News Bets Ban Smells Of Hypocrisy

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
NrHELL DAILY TERRORGRAPH MY DICK U CAN SUCK IT

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same thing actually. I bet the club won't be getting rid of pokies. How long would the Leagues Club last without them ? How would we get on without the massive grants from the Leagues Club ?
Pokies are terrible, but they are a different thing to sports betting. The very fact that a sport is so heavily supported by betting agencies creates a massive grey area in my opinion.how can we as fans be certain there's is complete transparency, and no match fixing? It just makes no sense to me as a fan.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sports betting sponsors are telling u to bet right on the jersey. Laundy is a hotel chain. It's saying use our hotel right on the jersey. Pokies just happen to be there.

Is Telstra advertising gambling by being a sponsor? They are the largest internet provider in the country. There's a million ways to gamble on the internet. I dont see it as any different.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Failme Terrorgraph at it again.

Sports betting is absolutely shoved in your face both at the game and whilst watching it at home. You can't escape it. Then theres online ads as well.

Pokies are only accessible to adults and within a club.

Completely different scenario.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same thing actually. I bet the club won't be getting rid of pokies. How long would the Leagues Club last without them ? How would we get on without the massive grants from the Leagues Club ?
Yes betting is betting and it takes many forms but the NRL itself ,who oversees all the clubs involved has a betting sponsor on its books in Sportsbet and its game day is saturated with ads for all sorts of betting agencies...that is the thing some clubs have gotten rid of in Souths and Canterbury... You can't place bets on poker machines that may influence things game day but we all have our thoughts on betting agencies and possibilities of influencing things in that way...

Does NRL make money from gambling?
Gambling revenue contributed approximately one-eighth of the dollars going into the overall rugby league industry last year.

Sharks club had pokies operating before it closed for renovation s and will do so again when it reopens..like every other does.... Sharks club gaming room has 90 electronic gaming machines including popular Lightning Link jackpot Link & a host of linked & stand alone jackpot machines.

Work has now commenced on the major redevelopment, one which will see the home of the Sharks transformed into a facility set to be the envy of all NRL clubs.

The current building will be gutted, leaving a blank canvass from which to work, with the final product something he expects Sharks members to be proud of.

The Leagues Club will be rebuilt on the top two floors and half the basement level out to the ground, The third floor will be the main operating floor, and will include a bistro, cafe, 1800 square metre alfresco deck overlooking Woolooware Bay, gaming area and chairman’s lounge.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WOW

Why does the article fail to mention that the Laundy Hotels & our Leagues club only have gambling in restricted licensed "Adult Only" areas.

But yet when I watch the footy with my innocent 9 year old son, he ask me all these questions relating to the constant betting markets and constant commentary surrounding betting on the game.

Then he tells me stuff like "So Dad, if I put $10 on that player to score the first try that means I would get that back"?

But yet if I ask him what a poker machine is he has got no idea.

No wonder the world is becoming so frigged up.

IMO, the direct promotion of gambling to an audience containing under 18's should be banned just like when they banned the promotion of cigarettes.

But I suppose the government would never make this happen as they also are making SQUILIONS from it all.

END VENT!!!
Very well said, you list the key points.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i think the fact you can just whip out your phone and is promoted on tv makes online sports bettings worse than pokies and not quite as hypocritical

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we start winning....we will be heroes with this decision.

If we keep being loser mugs, we will be battered from pillar to post, same as usual.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s one thing actively promoting gambling and getting donations from establishments who have gambling facilities

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This journo has lost the plot! There is one BIG difference between sports betting and pokies and that is children aren’t exposed to pokies ffs. Another thing is that reformed and problem gamblers find it very hard to quit the punt when all they want to do is watch a game of footy without having ten thousand sports betting ads thrown in their face! Makes it very hard to kick the habit for them, it’s just principally wrong and the government allows it to happen!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pokies are terrible, but they are a different thing to sports betting. The very fact that a sport is so heavily supported by betting agencies creates a massive grey area in my opinion.how can we as fans be certain there's is complete transparency, and no match fixing? It just makes no sense to me as a fan.
I'd go further and say it's more than a grey area. It's almost black. a blatant conflict of interest. When one of the biggest stakeholders in the game are betting agencies, how do you not suspect dodgy shit going on? Ever since the 2006 grand final, I have suspected some manipulation of results. There's been numerous instances since then, that could be construed as legit rorting, but it's usually just passed off as an error or some other bullshit. Not by most fans though.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This journo has lost the plot! There is one BIG difference between sports betting and pokies and that is children aren’t exposed to pokies ffs. Another thing is that reformed and problem gamblers find it very hard to quit the punt when all they want to do is watch a game of footy without having ten thousand sports betting ads thrown in their face! Makes it very hard to kick the habit for them, it’s just principally wrong and the government allows it to happen!
That's exactly my view. I'm not a gambler. I've put maybe 10-20 bets on in my life and played some pokies for a brief period many years ago. I haven't placed a bet in years. Even I'm sick to death of having to put up with gambling ads every 5 seconds when I'm trying to enjoy my favourite sport, let alone how bad it must be for addicts and those trying to kick the habit. It's flat out almost as bad as publicly pushing drugs. Everyone knows how harmful gambling can be. Why (does the government) allow it's promotion ffs? Money obviously. Even the footy broadcasts have their own segments on odds etc. I fucking hate it!

As for the pokies I don't really give a fuck. They don't affect me. I don't think about them because I'm not bombarded with ads for them all day. If adults want to play them, they are old enough to decide to do so. All these gambling ads day and night on tv, means there's no way to protect kids from seeing them. It's so wrong. I'm not familiar with other countries' laws, but I've visited many countries and don't remember seeing many gambling ads, if any. I'm talking about America, europe and Asia.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Told You the real owners of the National Betting League are going to be pissed....

Now watch their employees fuck us even harder than usual.
And the pressure builds.. That’s the problem. Before we even start the season it’s all against us and ONCE again.. the payers hearing/reading all this shit and having to perform, we fighting an uphill battle, soon see how game 1 and 2 pan out, will get an idea of how corrupt of a vendetta this shit all really is. Can’t get a break.!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd go further and say it's more than a grey area. It's almost black. a blatant conflict of interest. When one of the biggest stakeholders in the game are betting agencies, how do you not suspect dodgy shit going on? Ever since the 2006 grand final, I have suspected some manipulation of results. There's been numerous instances since then, that could be construed as legit rorting, but it's usually just passed off as an error or some other bullshit. Not by most fans though.
100% couldn't agree more. Massive conflict of interest. How can any fan have any faith in any result when the game is propped up by gambling companies!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The club only have themselves to blame on this one. Rothfield is just waiting to stick the boot in because of Gus and we pretty much have given him a free hit.
We will have satisfaction when he sharks fail to reach the heights people expect this season

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the writer of that article can't distinguish the differences between what the club is saying and making a stand about in relation to sports betting and the fact the club has poker machines, then they need a serious uppercut.

The club is taking a stand against the bombardment of Sportsbet/Neds/Pointsbet/Bet 365/Tab etc ads that feature heavily during coverage of NRL games. Kids and teens who tune in to watch their favourite team play are hammered with these ads relentlessly, and then go and purchase a jersey and are then walking around like a walking billboard for 'Ladbrokes' or something similar on the jersey. I definitely don't agree with how much promotion is given to betting agencies through the NRL (and all sports) be it via marketing campaigns or sponsorships, that cannot be a positive influence on anybody be it children or gambling addicts etc. If you want to have a punt, by all means. I don't agree with it being rammed down our throat the minute we turn on the football of a weekend - and obviously neither do the Bulldogs.

The difference then to the leagues club having poker machines are that only adults are able to access them, you won't see the Bulldogs run out in a jersey with 'More Chilli' plastered on the front either. So what if we are able to gain financial independence from the NRL without relying on handouts every year because we have a profitable leagues club? Isn't that a good thing? Adults who are making informed decisions to gamble in the designated areas of any club, not just ours, is completely different to impressionable children being subject to tv advertisements etc.

I cant believe the club isn't getting a rap for what should really be seen as morally and ethically doing the right thing, standard telegraph sticking the boot in

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Clearly most won’t agree with this view but I just don’t get the blame game. OK, so some ads are annoying, fair enough - a lot of brands tick that box, but seriously - is anyone going to legit try to claim that a TV ad ‘forces’ you to download an app, sign-up for an account, put your credit card details into said app and actually spend money? Please. It’s not like they’re guaranteeing results. How many of you buy a Powerball ticket and whinge about the ads for that? Should those ads be banned too? It’s the same deal - a game of chance that you elect to participate in. Where is the personal responsibility? If you stay away from pokies or buying lottery tickets you can also stay away from online betting. It’s not that hard.

Also, the automatic assumption that the game is now ‘fixed’ because of betting agency sponsorship - where’s the evidence? This is just like the Covid conspiracy thread :-).

Finally, sport and betting are hand in glove - always have been. It’s just easier these days via an app, as is banking and many other things.

So, let’s say gambling ads are banned.
Where else does the money come from?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, let’s say gambling ads are banned.
Where else does the money come from?
Not really the NRL's problem is it? The TV deal would still be the same irrespective of what ads are shown. as for clubs with sponsorships, thats their problem and they need someone within the club to chase other forms of sponsorship dollars like Warburton has