News Bets Ban Smells Of Hypocrisy

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not really the NRL's problem is it? The TV deal would still be the same irrespective of what ads are shown. as for clubs with sponsorships, thats their problem and they need someone within the club to chase other forms of sponsorship dollars like Warburton has
Broadcast deal pretty much pays for the club grants (player wages/salary cap). That reduced during Covid too. Yes it’s the NRL’s problem because they have a lot of fixed costs to pay for outside broadcast revenue - facilities, staff, marketing, grassroots grants, digital, travel and more. Remove betting sponsorship and they’re in the red. As for clubs, yes it’s their choice, but if you’re a struggling club like we’ve been for a few years, sponsors aren’t necessarily lining up. We’re lucky we have a wealthy league club. Manly for example don’t - so if you’re not winning, you’re likely in the red. CEO’s have to create a return for shareholders. I’m not dismissing corporate social responsibility, that plays a role of course, but the business has to come first otherwise there might be no business left.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a completely stupid angle to see this decision from. Laundy employs thousands of people in his hotels, has bistro's and restaurants and kids play areas, whereas the gambling companies employ 1 really good computer algorithm and 12 trained monkeys and there address is a shipping container. Pokies are out of bounds for under 18 whereas gambling adds get jammed into everyone's eyes who is watching. Laundy's profits stay mainly in Oz whereas if you bet with 365, they end in the pockets of that pommie bitch and her clan of inbreds.

Is Bulldog Ritchie still employed with News Corpse? I thought he was in your clubs' corner?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
whereas the gambling companies employ 1 really good computer algorithm and 12 trained monkeys and there address is a shipping container.
Not quite mate. A good buddy of mine works for a major sports betting agency in IT (and he’s not much of a gambler, to him it’s his job). They employ many people in Australia in technology (dev/support), sales and marketing and customer service roles. Yes, most are foreign owned, that’s true, but it’s still an industry that provides employment and contributes to the Australian economy. I get that many don’t like gambling and that’s fine - personal choices and all - but it plays its role and pays its taxes too.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Clearly most won’t agree with this view but I just don’t get the blame game. OK, so some ads are annoying, fair enough - a lot of brands tick that box, but seriously - is anyone going to legit try to claim that a TV ad ‘forces’ you to download an app, sign-up for an account, put your credit card details into said app and actually spend money? Please. It’s not like they’re guaranteeing results. How many of you buy a Powerball ticket and whinge about the ads for that? Should those ads be banned too? It’s the same deal - a game of chance that you elect to participate in. Where is the personal responsibility? If you stay away from pokies or buying lottery tickets you can also stay away from online betting. It’s not that hard.

Also, the automatic assumption that the game is now ‘fixed’ because of betting agency sponsorship - where’s the evidence? This is just like the Covid conspiracy thread :-).

Finally, sport and betting are hand in glove - always have been. It’s just easier these days via an app, as is banking and many other things.

So, let’s say gambling ads are banned.
Where else does the money come from?
When cigarette advertising was banned we said the same thing, where else is the money coming from?
When alcohol advertising was limited to certain times and places we said the same thing, where else is the money coming from?
There are always companies that want to advertise their products.

Otherwise pretty much agree with your sentiments, although constant bombardment of children with online gambling adds must seep in, even if it is subconsciously.

Always a Bulldog

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When cigarette advertising was banned we said the same thing, where else is the money coming from?
When alcohol advertising was limited to certain times and places we said the same thing, where else is the money coming from?
There are always companies that want to advertise their products.

Otherwise pretty much agree with your sentiments, although constant bombardment of children with online gambling adds must seep in, even if it is subconsciously.

Always a Bulldog
True, the Winfield Cup did become the Optus Cup in 1996 and the Rothmans Medal simply became the Dally M. Alternative sponsors are likely available but VB still plays a big part in the sponsorship of The Blues and Bundy Rum sponsored footy coverage for years - where was the outrage for the kids then? Mine aren’t interested in betting and don’t have credit cards so just like we do our best to keep them away from drugs and other stuff that can damage our lives it really is an education thing more than a ban thing as far as I see it. We can’t wrap them in cotton wool forever.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broadcast deal pretty much pays for the club grants (player wages/salary cap). That reduced during Covid too. Yes it’s the NRL’s problem because they have a lot of fixed costs to pay for outside broadcast revenue - facilities, staff, marketing, grassroots grants, digital, travel and more. Remove betting sponsorship and they’re in the red. As for clubs, yes it’s their choice, but if you’re a struggling club like we’ve been for a few years, sponsors aren’t necessarily lining up. We’re lucky we have a wealthy league club. Manly for example don’t - so if you’re not winning, you’re likely in the red. CEO’s have to create a return for shareholders. I’m not dismissing corporate social responsibility, that plays a role of course, but the business has to come first otherwise there might be no business left.
but irrespective of what ads are shown on TV, wont the TV grant be the same?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
but irrespective of what ads are shown on TV, wont the TV grant be the same?
Yes, but it doesn’t cover all the NRL’s costs - hence their association with other sponsors which of course ties into game day promotion. You’ll note you don’t see any(many) betting ads on a Monday but weekends are very different - event timing is key, just like when you tend to see more Coles ads leading up to dinner time.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Betting on NRL is fun.
The pokies can be a bigger social issue, they had better get onto the computer techs and loosen them jiggers up, nine out of ten times you hit the slappers you get raped.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone hear anymore on the UK soccer proposals to stop shirt sponsorship?

The ARL at the time banned Tobacco / smoking sponsorship due to society health concerns....IMO banning betting agency sponsorship should be enforced with the same vigor and intent. Gambling has ripped families apart, it has destroyed the meaning of true competition across all sports. Never have I gone into game day more worried about who the referee is going to be and whether our team was going to get a fair go during the game as I have every game since the NRL got into bed with these god damn parasites. What's even more conserning is when your 10 year old son or daughter start to quote "betting trends and game odds". For gods sake these are kids that are being conditioned as the next generation of gamblers. In all honesty all Betting sponsorship / ads should be axed immediately. Ryan Tandy took his own life due to being accused for match fixing. Being a God fearing man I do not wish to judge him, but I find it conserning that the NRL after throwing Tandy to the wolves gladly sold it's soul and the heart of our great game for a percentage of the gambling revenue accumulated per round.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The ARL at the time banned Tobacco / smoking sponsorship due to society health concerns....IMO banning betting agency sponsorship should be enforced with the same vigor and intent. Gambling has ripped families apart, it has destroyed the meaning of true competition across all sports. Never have I gone into game day more worried about who the referee is going to be and whether our team was going to get a fair go during the game as I have every game since the NRL got into bed with these god damn parasites. What's even more conserning is when your 10 year old son or daughter start to quote "betting trends and game odds". For gods sake these are kids that are being conditioned as the next generation of gamblers. In all honesty all Betting sponsorship / ads should be axed immediately. Ryan Tandy took his own life due to being accused for match fixing. Being a God fearing man I do not wish to judge him, but I find it conserning that the NRL after throwing Tandy to the wolves gladly sold it's soul and the heart of our great game for a percentage of the gambling revenue accumulated per round.
It just seems very very wrong on so many levels.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Don't disagree with what you've said but wasn't Tandy caught trying to match fix our game against the cows in 2010 by giving away the most blantant penalty ever in front of the posts but they took the set restart instead.

Can't get much lower than trying to fuck over your own teammates and fans for financial gain imo

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't disagree with what you've said but wasn't Tandy caught trying to match fix our game against the cows in 2010 by giving away the most blantant penalty ever in front of the posts but they took the set restart instead.

Can't get much lower than trying to fuck over your own teammates and fans for financial gain imo
Thats the whole sad point of the issue...the lengths "some" gamblers go to to repay debts owed or try and recoup losses and get themselves compromised.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same thing actually. I bet the club won't be getting rid of pokies. How long would the Leagues Club last without them ? How would we get on without the massive grants from the Leagues Club ?
There is a difference though. Sports betting is made easy for problem gamblers.
apps allow you to gamble from your lounge, accounts that link to your bank accounts, special offers and the like.
All gambling is shit, but online gambling is particularly bad.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Nasheed here,
Dogs knew he was doing it all season. But he played the game so damn hard that they just let slide a penalty here or there.
When it became public knowledge and he pushed it. They were forced to act.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, the Winfield Cup did become the Optus Cup in 1996 and the Rothmans Medal simply became the Dally M. Alternative sponsors are likely available but VB still plays a big part in the sponsorship of The Blues and Bundy Rum sponsored footy coverage for years - where was the outrage for the kids then? Mine aren’t interested in betting and don’t have credit cards so just like we do our best to keep them away from drugs and other stuff that can damage our lives it really is an education thing more than a ban thing as far as I see it. We can’t wrap them in cotton wool forever.
It would be interesting to see any decent research on how advertising bans effect the take up of these products, or in the case of gambling, have any effect on the people who have addiction? It's a bit different, but I recall seeing some early research on how plain packaging of cigarettes hadn't had much impact on young people smoking. IMO alchohol is the most damaging drug or addiction in society, legal or illegal, but we treat smoking and gambling more harshly.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

True don't disagree but what do you call biased refereeing with no accountability, no repercussions .....I'd call it match fixing.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This helps push the need for a profitable stadium.

An accessible Bulldogs commbank style stadium with top facilities and profitable corporate boxes, Bulldogs can profit from on other international and local events, including womens sport, naming rights, concerts, stadium climbs and tours, etc. Leagues clubs and government can and should help, club money would really be going to the community that way.

Imagine the home ground advantage added to last weeks Rabbitohs v Bulldogs Easter match.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see any decent research on how advertising bans effect the take up of these products, or in the case of gambling, have any effect on the people who have addiction? It's a bit different, but I recall seeing some early research on how plain packaging of cigarettes hadn't had much impact on young people smoking. IMO alchohol is the most damaging drug or addiction in society, legal or illegal, but we treat smoking and gambling more harshly.
I don’t think we need to see any studies to make the assumption that advertising a product generates leads.

The problem lies within how bookmakers have infiltrated Australian culture so quickly. It’s normal for a 12 year old child to give pocket money to his dad to make a bet. The child becomes an adult and he can do it himself without any blockers. Now we have generations of degenerates who pump their whole pay check into a mobile application. And they lose and it’s all a laugh.