Bulldogs plan to cover loss of Aaron Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HE’S the young Kiwi forward who could turn into the silver lining in Canterbury’s salary cap woes.

The Belmore club was forced to let go of big-name signing Aaron Woods on Tuesday to ease their cap crisis.

But his release has allowed coach Dean Pay to unleash boom rookie Ofahiki Ogden.

The 22-year old was poached from the Warriors and can play in the back row and up front.

Bulldogs lock Adam Elliott said while it was “upsetting” to lose Woods, it opened the door for the likes of Ogden to prove their top-grade pedigree.

According to Elliott, Ogden, known as “Ofa” to his teammates, is a hard hitter who is tailor-made for the physicality of the NRL.

Ofahiki Ogden is set to benefit from the Bulldogs’ salary cap dramas. Picture: Getty
“In saying how sad it is in seeing Woodsy go, there is a great opportunity for someone like Ofa, who could go on to big things in the future,” he said. “I think he’s going to be a great player so I’m pumped to be out there with him.

“He’s tough as nails. He played in the reserve grade game (for NSW Residents) on the weekend against Queensland. From all reports he played really well.

“He’s someone I steer clear of at training when I’m running the ball because he’s definitely got some big shoulders on him and he’s a big boy.

“He’s trained really hard and he’s played really hard in reserve grade and he’s earned his spot.”

Woods only played 14 games for the Bulldogs but the former Blues forward managed to leave an indelible mark on his teammates at Belmore.

Aaron Woods has gone to the Sharks after a less-than-impressive stint at the Bulldogs. Picture: AAP
“I said on Tuesday, Woodsy is a big player with a big voice and he’s loud and vocal on the field,” Elliott said.

“Now that he’s gone, it’s just natural someone’s got to step up and fill that spot.

“I don’t think one person can do it, it’s going to be collectively as a group.”

But Elliott said he was determined to step up in his absence and that he was ready to be a leader in his side’s pack.

“As someone who loves this club and is passionate for it, I’m going to step up and try to take some of the pressure off of some of the other boys,” Elliott said.

“We’ve got debutants or guys who haven’t played many NRL games this weekend but I’m at the point in my career now where I’ve got make that decision to step up and try and fill those shoes.”

Woods and Elliott formed a close bond in their short time as teammates both on and off the field.

Elliott revealed Woods had turned into a mentor and even though he was now in Cronulla colours he’d continue to turn to him for advice on how to improve his game.

“He really helped me with my consistency week in, week out with being a starting tight player,” he said.

“I played on the edge and then moving into the middle you’d think there isn’t much of a difference between playing second row and lock but when I did make the move I realised there is a lot you do need to adjust.

“Woodsy being the player he is, I tried to pick up as much as I can off him. We were talking yesterday and he’s probably someone I’d pick his brain whether he is here or not.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He looks the fittest of our reserve grade forwards..hopefully he is injected into the game at the right time and not just dumped in whenever with little thought.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've been wanting to see this kid for a while now so I'm glad that he gets his chance.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Adam also said we can make finals in 2018, not scoring any points isn't the reason we are loosing games. I hope he is telling the truth this time about "Ofa" being a good player

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Adam also said we can make finals in 2018, not scoring any points isn't the reason we are loosing games. I hope he is telling the truth this time about "Ofa" being a good player
I made a big deal of announcing to my workmates in March that we would win the comp this year. I have been bullied unmercifully since......

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ogden has been good in NSW Cup - has improved alot since the first couple of games - which is not something that could be said about many others in the squad.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From what I have seen he has been one of the best & consistent forwards for us in ISP this year along with To'omaga.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He looks the fittest of our reserve grade forwards..hopefully he is injected into the game at the right time and not just dumped in whenever with little thought.
Probably start play 10 mins then get garbage time towards end of the game then banished to Reserve Grade ala Toomaga

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guess this means Elliot will now race out of the line, miss the tackle and put all his teammates under pressure more than twice a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.