Bulldogs Player Movements | Re-Signings | Rumour Mill | 2013 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Souths (our opposition) for the 2014 premiership will be pretty much unstoppable with ferguson and matulino on their books. Old rusty looking after more than the burgess family of late i hear.

A

Alexander the Great

The problem nowadays with our club is that we are not breeding or not giving our youngsters a fair go. We in the Junior league have a very strong and successful circle.
We need to invest in our local juniors. In the 80s and 90s our top grade sides fielded approx 75% of local players ( not sure if that was a rule though). These days we are to reliant on BUYING players. Having your local juniors come through the grades should have some meaning and pride in the jersey more than just purchasing non loyal players who only follow the $$$$, not blaming the players as this great game has turned in a BIG BUSINESS.

WE NEED TO INVEST AND BELEIVE IN OUR LOCAL TALENTED JUNIORS MORE.

Invest more in our Juniors like Ben Barba right ?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
keep in mind that there are third parties endorsements, and with russell and that other bloke backing the club, its easy to see how other kinds of income can be derived.

Put it simply, I don't think Fergo will be on that much, 400k but the third party endorsements are the real plugga.

GI is on 900k a year or something.. the Burgess boys, probably 500k (ex the older one), Isaac probably the same. Sutton, 400k. Keary, **** all cause he is new. Reynolds... he re-signed like last year right? 500k. assuming my understanding that the yearly cap is how much they can spend that YEAR, ala 5 or so odd million, it'll be tight, but they probably aren't breaching.

I mean Russell is probably losing money on this venture, but he is probably throwing some cash at the boys under thinly veiled guises.. shit like extras on his movie, security at parties etc. and yo keep in mind, Barba was only on 350k a year, so you can sort of use that as a good gauge on the calibre of players and their salaries.

I'm more interested in the Broncos.
You left out two more origin players in Te'o who was killing it when signed, McQueen still other players who wouldn't be on peanuts like Merritt etc. Also you must remember Barba was signed to 350kish BEFORE DES. Before Daly M just purely on the ability we saw he had though he was still very raw and poor in bombs, defense etc. We signed him to a 4 year deal at 300k-400k a year... Makes you know someone like S Burgess is on closer to 1 mil then 300k-400k. Inglis too. Te'o might be on the same sort of money.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Souths (our opposition) for the 2014 premiership will be pretty much unstoppable with ferguson and matulino on their books. Old rusty looking after more than the burgess family of late i hear.
I don't believe for one second Matulino is heading there without some real quality players leaving. Matulino would be able to ask as much as any prop in the comp. He is still so young, so strong and literally would be in the top bunch of props in the game like Graham, Scott, Fafita, Kas, JWH, Kas ,Tamou

EYE.CACK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem nowadays with our club is that we are not breeding or not giving our youngsters a fair go. We in the Junior league have a very strong and successful circle.
We need to invest in our local juniors. In the 80s and 90s our top grade sides fielded approx 75% of local players ( not sure if that was a rule though). These days we are to reliant on BUYING players. Having your local juniors come through the grades should have some meaning and pride in the jersey more than just purchasing non loyal players who only follow the $$$$, not blaming the players as this great game has turned in a BIG BUSINESS.

WE NEED TO INVEST AND BELEIVE IN OUR LOCAL TALENTED JUNIORS MORE.
I hear you. In recent times however I think we've seen more local juniors evolve and I rekon it's a current objective. But I don't think it's too bad. There was alot more to the 80's and 90's than just locals playing. The rules where different, you could have a smoke and a beer in the change rooms, there was no Internet and the piece if shit that is ANZ wasn't around. The decision to play there was the final straw for my membership. I'm sorry if that upsets anyone but it really upset me that we play there. A couple of games a year with big crowds reminds me of a junky getting a fix. I prefer our 'business leaders' to focus on consistent numbers week in week out in the 25-35k range...the average crowd for an nrl match is around 14k I think, we average around 18k. 'Big business' has a lot to answer for. (Just have to confirm those figures, I saw them recently and I was shocked)

EYE.CACK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
15.7k is what wiki reckons was the average nrl crowd per game...on the phone n can't work out how to paste the link but the page covers all codes...nrl is not doing well unfortunately.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
There is an issue that I heard from yesterday that is starting to creep up.
We were too nice with them surrounding Barba, and now they are playing the price is right with us. The Broncos that is.

To put it simple, the Broncos are asking for more now as they are after someone else (and claim 3rd party deals). I assume its KMH. No surprise that this came straight after their rivals the Titans made a play for him.

Doggy Styles

Waterboy
Reaction score
Exactly!!
People have short memories..
Barba was and is a good attacking player.. Defensively he was and will be a liability at the Broncos..

Look at the best wingers n fullbacks around.. They are all tall.. Doggies need to get some size in the fullback role..

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were too nice with them surrounding Barba, and now they are playing the price is right with us. The Broncos that is.

To put it simple, the Broncos are asking for more now as they are after someone else (and claim 3rd party deals). I assume its KMH. No surprise that this came straight after their rivals the Titans made a play for him.
Jimmy any word on Fergo?
I noticed he said in an article today that he would make an announcement about league after his fight on Mundines undercard.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Jimmy any word on Fergo?
I noticed he said in an article today that he would make an announcement about league after his fight on Mundines undercard.
We aren't signing Fergo. Was surprised someone on here claimed a few months ago that it was a done deal.

Roosters or Bunnies for him, I think he will go with G.I team. Don't ask me how they can afford him, because its one of the parts of the NRL I well and truly hate. It conveys there shouldn't be a salary cap to begin with, if it implies that this will only be the case for certain teams.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jimmy,
Pissst (not sure on the spelling) was the one that claimed Fergo was a done deal.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or Cam Smith. KMH would be a fill in at 5/8.. which makes me wonder if they are going to get Milford.

Either way, this Broncos side is going to be nuts. If we're not with a chance, i'll be rooting for the rabbits to give it to them.

EYE.CACK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I bet ferg will play for free in 2014 nrl. Rep footy payments only. That should be enough to demonstrate rehabilitation, and that he his humble and respectful and a good religious person. A few !!EXCLUUSIVE!! interviews. rooters/bummies win comp.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I've been hearing it will be Keary and Walker in the halves and Sutton to lock to start 2014. Reynolds will be fighting for his spot after failing to follow and execute the game plan in the last month of the comp. apparently he's on the outer. We should watch with interest
in reality this is BS

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
15.7k is what wiki reckons was the average nrl crowd per game...on the phone n can't work out how to paste the link but the page covers all codes...nrl is not doing well unfortunately.
The thing is that NRL is best viewed on TV. Unless they severely drop the ticket prices I can't see the crowds increasing much. There just isn't enough incentive to go to games.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
The thing is that NRL is best viewed on TV. Unless they severely drop the ticket prices I can't see the crowds increasing much. There just isn't enough incentive to go to games.
Totally agree. Especially when they stick certain teams in the same time slot week in week out. Thursday night football is a shit house idea to get fans to the game, same as Monday. Both are blatantly designed to be watched on tv.
Anyone who has kids that play footy or other sports know that they either train on Wednesday or Thursday (more likely Thursday) that means rushing home just to see the game. Forget about actually getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.