos have first pick so swoop in and get the best talent (they snagged guys like Tanner Boyd and David Fifita). Anyone they don't want it's left between Bulldogs, Panthers, Titans, Souths and Knights (from memory).

From that association we currently only have one player that looks the goods (Brock Hamill) and hes currently undergoing cancer treatment for the second time. All the others (about 3 I think) are yet to be sighted outside Qld Cups Reserve Grade.

Same with other schools like Logan Brothers. No other club gets anything but the discards that Broncos don't want. They get first choice.

Meanwhile Fittler and Johns headed to Fiji and snapped up local talent (Eto Nabuli), who signed with Panthers.

So that only leaves regional and international areas. Problem is that most other clubs have already tapped into contacts in most areas, and get first pick of anything decent.

Surely the club don't expect the fans to sit around for a decade whilst they find, recruit, nurture, and finally put together a side that won't miss the 8. The fans deserve better.

Quit making excuses, get off your arses, and start making some enquiries with guys like Fergo and shit.

Heck, here's two guys to call tomorrow Chris:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Relax Mr Invisible, the Keebra park association if only young and the club is in despair. Over time the relationship will become stronger and we will start getting good picks once our club is in a strong we position.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
A tonne of good young talent gets developed by clubs only to be pouched by another club as they start to find their feet in first grade. We can't rely on what worked in the 70's. Meaningful Contracts and loyalty are gone.
The most successful clubs use a smart mixture of development and recruitment.... good clubs do still bring players up through their system....and realistically, we aren’t in a position to go out signing elite established players st the moment.

Seems like a sensible plan to me... keep expectations relatively realistic and try to build a foundation.... in a couple of years, we may be in a position to make a key buy or two and to really be a force. But we do have to get our development back on track.... look st Melbourne... always developing players to deal with the inevitable roster turnover that comes with sustained success.

It’s shit that we’re in this position financially, but we are.... so pissed off we had to pay Hasler out after he dug as into this hole. Just can’t believe Dib re-signed him before letting him go.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Chris don't joke about looking as far as Russia, there are some BIG BOYS in Russia that could become top notch forwards and play long minutes. F@ck it I can't help myself, Rusev udrya Rusev machka!
Hate to be THAT guy, but Rusev is actually Bulgarian :p

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
TBH I read the article twice because I thought it was piss take !

But

The Andersons have spoken!

That reinforces my belief that Anderson has lots more involvement with the recruitment

Hopefully he helps Pay coach too

Great to hear him saying too 8 on the cards as a realistic goal and none of this defeatist attitude!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So who gets trips around the world courtesy of the club (all expenses paid)?

What about the hopefuls coming up through HMatts/SGBall/Flegg currently?

If we continue to constantly talk about the past, we are never going to progress into the future.

The games changed, and other clubs have out developed us so much these days (both locally and internationally). The fact is with times changing there is little interest in junior leagues in the Canterbury Bankstown area. Most other clubs have access to a good local junior base.

Whereas in the past we might have been the only team with a talent scout in a regional area (or overseas), nowadays every club has talent scouts locally and internationally, and you are fighting with those clubs to secure talent. If the Dogs start talking to them, the player gets interested. Player then calls around to other clubs.

Roosters offer them a brand new unit to stay in, and a nice new Jag/Ferrari/etc etc whilst they are in contract.
Dogs offer them a shitty rundown rental in Campsie, and a Kia Rio.

Who do you think they sign with?

Perfect example is our McDonnell achieved Keebra Park association.

Broncos have first pick so swoop in and get the best talent (they snagged guys like Tanner Boyd and David Fifita). Anyone they don't want it's left between Bulldogs, Panthers, Titans, Souths and Knights (from memory).

From that association we currently only have one player that looks the goods (Brock Hamill) and hes currently undergoing cancer treatment for the second time. All the others (about 3 I think) are yet to be sighted outside Qld Cups Reserve Grade.

Same with other schools like Logan Brothers. No other club gets anything but the discards that Broncos don't want. They get first choice.

Meanwhile Fittler and Johns headed to Fiji and snapped up local talent (Eto Nabuli), who signed with Panthers.

So that only leaves regional and international areas. Problem is that most other clubs have already tapped into contacts in most areas, and get first pick of anything decent.

Surely the club don't expect the fans to sit around for a decade whilst they find, recruit, nurture, and finally put together a side that won't miss the 8. The fans deserve better.

Quit making excuses, get off your arses, and start making some enquiries with guys like Fergo and shit.

Heck, here's two guys to call tomorrow Chris:

Not true about Keebra. There are 4 young blokes who are coming down to play for us next year and apparently they show promise. The recruiters have already scoured the local comps in Sydney and have 40 kids in 15 year age bracket coming in during the holidays to play in two squads against other kids to see where they are at. They are going to pump basic skills into them and then give them a few games. There's plenty happening in the background but this is about investing in the future not fixing todays FG team.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There is a kid from Cooktown,that will be playing in a qld jersey within the next five years,currently playing in the front row for different local and rep sides that my son plays in his name is jazz spry the cowboys are trying to get him signed ASAP he is 15.This is the type of kid we should be chasing,you herd it here first Chris

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We missed the finals in 90, 91 and 92, then won the minor premiership in 93, made the GF in 94 and won the comp in 95 - before Super League stuffed our team and probably cost us another comp or two. Anderson built that and he just knows good footballers. He did the same at Melbourne, but as much through marquee players as young guys, so he knows both roads. Sorry if some people have no realisation of the situation or have no patience, but this is the best road for now. I'm stoked Anderson is out in front with the recruitment.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Chris don't joke about looking as far as Russia, there are some BIG BOYS in Russia that could become top notch forwards and play long minutes. F@ck it I can't help myself, Rusev udrya Rusev machka!
Can you imagine in the game against the Rorters, one of these Russians walking up to Napa and saying "I will break you" (in a Russian accent) lol...

Napa would be like....

image.jpeg

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the Panthers though they develop so many players that if they lose a few it doesn’t bother them. Hopefully we can get to that stage.
100% what I was thinking. A shame some people don't accept it takes time

Status
Not open for further replies.