Best centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Calm your farm chief, pretty sure he played centre for a fair chunk of his rookie year, fact is, he still played centre at some point and was straight up a handful
Playing two or three games at center doesn't make him one of the best center's to play for the blue n white chief!

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Playing two or three games at center doesn't make him one of the best center's to play for the blue n white chief!
That's his opinion not urs, I'm pretty sure it was his opinion, that's the great thing about our opinions, there not someone else's! Calm down tiger

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I recall Lolesi being pretty decent... He's not the best we've ever had, but he certainly is far from the worst.
Can't seem to find any footage of him in action for the dogs though.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of the group you named Number 18 I reckon Andrew Farrer and Nigel Vagana would be the best pairing. The blokes that played against Farrer looked like they'd done ten rounds with Danny Green and the ones that marked Vagana didn't come off much better. But they played in the days when things called inside and outside centres played. Not left centre and right centre.

But out of all the centres I can remember habs has got it right with Nigel Vagana and Josh Morris (at his best). That pair would be brilliant in both attack and defence.

Just a thought though, out of the Mortimer brothers, Steve, Chris and Peter I always thought that Peter showed enough skill playing on the wing to make a very good centre. Any Thoughts?
Peter Mortimer played a lot of centre early in his career under Ted Glossop - centre or wing he was pretty good without being spectacular.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've watched
Bernie lowther
Peter Winchester
Louie Mortimer
Andrew farrer
Jarrod mccracken
Willie talua
Darren Smith
Nigel vagana
Tony currie
Bernie Lowther - could take an intercept! -Won the backs race when they use to have the clubs provide their fastest back and forward. Races were run at either Wenty Park or Harold Park dogs.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Peter Mortimer played a lot of centre early in his career under Ted Glossop - centre or wing he was pretty good without being spectacular.
Thanks for that diddly. :grinning:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's his opinion not urs, I'm pretty sure it was his opinion, that's the great thing about our opinions, there not someone else's! Calm down tiger

Okay all this use of the word tiger is becoming creepy lol.

SBW was not a centre opinion or not it's just a fact he was not a bulldogs centre played one or two games max at centre.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okay all this use of the word tiger is becoming creepy lol.

SBW was not a centre opinion or not it's just a fact he was not a bulldogs centre played one or two games max at centre.
First u told me he played 1 game there I proved you wrong, then u tell someone else their opinion of THEIR best centre is wrong when it's THEIR opinion, and if he played 1 game at centre and old mate thinks he was one of our best is up to him! U understand tiger lol

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Many quality centers.
Matthew Ryan and Gary Connolly for me.
Farrar changed games with his defense, awesome.
Darren Smith, Steven Hughes, Vagana, Timu.....

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First u told me he played 1 game there I proved you wrong, then u tell someone else their opinion of THEIR best centre is wrong when it's THEIR opinion, and if he played 1 game at centre and old mate thinks he was one of our best is up to him! U understand tiger lol

Would you consider Jackson as one of our best hookers of all time?
Or Ben Roberts as one of our best fullbacks of all time?
I'm sure Roberts played fullback for the kiwis one time

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
No because rd 2 vs the sharks 2004 he played centre, I was there n watched him! Back 5 were patten elmasri williams tonga lolesi! Look it up tiger
Had a couple of games in the centres after that year too.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
J Moz everyday of the week , 09 - 12/13 best defensive centre in the game saving em are just as important as scoring em ;)

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We've had some great centres and the best 5 seasons of the past 25 years by centres in my opinion are the following:

Nigel Vagana= 2002
Willie Tonga= 2004
Josh Morris= 2009
Gary Connolly= 1993
Matthew Ryan= 1997

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We've had some great centres and the best 5 seasons of the past 25 years by centres in my opinion are the following:

Nigel Vagana= 2002
Willie Tonga= 2004
Josh Morris= 2009
Gary Connolly= 1993
Matthew Ryan= 1997
Glad to mentioned Matt Ryan!!!
I had forgotten him.
Such a good player and someone who the club gave a chance to when no one else would.
And man didn't he repay the club with intetest!

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would you consider Jackson as one of our best hookers of all time?
Or Ben Roberts as one of our best fullbacks of all time?
I'm sure Roberts played fullback for the kiwis one time
I never gave you an opinion on my best centre, I mearly said that was old mates opinion and u told him he was wrong! Did I say anything about me picking a player ? No! It's his opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.