News Bulldogs Set to Secure Blake Taaffe

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As a back up i am happy to take Taffe, but to buy him and start him is a massive no no. To me that is regressing big time.

He is a handy pick up and perfect to cover injuries only. And if it is for 250k a year then yes.

Averillo is Moses Mbye 2.0. Jack of all trades but master of none. But shits all over Mbye.
If Taaffe's starting fullback he'll be one of, if not the worst, starting fullbacks in the NRL. I'm not sure what that does for us again.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Taaffe's starting fullback he'll be one of, if not the worst, starting fullbacks in the NRL. I'm not sure what that does for us again.
2nd worst behind Perham...

If they buy him for anything but back up then we are fucked and havnt learnt anything

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2nd worst behind Perham...

If they buy him for anything but back up then we are fucked and havnt learnt anything
If he's coming here it's for more $ and/or a starting position. It's not looking good.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't mind the signing at all.

I believe Blake has actually spent the majority of his footy playing at 7.
IMO, could cover the halves, outside backs & hooker during a match if required through injury - making him the perfect 14.

He reminds me alot of our premiership Fullback Jason Alchin, who himself was a 7 converted to a Fullback by Gus to win that famous 1988 premiership.
I think Alchin eventually ended up playing hooker when he finished up at the Magpies if my memory serves me correct.
I’m hoping they have signed him with the intention of playing him at 6. See how he goes with Burton and Kikau outside him.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he's coming here it's for more $ and/or a starting position. It's not looking good.
He would be coming here on minimal dollars. With the aim of being given an opportunity to prove himself. His goal for 2024 would be to play 14.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perham was the worst starting fullback in the competition. Now he has been taken over by Averillo in the spot.

Averillo let’s in more try’s than he scores. He is a Jack of all master of none player. He isn’t a guaranteed starter at the Dolphins. He would struggle to get a run at most clubs. Yet people on here look at him like he is superstar.

I like Averillo but he isn’t worth big dollars with our current top 30 setup already stacked with backs.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's not a big contract and would be looking to crack First grade as he is stuck behind Trell Campbell Johnstone and plenty other players at South's.
He will look good in NSW Cup alongside Karl and Joash combining no doubt. I want to see Forwards in the middle as our next 6 signings before we get another utility player please!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Souths didn't really make Taaffe an offer. I'm not sure how much competition there was from other clubs. Based on that, it makes you think that he's on a pretty cheap deal.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know this isn't how tk works but how about we actually see him play a few games in our colour's before crapping on about how shit he is?
We have seen many years of his performances ar souths

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So?

That's at souffs and he hasn't even laced a boot for us yet so who knows he might compliment our system quite well
You cant polish a turd but you can dress it up in glitter...

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind his signing as FB if Crichton is to play centre. But then that creates more problems as 1 of Xerri or Skelton is likely to miss out.
Then 1 year or so down the track it creates an environment where we likely lose Joash Papalii.

I know some people will say he can play #14... But that doesn't solve the Mahoney not being able to play 80 does it
Yeah FB for me

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's way better than Jakey boy. Jakey is an acceptable FB/centre maybe on the latter one. Taffe gives coverage in the halves, he's actually a half that's been forced to play elsewhere for a Souths side that have halves. Would not shock me if he's the coverage for Xerri but he's in the halves by mid season
If he was that good, he’d replace the underperforming Lachlan Illias

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taaffe's a cheapish, lower-mid range squad-filler, with some potential and versatility. He's not the worst, and has improved a lot in 12 months, but I think we all want the dominant middles and quality halves so bad, that anything outside that feels like a dud. Ho-hum really.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
As a back up i am happy to take Taffe, but to buy him and start him is a massive no no. To me that is regressing big time.

He is a handy pick up and perfect to cover injuries only. And if it is for 250k a year then yes.

Averillo is Moses Mbye 2.0. Jack of all trades but master of none. But shits all over Mbye.
Correct on Averillo. Although I have said on another post that if Averillo come through our system in the era when patten was around averillo would be a good fullback. Players learn from leaders, poor av had no one and he is the only junior from his era LoL

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I havnt seen too much league the last few years,because I hate to watch other games when we are shitty

But what I have watched he was OK, wasn't he? Didn't he go alright in the finals series 2 years ago?

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind his signing as FB if Crichton is to play centre. But then that creates more problems as 1 of Xerri or Skelton is likely to miss out.
Then 1 year or so down the track it creates an environment where we likely lose Joash Papalii.

I know some people will say he can play #14... But that doesn't solve the Mahoney not being able to play 80 does it
You might find Taafe can actually play 9 to give Mahoney a spell. He played a lot of his junior footy in the halves - so he can pass a ball and defend in the front line.