Canterbury promise to hunt down world’s best young league talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Get what your saying Mr I but I think any player in RL these days would know that contracts don't mean anything at any club and that's on both sides of the fence. The NRL are to blame for this IMO.

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
On a serious note why arnt there more middle eastern heritage players playing for the dogs?
Because smoking Argileh (Sheesha) doesn't leave a lot of spare time for training

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We missed the finals in 90, 91 and 92, then won the minor premiership in 93, made the GF in 94 and won the comp in 95 - before Super League stuffed our team and probably cost us another comp or two. Anderson built that and he just knows good footballers. He did the same at Melbourne, but as much through marquee players as young guys, so he knows both roads. Sorry if some people have no realisation of the situation or have no patience, but this is the best road for now. I'm stoked Anderson is out in front with the recruitment.
Add Mark Hughes and Steve Mortimer (Bulldogs little Helpers) to Anderson's recruitment drive and things certainly start looking a lot better.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we get Simonsson back from Rugby? That'd be a start.
He really liked Canterbury but hated Hasler.
He is doing well at the moment making easy coin playing 7’s rugby but he may well be interested next year...i will keep you posted

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a serious note why arnt there more middle eastern heritage players playing for the dogs?
Why should there be? Because we are the wog dogs? Why aren't there more playing for fucking parra? Can't see how that's on a serious note at all

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to these no names they find and really looking forward to them proving all the haters wrong ,we are the Bulldogs and we will prove the critics wrong.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smart article too IMO, let's the young blokes out there know that the "hiring" sign is up at the Doggies and a genuine pathway to first grade if your good enough. The dogs should hold an open try out at the start of the year like you see on those yank sporting movies. See if we can bring them to us as well.

Love the realistic talk to in that hopefully a bottom of the 8 next year. Read everything I want to hear tbh.

Call me a sadist but I am excited about a rebuild, the previous years were terrible and always said we have a fair bit to offload if we want to start again. Our club was rotten from the top through to the bottom from what I can tell.
Open try outs is old school
Love it!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
An article that's stating what's already been stated 1000 times? Fresh...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bullfrogs record speaks for itself, but the constant talk by our current admin of doing things like Bullfrog did in early 90s & before is worrying..

Times have changed. Things are far more competitive & cut throat. Every other club has scouts and a whole network to recruit the best young talent.

The talk about doing what we did in the early 90s is irrelevant and outdated. We can just as much talk about the crop of young guns the club developed in the early 2000s JT Mason Anasta Sherwin Asotasi Maitua etc etc
Would love to hear how the times have changed and why focusing on junior development won’t work now?

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you’re missing the point. I knew someone was going to come out and say that, it was only a matter of time.

To master the salary cap, and not just the Canterbury salary cap but also the cap for the other 15 clubs is about getting the balance right. It’s about getting a bang for your buck, value for your dollar. This is where developing your own players comes into it. So let’s just say we find a very promising player and we sign him up for $150k per year for two years. In his first year he kills it, his value goes up say to about $500k. He’s still got one year to go on his original contract. You then extend his contract for another two years at $500k per year. So he’s with the club for a further three years and he’s only 22 years old. By the time he’s 25 years old he might be worth $1m per year. The club then makes the choice. Is he a marquee player? Is he worth $1m per year? You have 5 other clubs chasing him, then one club pays the overs required at $1.2m a year and gets him. Guess what? The club that purchased him gets screwed, sure they’ve purchased a great player who will give them 4-5 great years but he has put a big dent in their cap. We got four great years out of him for 1.3m over those four years while the club he went to will be paying $4.8m over four years. Same amount of time at each club but we got the greater bang for our buck, we got the better value for his services. Did we lose a great player? Sure we did, but guess what? Because we had become a development club the next crop of players with that kind of talent will be coming through. The roster keeps replenishing itself. That way we will always remain under the cap and have enough money under the cap to fill holes in our squad by buying marquee players from other clubs if need be, keeping the balance right across the whole squad with a mix of young, seasoned and some old experienced heads.

Developing our own players and ensuring a steady stream of talent coming through the grades, never paying overs for players and ensuring big money is only spent on key spine positions and players that want to play for the jersey. And making sure we never get into a situation where we are paying $800k for a player playing in reserve grade like Eastwood at the moment.
yeah, either we are the team developing and then losing players or we are the team buying those players at top dollar. in the days of salary caps we are limited to the amount of money we can invest. but developing talent no salary cap. we can still bring in marquee players to fill a void when we have cap available.

also I don't think the releasing of woods and mbye will hurt the club too much. I think it'll make all players more cautious of signing back ended contracts with other clubs.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
A tonne of good young talent gets developed by clubs only to be pouched by another club as they start to find their feet in first grade. We can't rely on what worked in the 70's. Meaningful Contracts and loyalty are gone.
70s? Mate we did it in the early 2000s!!! And won a premiership 4 years later. We signed young players by the name of Asotasi, Sherwin, Mason, Thurston....... I could keep going. None of them were established first graders.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catch them young and teach them tricks.
And if they are any good, for Gods sake hold on to them!

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now they have to do it but this is music to my ears. It's the exact correct approach and what has always made Canterbury great.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We still need some old heads to work with these players and give them guidance as they come up through the ranks, thus a combination of seasoned professionals as well as juniors coming through the ranks.

Jackson, Tolman, and Klemmer - Fit that mould to assist forwards coming through the ranks.
Morris brothers (need to be retained) - To assist with backs coming through (Hoppa isn't the answer there).
Foran - To assist with halves coming through.
???? - To assist with hookers coming through.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It might take some more time and patience but I'm excited to hopefully soon see some young guns that bring excitement and hope for the future. We've suffered through enough all of these years..

I think most fans don't mind losing in the short term as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel and we're developing youngsters while losing...

This year is a write off as we have no real youngsters being blooded who will be better for the experience. So it's a complete wasted year in every regard. Hopefully from next year on we can all be writing about the potential of some of our players and the exciting times ahead instead of all of this speculation about cap issues.

I have faith in the new regime and think they've done a good job so far and are going about turning the club around the right way instead of making things worse with panic band-aid solutions like Hasler and Dib.

Soon we'll unearth some genuine talent and we can have rivals clubs and fans envious once again instead of laughing at us.
We've already unearthed some genuine talent. It is just that they are 17-18 years old and the club needs to take its time bringing them on. Warren McDonnell has been working overtime developing pathways for kids to come into our system. The future is bright but it is a little way off yet.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Open try outs is old school
Love it!
All clubs have open tryouts but that is largely for those who haven't been scouted previously. We work with the junior clubs to get all the age groups playing at the one location on the one day so the recruitment teams can watch all the kids play. From that they select a group of 40 and bring them into the club to do skills training and play a few games so they can see what they have got.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
We still need some old heads to work with these players and give them guidance as they come up through the ranks, thus a combination of seasoned professionals as well as juniors coming through the ranks.

Jackson, Tolman, and Klemmer - Fit that mould to assist forwards coming through the ranks.
Morris brothers (need to be retained) - To assist with backs coming through (Hoppa isn't the answer there).
Foran - To assist with halves coming through.
???? - To assist with hookers coming through.
Totally agree with your sentiments here we need a strong professional leadership group to guide these kids through. Jackson and Klemmer, Morris brothers and Foran to guide them to the promise land. I hope we start season 2019 with;

1. Meany
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Recruit???
5. Crichton
6. Foran
7. Cogger
8. Fualalo
9. Nu-Brown
10. Klemmer
11. RFM
12. Martin
13. Jackson

Ogden, Smith, Elliot, Tualau, To'omaga fighting for bench spots and JMK and Woolford for the bench 9.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add Mark Hughes and Steve Mortimer (Bulldogs little Helpers) to Anderson's recruitment drive and things certainly start looking a lot better.
I've seen other references to Mark Hughes being back but no details. What's happening there?

Status
Not open for further replies.