AFL and NRL to take mid-season break should Australia host football World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebo_roo

Waterboy
Reaction score
those ppl complaining are the same ppl that will be getting up at 3am in the middle of next winter watching the socceroos play at south africa

at the end of the day the FFA, the federal government and fifa will get what they want, which is a massive boost to the federal enconomy and will overide anything else in mind

even nrl and afl will get better facility's in the long term, just like they did with the football tournament at the 2000 olympics, where there was no lasting legacy for football itself but afl/nrl got better stadia

to think australia will never host a world cup is dulisional (sp) if its not 2018 or 2022, it will be thext one or the one after that

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your a f$&kwit for your bottom statement. If someone doesn't get pumped for soccer they fail at life??? You fail at life for saying that
I wonder how many A-League games he has attended this year?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
and use what stadiums? 10,000 seat stadiums that are run down like hell. its not possible.

i would love the world cup to be played in australia hell i even went to austria for the european cup and was at ever game of greeces but for the 2 biggest codes in this country to shut down for 8 weeks is a massive massive ask.

etihad stadium, mcg, anz stadium and sfs would just sit there and do nothing if it wasn't for the nrl and afl playing games that these stadiums.

tbh australia probably wont even get the world cup the countries they are up against are much bigger supporters of football and have more pulling power than what australia does
the country grounds are good enough for city-country plus i always hear them trying to bring nrl to the country

australia has one advantage in bidding for the world cup, in that we have never hosted it before

2018 and 2022, one will go to us and the other to europe

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with Greenburg's comments bigtime.

You gotta make way for the World Cup. It's the biggest sporting event in the world!

But to shut down all the other codes is ridiculous. By then, hopefully we could move all our Home games to Belmore :D :D :D

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
those ppl complaining are the same ppl that will be getting up at 3am in the middle of next winter watching the socceroos play at south africa

at the end of the day the FFA, the federal government and fifa will get what they want, which is a massive boost to the federal enconomy and will overide anything else in mind

even nrl and afl will get better facility's in the long term, just like they did with the football tournament at the 2000 olympics, where there was no lasting legacy for football itself but afl/nrl got better stadia

to think australia will never host a world cup is dulisional (sp) if its not 2018 or 2022, it will be thext one or the one after that
what a massive generalisation. quite a few people dont give a ****.

The Fifa World Cup is one of the biggest sporting events in the world, but it is not realistic to shut down the AFL and NRL for it. Some other arrangement would have to be made.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
im a huge fan of the world cup but it would be pretty stupid to shut down all other codes for it tbh

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
if fifa gives belmore a 50 million dollar facelift then im all for it :p but obviously it wont hehe.

im thinking of going to lebanon around the world cup time, i was t lebanon during the last world cup and it was the best

lebo_roo

Waterboy
Reaction score
has anyone at fifa or ffa actually been qouted in saying that other codes need to be shut down or is just the usual hysteria from telecrap

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
sorry soccer can go and get f*cked. i dont wanna have 8 weeks of bullsh*t wogball disrupting a potential premiership.

take your round ball and gtfo of this country.
Agree 100 percent with this bloke.

Soccer is for *****s and watching it is even worse.

S

Snake Jailbird

Agree 100 percent with this bloke.

Soccer is for *****s and watching it is even worse.
Yeah ur just an idiot though dude, u have no bearing

Fifa world cup is the biggest event in the world.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
We all saw with Parra the nature of oz fans. If we host the wc there will be a lot of people jumping on the wagon.

If RL is smart we could the FFA to randsom and demand big $$$ to postpone the comp.

Didn't the league have to be postponed because of the olympics?

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
a fifa world cup match at belmore sports ground, who would have thought?:p

but i doubt they will use belmore, more likely they will upgrade places like adelaide, perth and newcastle which will still make the nrl and afl happy
So do i :(...

But really the amount of money that Fifa could into Australia might give the government enough incentive to help us rebuild Belmore...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We don't have a chance in hell of getting it for a few reasons:
1. Too far awa from other countries that are competing.
2. We do not fit FIFA criteria as a country that can host the World Cup.

In order to fit FIFA criteria for World Cup selection, your country must have 4 stadiums that seat 80,000 people, and 10 stadiums that seat 40,000.

To be honest I don't think we have that at the moment, and without a ****load of money don't think we ever will.

Etihad Stadium, Lang Park, Suncorp, MCG, and ANZ Stadium are about the largest I can think of in Australia.

But even with them not many other places can take 40,000 outdoor!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
We don't have a chance in hell of getting it for a few reasons:
1. Too far awa from other countries that are competing.
2. We do not fit FIFA criteria as a country that can host the World Cup.

In order to fit FIFA criteria for World Cup selection, your country must have 4 stadiums that seat 80,000 people, and 10 stadiums that seat 40,000.

To be honest I don't think we have that at the moment, and without a ****load of money don't think we ever will.

Etihad Stadium, Lang Park, Suncorp, MCG, and ANZ Stadium are about the largest I can think of in Australia.

But even with them not many other places can take 40,000 outdoor!
you should recheck your information because south africa are hosting this next world cup with only 1 stadium over 80,000

germany hosted it without an 80,000 stadium and brazil only has 1

is there a country in the world that has 4 80,000 capacity stadiums besides america or england?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
you should recheck your information because south africa are hosting this next world cup with only 1 stadium over 80,000

germany hosted it without an 80,000 stadium and brazil only has 1

is there a country in the world that has 4 80,000 capacity stadiums besides america or england?
Well thats what I thought, but according to the paper that was the criteria.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Well thats what I thought, but according to the paper that was the criteria.
the journalist probably just imagined that stipulation:p

the only other situation is it is a brand new fifa rule for 2014 onwards, but i doubt that

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay here are some interesting things I have found:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/media/newsid=11128.html

The basic requirements for 2006 stadia are:

Capacity:
The minimum requirement is 40,000 seats for group, second round and quarter-final matches; and 60,000 seats for the opening game, semi-finals, third place play-off and Final. In addition, the VIP stand must seat a mini-mum of 1,000 people in the early rounds, increasing to 2,500 for the Final.
That could be where the paper got similar figures from. Given Aus doesn't have that many stadiums with 40,000 seats, could make the games interesting.

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/sort_sport.php?sport=3

Here is the inspection report from Brazil 2014 World Cup.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/mission/inspectionreport_e_24841.pdf

Note it states there is USD 1.1 billion required to bring stadiums up to scratch. How Brazil can do that I don't know, but they have a lot of large stadiums there already it seems (from the report).

and finally this:

Source: UK World Cup Feasibliity Study

The following stadium infrastructure specifications are likely to be required in a future World Cup
bid:
  • eight to twelve stadia are required;
  • prospective stadia must have the following capacity:
    (a) for group matches, the round of 16 and the quarter finals (excluding media and VIPs) – a minimum of 40,000 people; and
    (b) for the opening match, semi-finals and final (excluding media and VIPs) – a minimum of 60,000 people;
  • prospective stadia must be seated with no perimeter fences;
  • there must be a natural turf pitch measuring at least 105x68 metres, with a further 7.5 metres between the pitch and spectators behind each goal and 6 metres around the side touchlines;
  • a minimum of 10 technical and administrative rooms must be available; and
  • a choice of training grounds, in good condition, close to competitor’s living quarters must be available.

In order to meet the FIFA requirements but also to maximise the revenue
available to the host organisation, the capacity of stadia is extremely important. For the 2006 World Cup the average capacity was 50,000, allowing a total of 3.2m tickets to be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.