News ‘He’s not an NRL halfback’: Buzz’s Bulldogs call amid club’s 1-3 start

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs slumped to their third loss of the season after going down to the Rabbitohs on Good Friday, and The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield has panned the club’s poor recruitment in the halves.

Souths won the game despite the Bulldogs dominating the possession and the tackles inside opposition 20 count (42-18).

Rothfield noted that the Bulldogs had “no one to manage the attack” and should have been able to capitalise better.

Coach Cameron Ciraldo named Drew Hutchison as the Round 1 starter, and while he looked quite good in the win over the lowly Titans last week, the Bulldogs halfback failed to inspire much against the Rabbitohs.

“Hutchison is a goer and tries hard every week. But he’s not a week-in, week-out NRL halfback,” Rothfield wrote in his Monday Buzz column.

“They are lacking cohesion and communication.”

Defensively, the Bulldogs are far and away a better side than what they were in 2023 when they leaked the most points in the comp.

This season, they’ve only conceded 71 points across four games (just under 18ppg). It’s a noticeable improvement which Ciraldo can hang his hat on, however, the lack of points in them despite boasting the likes of Matt Burton, Stephen Crichton, Viliame Kikau and Josh Addo-Carr, is a little alarming.

Rothfield praised the Bulldogs for landing players of this caliber, but stressed that without a decent to quality halfback, all the talent in the world won’t matter.

“You look at the halves the Bulldogs have used since Phil Gould started in 2021. Drew Hutchison, Toby Sexton, Kyle Flanagan, Matt Burton, Jake Averillo and Brandon Wakeham,” Rothfield said.

“They threw millions at Mitchell Moses and tried to get Shaun Johnson. Both passed.

“They also tried Ben Hunt when he was unhappy and unsettled at the Dragons.

“The Bulldogs would have beaten Souths on Good Friday had their playmaking options have been better.”

Sexton hasn’t set the world on fire in his 31 NRL games, but looks to add more in attack than Hutchison as not only a runner but a creator as well.

We’ll see what Ciraldo elects to do at the selection table this week.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Special note most teams are not playing the majority of the top 8 and top 4 to open their account for the first 8 rounds (exclude titans)
The doggies if they jag another one or two wins before their first bye will make their way up the ladder.

I have watched every single game of NRL and believe if they can just complete better and tweek spine slightly we can trouble most sides.

In a non corrupt NRL world we would be at least 2/4 or 3/4.

I’m seeing a massive resolve from the team,it’s now time 6 and 7 get their acts together for the sake of the team.

Defence will still be our best offence but we gotta ice those chances.

Don’t give up we will turn our season around,when other teams get their run of hard games and injuries play a part everything changes again.

Still need to try win our home games and get an upset here and their.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hutch is more of a halfback than Taaffe is a fullback.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe this media attention on us might fire the idiots up!!

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Surely we could have picked up Sezer for not much? Still better than any half we have currently and has loads of experience? Probably would have come for peanuts to come back to the Dogs.
Asked for a release when has been signed hodgkinson and Keating.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He isn't wrong on our halves needing to be better even an old drunk can figure that out. It's the constant articles and nonsense he writes about our club and gus that annoys me. Forever being negative and trying to destabilise the club. Will celbrate the day he pops off the perfh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This flop why doesn’t he write about the rabbits or how the tigers flogged his sharks?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate Buzz all you want but he is correct in this article…HUTCHINSON is not an nrl halfback and if we had a decent half back I think we win on Friday. Ciraldo has to swallow his ego and pla Sexton. we need a game manager and Sexton is the best that we have at the moment. The problem as Anastasia and others alluded on NRL 360 is that there are no quality half backs on the market. But we did have a go at Luai and Moses but couldn’t convince them to come…we needed to offer them overs and GOULD chose not to. But what worries me is that our juniors are at least 2-3 years away from NRL. What do we do in the meantime?

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate Buzz all you want but he is correct in this article…HUTCHINSON is not an nrl halfback and if we had a decent half back I think we win on Friday. Ciraldo has to swallow his ego and pla Sexton. we need a game manager and Sexton is the best that we have at the moment. The problem as Anastasia and others alluded on NRL 360 is that there are no quality half backs on the market. But we did have a go at Luai and Moses but couldn’t convince them to come…we needed to offer them overs and GOULD chose not to. But what worries me is that our juniors are at least 2-3 years away from NRL. What do we do in the meantime?
Sit back a twiddle our thumbs as many on this forum are happy with I guess...That 10 year plan is not looking far fetched now is it? Follow an English Premier League side and subscribe to Optus Sport. It's given me a new focus! Way better product IMHO.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We make up the numbers like every other team in the comp except for Panther.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely we could have picked up Sezer for not much? Still better than any half we have currently and has loads of experience? Probably would have come for peanuts to come back to the Dogs.
Why would he have come back for peanuts. I don’t get this statement people say. He’d go to the highest offer. I agree he has experience, still don’t think he very good. Won’t judge him though for a few more weeks. Tackled well today but thought was average in a few areas.