Votes: 344 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 8.3%

• Total voters

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because he didn’t get sacked.

You can talk pedantics all you like and are probably right. But bottom line is it was an agreement to part ways, not a sacking.
Yep spot on.

Pretty obvious the club was worried about an unfair dismissal claim so this was best for both parties.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
‘Certainly on their radar’: Tigers eye troubled duo but it ‘all hinges’ on Madge call

Adam Elliott is on the lookout for a new NRL club and could find a lifeline in the form of the Wests Tigers.

That is according to The Australian’s Brent Read, who told Triple Mon Saturday that Elliott’s situation is being closely monitored by the Tigers and he is not the only one.

Rather, there is also talk former Canberra Raiders and Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott is another target.

“I think that is something they will begin to resolve early next week,” Read said of Elliott’s future.

“His manager Dave Riolo has been talking to clubs about him and gauging interest. He will have no trouble finding a club and the Tigers are one club watching the situation pretty closely.

“There is talk about Curtis Scott. Madge was keen on Curtis Scott from what I understand.”

Of course, that will be dependant on whether Michael Maguire will remain Tigers coach in 2022 and beyond.

“It probably hinges to an extend on what happens with the coach,” Read added.

“I think he’s had players come out and support in the latter stages of the week. James Tamou has been supporting Madge, Luciano Leilua as well. It has probably helped him.

“I genuinely think it hangs in the balance. My sense was he was but in the latter stages of this week I started to think the pendulum was swinging back a bit.”

He did though add that Elliott is “certainly on their radar” and that regardless the former Bulldogs forward will figure in the NRL again next year.

It was announced on Friday night that Elliott and the Bulldogs came to a mutual agreement to part ways after his latest off-field incident involving NRLW player Millie Boyle.

Scott, meanwhile, was sacked by the Raiders earlier this season after a nightclub incident saw him charged with assault and fined $15,000 by the NRL.

Canberra said in a statement at the time it had terminated Scott’s contract effective immediately due to his “prior behaviour and recent assault charge.”

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ll bet it went down like this:

We told him he wouldn’t be playing NRL or indeed any football for The Dogs again and there’s two ways we can do this -

We sack you, and then you can look at your legal options. If you take us to court we’ll back ourselves but in the meantime until it’s resolved we’ve got your wage on our SC and you’re not playing NRL and legal bills are stacking up on both sides.

Or we can come to an agreement and end it tonight and go our seperate ways.

And Elliot choose the latter.

So sacked, not sacked.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

We told him he wouldn’t be playing NRL or indeed any football for The Dogs again and there’s two ways we can do this -

We sack you, and then you can look at your legal options. If you take us to court we’ll back ourselves but in the meantime until it’s resolved we’ve got your wage on our SC and you’re not playing NRL and legal bills are stacking up on both sides.

So sacked, not sacked.
I can guarantee this is how it played out mate, having been on this side of the fence of similar situations before (the clubs), there are multiple legal scenarios at play and an “offer” is preferred to save costly legal proceedings and also drawn out delays for both parties.

It’s in the best interests of both club/employee to go their seperate ways and move forward via the shortest route.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You are obviously a kind and compassionate individual and I have nothing but respect for you. But I think your assessment of Adam is incorrect.

Overcoming a drinking problem is always going to involve a few slip ups. That doesn’t mean a person won’t come good. Adam admitted he had a problem earlier this year and if you listen to those who have been closest to him this year, he went 7 months without a drink. To ke, thst shows personal accountability and positive intent and those qualities will get him to a better place. He made a mistake. He decided he could have a few drinks responsibly and ended up revisiting his bingeing ways a bit. I’m sure he will have learnt from this experience.

People who are recovering from addiction or binge like tendencies make mistakes and real families stick by them. I’ll always support the club, but this was a business decision. It wasn’t about Adam’s welfare. The days of the family club are long gone.
The Dogs arent a real family, they are a business.
Anywho's, perhaps losing his contract is the best thing that could have happened to him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

So sacked, not sacked.
Spot on

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Billionaire sponsor’s anger at Adam Elliott axing at Canterbury Bulldogs | Daily Telegraph

Phil Rothfield
Billionaire publican and club sponsor Arthur Laundy has spoken of his disappointment over the sacking of Adam Elliott from the Canterbury Bulldogs.

“I’ve told the club I’m extremely disappointed,” Laundy said.

“I don’t like kicking a person when they’re down. The guy’s had some problems, all of them alcohol-related, not criminal. It was stupidity more than anything else. He gets a few beers on board and has problems with that.”

Laundy revealed he contacted Bulldogs chairman John Khoury, general manager Phil Gould and board member Joe Thomas to try to save Elliott.

“I argued my point the best I could,” Laundy said. “Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve had a lot of experience over 60 years with this sort of thing from being in pubs.

“I’ve always tried hard to assist people with their problems but they thought he’d had enough chances. I’ve got to accept it’s their decision.”

Laundy said it would not affect his commitment to the club as major sponsor on the front of the Bulldogs jersey. He has mentored Elliott since the beginning of the season and insists they will remain close.

“We’ve talked every Thursday afternoon,” Laundy said. “He was off the grog for over seven months. He’s an intelligent guy. He’s a physiotherapist. He was a school captain. I honestly think he’s a good person.”

Laundy gave The Sunday Telegraph a copy of a text message Elliott had sent him.

“I know I said it earlier mate but I don’t want you to think it’s just words. Can’t say how much I appreciate your mentorship and support. I promise, no matter what, I’ll make you proud from here on end.”

Laundy replied: “You are my buddy and always will be.”
Why is our sponsor talking to the press about internal Dog matters?
Why hasnt this been addressed as it isnt the first time?
How is this acceptable?
He is undermining the board
He is feeding the enemy ammo that loves nothing more than to hurt our Club.
I thought we were past amateur hour.

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dogs arent a real family, they are a business.
Anywho's, perhaps losing his contract is the best thing that could have happened to him.
I agree mate and have had this conversation a number of times with mates who go for other clubs. They’re all corporations now - it’s a nice romantic notion, the whole family club piece but I feel as the NRL push their “product” the lack of consultation with fans (the key consumers/stakeholders) is mind-boggling and contributing to the low number of fans being engaged with the NRL.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree mate and have had this conversation a number of times with mates who go for other clubs. They’re all corporations now - it’s a nice romantic notion, the whole family club piece but I feel as the NRL push their “product” the lack of consultation with fans (the key consumers/stakeholders) is mind-boggling and contributing to the low number of fans being engaged with the NRL.
Very well put.
Players openly saying in pressers for years its a business when speaking of Club loyalty, its a 2 way street.
As for the NRL, they've gone too far now.
Too many rule changes in the last couple of years, the fans don't like it and aren't heard, not even the coaches are allowed to publicly question the NRL.
Its a dictatorship.
Repeatedly watching your team get destroyed with cricket scores isn't good for the game.
It will be very interesting to see membership numbers next year for all Clubs.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How is this acceptable?
This is what I believe why
Laundy the opportunist knows there are no more freebies or discounts for him and soon he will be lucky to be a minor sponsor, his free ride gifted by his friends the Andersons & Co is over.
Now the architect of the KIA sponsor Warburton is back in control and working on a real sponsor and name worthy of being on our proud jersey...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just looking at the article above imagine the tigpies do sign him and Scott. If only they held onto Joey Leilua and Russell Packer they'd have some really classy individuals there.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well put.
Players openly saying in pressers for years its a business when speaking of Club loyalty, its a 2 way street.
Too many rule changes in the last couple of years, the fans don't like it and aren't heard, not even the coaches are allowed to publicly question the NRL.
Its a dictatorship.
Repeatedly watching your team get destroyed with cricket scores isn't good for the game.
To be fair when you run last (or equal last) 2 years in a row none of the players deserve to be shown loyalty.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just looking at the article above imagine the tigpies do sign him and Scott. If only they held onto Joey Leilua and Russell Packer they'd have some really classy individuals there.
That's what I call great management...
This way they will never miss Packer or Leilua :tearsofjoy:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair when you run last (or equal last) 2 years in a row none of the players deserve to be shown loyalty.
Even worse when some of these players show total self and club disrespect !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very well put.
Its a dictatorship.
Business is destroying Loyalty !
Rules changes and refs are destroying the game !
Fans and members are the victims :rage:

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How is this acceptable?
Laundy wants to be our version of Nick Politis but hasn't earned the right yet to get involved in the way our club is run. I'm happy he's sponsoring us but a sponsor needs to be at arms length of the day to day running of the club.

The club supported Elliott on 2 previous occasions but he unfortunately he didn't seem to learn from that experience. I wish him well with getting his life back on track but ultimately that is completely up to him.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would still be the tigers though shit *****