Best centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I disagree look at 2012 with barba sweeping in the back line giving early ball how dangerous did we look.
Plus I don't think anyone has the defence that Jmoz did.

Defence he was very solid, one of my fav players timu had pretty shit defence but it's the attack that stands out. Oh and his dreads.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Your prob thinking Daren smith his second stint with us as a forward. In his first stint and a centre he was more then solid but wouldn't say too much separated them anyway
True same body type. to be fair I didn't see smith play at the broncos either so he probably was a decent centre.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
First u told me he played 1 game there I proved you wrong, then u tell someone else their opinion of THEIR best centre is wrong when it's THEIR opinion, and if he played 1 game at centre and old mate thinks he was one of our best is up to him! U understand tiger lol
SBW may have played a few games at centre. But he was never a centre. Lol

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would rank them like this

1.vanganA
2.Connelly
3.mckraken
4.talau
5.timu
6.tonga
7.darren smith
8. Josh Morris
9.steven Hughes
10.lolesi

I can't remember Farah playing.
Connolly was good and one of my faves, but not in front of Timu, Talau or Tonga in their prime.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I recall Lolesi being pretty decent... He's not the best we've ever had, but he certainly is far from the worst.
Can't seem to find any footage of him in action for the dogs though.
There is plenty of footage of him in the 2004 bulldogs season review dvd. He was excellent that year.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Over his career at the Dogs SBW would have played over a dozen games at centre at least. Not that i would consider him a centre but he did play a fair amount of games there. Folkes played him there a bit because of the amount of injuries he was picking up. It was his way of trying to keep him out of wars as much as possible to keep him on the field. Also because we normally had more depth in the forwards than we did in the outside backs.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Josh Morris when given early ball was dangerous as anything and the very odd time he gets it now early he still looks good..

If he isn't at least in your top 10 then we must be watching a different player. Great defensively too.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think the most underrated centre we have ever had is Matt Ryan. When he was injury free he could break a tackle better than anyone. I think a bad back eventually caught up with him and finished his career early.

Another player that was a favourite of mine was Tony Currie. He didn't play long for us but was electric. Ironically I think his daughter is Ben Barba's missus.

Farrar, Morris and Tonga would be my top three though. Farrar was tough and deceptively quick. Tonga had a great in and away and early on had real speed. He bulked up a bit later together with injuries and lost his speed. Morris started out great as an attacking centre and then turned into the best defensive centre in the game.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Connolly was good and one of my faves, but not in front of Timu, Talau or Tonga in their prime.
To be honest talau was my favourite I'm not actually sure why I ranked vangana number 1

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Willie Tonga in 2004 was the best centre I'd seen in a long time. What was more shocking was he was a nobody when we signed him.
A great team will always make a promising player look good. A Champion Team will always be better than a Team of Champions.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Instead of torturing ourselves with the past, let's come up with the young future stars for centre.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the most underrated centre we have ever had is Matt Ryan. When he was injury free he could break a tackle better than anyone. I think a bad back eventually caught up with him and finished his career early.

Another player that was a favourite of mine was Tony Currie. He didn't play long for us but was electric. Ironically I think his daughter is Ben Barba's missus.

Farrar, Morris and Tonga would be my top three though. Farrar was tough and deceptively quick. Tonga had a great in and away and early on had real speed. He bulked up a bit later together with injuries and lost his speed. Morris started out great as an attacking centre and then turned into the best defensive centre in the game.
Matty Ryan was a good friend of our family and he was a gun but as tou rightly pointed out he was injured plenty and the back eventually did him over...could have been a club legend if not for injury....

Status
Not open for further replies.