Canterbury halfback Brett Kimmorley to sign a one-year contract extension with club

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CANTERBURY half Brett Kimmorley will play on with the Bulldogs in 2011.
Kimmorley will meet his manager today to nut out a one-year extension of his long and glittering career.

The Daily Telegraph understands Canterbury want him back and an announcement could be made within three weeks.

Kimmorley, 33, had a slow start to the season but his stats have picked up over recent weeks.

He has had 13 tackle busts this year, had 50 kicks for 1458 metres and an 82.6 per cent success rate with long kicks into space. He is averaging 20 tackles a game.

Kimmorley will tell his manager George Mimis today that he has the desire and fitness for one final season in the NRL - his 17th year in first grade.

Canterbury officials are also aware the star halfbacks of the NRL - aside from Johnathan Thurston - are locked up. The Bulldogs are adamant they are not chasing Thurston.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageBulldogs : Legends give Ryan highest accolade
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"We have been in very close dialogue with the Bulldogs for some months about Noddy's role and his future," Mimis said.

"We haven't started the process yet of negotiation but that will kick off soon.

"I anticipate at our meeting that Brett will tell me he wants to go around again.

"And I anticipate the Bulldogs will be keen to have Noddy's experience on their roster beyond this season."

Retaining Kimmorley gives Canterbury another year to search for a long-term number seven after Daniel Mortimer decided to remain at Parramatta.

Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg said Kimmorley would essentially be allowed to make his own decision.

"If he thinks he can do it and his body is up for it, then that's great news," Greenberg said.

"He has the experience and standing in the game to make his own decision.

"Ultimately, he has earned that right.

"We will talk in the next few weeks.

"He has the longevity and the standing in the game.

"He will know what his body can take."

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs have confirmed an interest in young Melbourne prop Aiden Tolman.

Tolman is off contract with the Storm and wants to stay - but could attract big money by leaving.

Canterbury's interest in Tolman will increase sharply if homesick prop Ben Hannant opts to leave for a Queensland club.

"There is some interest there [in Tolman]," Greenberg said.

If the Bulldogs cannot find a suitable replacement for Hannant, he will be told to see out his contract until the end of 2012.

One Bulldogs source said: "It may not be in our best interests to let him go just because he is homesick."

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Dont know what to make of this, on his day he is still at the top but he is getting on in years, i guess it isnt that bad but please dogs, re-sign Barba ASAP before this other vultures come after him, he must be a priority

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noddy and ennis almost done. Now only barba and Morris left to resign asap.

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
Although I don't think BK is capable of taking a team to the premiership in the 30 week season the Nrl has become , I reckon its a good move as he can teach a lot to Barba especially bout how a little bloke can still be one of the best defenders on the field.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Dont know what to make of this, on his day he is still at the top but he is getting on in years, i guess it isnt that bad but please dogs, re-sign Barba ASAP before this other vultures come after him, he must be a priority
Agreed completely.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Benjamin Barba = NUMBER 1,2,3 priority for the club.

We can do a lot worse than signing Noddy for another season. The Guy is little champion. People have very short memories.

Awesome news on Tolman.

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Although I don't think BK is capable of taking a team to the premiership in the 30 week season the Nrl has become , I reckon its a good move as he can teach a lot to Barba especially bout how a little bloke can still be one of the best defenders on the field.
I also agree. What I also would like to see if that at some stage next year if he is not preforming he will step aside and retire.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Dogs should already be taking a more keen interest in Tolman knowing full well Hannant WILL be leaving

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Moore is KIDDING himself Kimmorley has been terrible this year imagine Barba he has worked hard in offseason been the shining light and your on the bench and still unsigned. Kimmorley has been making errors giving away penalties playing terrible gets a contract extension. I hope Barba stays with us but due to some MOORE mismanagement i cant see it

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sometimes you take 5 steps back to take ten steps forward. Give someone a go experiement with our juniors and Blake Green is more than capable

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Blake Green and Ben Roberts half combo, spooners for years to come.

Lets just get Adam Dykes and put him with Daniel Holdsworth with Michael Dobson for backup
No way mate barba and blake green, what does Adam Dykes and Michael Dobson have to do with the dogs???????
Mate Cooper Cronk have never played in the halves at one stage he was a centre they sent Matthew Johns to work with him and in my opinion he is the most consistant halfback. They took a hit for great reward but lets run with your idea champ wheel kimmorley out in his wheelchair so he can drop the ball 3-4 times a match give away 1-4 penalities and miss 4-6 tackles even his kicking game has got terrible did you watch last week he lots 1-2 yards slower the game is getting faster he is getting slower work it out genius

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see BK re-signing

hopefully we get Toleman he is a gun player for the storm and will go well with us..

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
aside from this who else is there off contract that is a genuine halfback that we can afford? THeres not much.... I dont think its a bad thing at all. He does have alot of experience
Completely agree.

Atm there are no better options. We all now Barba is not a halfback.

All BK needs to do is find form and people would welcome this. But atm his forwards arent helping him.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
This is fantastic news. BK is an absolute champion, a true leader, and a great player. I know some of you think he hasn't had a great start to the season, but it's very hard for a half back to shine like BK did last year when the rest of the team isn't shining with him.

I'm so glad to hear this, best news all week.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hoping he signed for a lot less than what he is on currently

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoping he signed for a lot less than what he is on currently
You'd want to hope so. A slice of that money should go to Benjiman Barba.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stats for BK is AWSOME! even though he is abit old, the stats are awsome to see that Brett has the power to go one more year... GO DOGGIES!

BARBA, MORRIS, ENNIS and now Brett.. resiging is AWSOME NEWS to hear.. well done to the bulldogs management..

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree.

Atm there are no better options. We all now Barba is not a halfback.

All BK needs to do is find form and people would welcome this. But atm his forwards arent helping him.
I agree with this but should his mediocrity be rewarded? Why rush into a new deal, i dont think any other clubs are looking at him?

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The stats for BK is AWSOME! even though he is abit old, the stats are awsome to see that Brett has the power to go one more year... GO DOGGIES!

BARBA, MORRIS, ENNIS and now Brett.. resiging is AWSOME NEWS to hear.. well done to the bulldogs management..
Except that Barba, Morris, and Ennis haven't been re-signed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.