News Bulldogs Set to Secure Blake Taaffe

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Critta vastly improves the team at centre defensively will cure that side and give us the leverage of brilliant strike options both sides. Honestly it’s strengthens the team overall I’m a fan of Taafe I think he has a higher ceiling then what his currently at and will be developed well here. Do believe he will be our starting fullback and have better on our wings appears Critta/Xerri/Alamoti will accomodate the centres.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should be another bloke whose name gets misspelt regularly so there is that ...

Instead of whining naysayers ask the goddamn coach or Gus when it's official bahaha.
Taaffe can play 7,6, 1 and 9 the ideal spine utility and an upgrade on Reynolds and Brown who were earmarked for a similar role.
Serious question can he play all those positions? I don't know as i don't follow Souffs closely(other than willing them to lose EVERY week and for Walker to implode/get his face broken)

Probably agree in the comparisons not that their levels were or are that high.Pretty small fella though ..

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always disliked the kids style of play... I don't know what it is, but he's one of those players that when they do good against you your like how the fuck did we let that **** through.
Matt Frawley does my head in against us. I'm sure he even tells us the dummy pass is on seconds before he throws it.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has quoted " Crichton isn't guaranteed to play fullback and we are hoping one of the young fullback will pop up "
Gus playing mind games again. The only reason Crichton signed with us was because he wants to play FB.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good signing. Pretty much like for like swap with Averillo. Where he plays is the big one. Doubt he’d leave Souths to be a bench utility. A backline of

1. Taafe
2. Fox
3. Critta
4. Xerri
5. Kiraz

That’s a solid back 5.
To many on here are conting the chickens with Xerri.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus playing mind games again. The only reason Crichton signed with us was because he wants to play FB.
Correction, FB money is what he’s looking for like most centre/wingers chasing a good dollar, I don’t think he cares where he plays in the backline tbh.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the number of whining that goes on in here. This guy single handedly tore us apart when we last played. Great signing imo
More importantly, he has a winning culture and a hard work ethic - something that Ciraldo has been trying to put into the players, and something that seems to be upsetting some of the players who can't match that standard.

We need hard workers, who don't give up in the face of adversity, more than we need overpaid stars.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s pretty much another Averillo. I would of preferred avo tbh

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Offering our leading try scorer $250k is fucking laughable after playing him out of position the whole year
We will regret this badlyyyy
Try to understand the bigger picture. It’s not a case only offering Averillo $250k. The problem started with the recruitment and retention team long before Averillo’s contract was offered.

We have a top 30 like everyone else. We already have to many backs in that top 30 for 2024. With Averillo not one of those. There is NO room for a big dollar signing. A max figure would have been worked out. They then need to find a player as good as possible to play for that figure.

The top 30 and the Cap are so much more complex that one player signing. Have a go at our recruitment team for stuffing the balance of our roster for years. Sometimes tough calls need to be made.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Try to understand the bigger picture. It’s not a case only offering Averillo $250k. The problem started with the recruitment and retention team long before Averillo’s contract was offered.

We have a top 30 like everyone else. We already have to many backs in that top 30 for 2024. With Averillo not one of those. There is NO room for a big dollar signing. A max figure would have been worked out. They then need to find a player as good as possible to play for that figure.

The top 30 and the Cap are so much more complex that one player signing. Have a go at our recruitment team for stuffing the balance of our roster for years. Sometimes tough calls need to be made.
Exactly this. But that won't satisfy the Kennel and certainly won't shut the trolls up.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s pretty much another Averillo. I would of preferred avo tbh
He's way better than Jakey boy. Jakey is an acceptable FB/centre maybe on the latter one. Taffe gives coverage in the halves, he's actually a half that's been forced to play elsewhere for a Souths side that have halves. Would not shock me if he's the coverage for Xerri but he's in the halves by mid season

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one knows these days...
Before we signed Crichton I was told by normally a reliable source that the figures we are paying are more than what Penrith were and less than what's reported, importantly he wasn't promised the fullback spot, maybe a shot at it.
What Gus said lately somewhat confirms what I've been told...We all know things do change !

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

An extra 150k would have made no impact on our cap. We have 2 mil to spend next year

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This will dampen abit of my anger at letting Averillo go.

Personally think Averillo is the more versatile player but Taaffe not far behind. In fact Taaffe may be more committed in defence and possibly a better talker / organiser.
Will be interesting to see if Bennett uses this weekend as an early fullback trial for next year . . .Avo will be a decent 14

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Averillo isn't either but would have been decent if he got left there 2 yrs ago. Taffe is half the price though.
As a back up i am happy to take Taffe, but to buy him and start him is a massive no no. To me that is regressing big time.

He is a handy pick up and perfect to cover injuries only. And if it is for 250k a year then yes.

Averillo is Moses Mbye 2.0. Jack of all trades but master of none. But shits all over Mbye.