Opinion Zac Montgomery

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Any chance this bloke will do a Preston this year. A prop who looked good in Flegg for roosters with Preston and he is still only 20/21. Looks to have a good one on one tackle as well.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He honestly didn’t look great at the start of the year in Cup, but think he was out of position. Definitely made an impact in the little Flegg I saw at the back end of the year though. Not sure if he goes all the way.

Gus singled out Sam Hughes as his 2024 Preston.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
He honestly didn’t look great at the start of the year in Cup, but think he was out of position. Definitely made an impact in the little Flegg I saw at the back end of the year though. Not sure if he goes all the way.

From the Cup stats I saw they were playing him everywhere, second row and even wing, that is why I put some Flegg highlights up. It is hard to tell how big he is but probs needs a few years to get to about 105 kg at least if he is going to play prop in the NRL. Wish they would update the websites with that info.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
From the Cup stats I saw they were playing him everywhere, second row and even wing, that is why I put some Flegg highlights up. It is hard to tell how big he is but probs needs a few years to get to about 105 kg at least if he is going to play prop in the NRL. Wish they would update the websites with that info.
bumped into him in Round 1 at Brookvale, he was a kinda lanky tall fella, not that solid though. Still a pup and growing.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He was very meh in Cup. Lipoi Hopoi I thought was good although made some stupid hail mary shit plays with dumb offloads and errors

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Plenty of potential. A lot of aggression in his play. Agree with NPC 83 at least 12 months away.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was very meh in Cup. Lipoi Hopoi I thought was good although made some stupid hail mary shit plays with dumb offloads and errors
Hopoi and Todd will lead our pack one day with Hayes. All freaks.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Yeah I remeber reading a rap about Hughes when he was at Parra. I think he was a Sharks junior. But the article compared Hughes to Gillard Cambell in size and Matty Scott in defence and ability to get through the line. That seems a good combination if he can live that that expectation.

I don't mind Montomery either from what I have seen. If he is like Preston with same attitude then he will be good. From the video he looks like he has aggression and power. The way he ripped the ball out of the oppositions grip showed his strength and determination. NOt the biggest prop by the looks if anyone knows his weight and height. But props like Fisher Harris aren't big but they are powerful.

Now that we have missed out on ST and theres no other options the prop position is up for grabs for whoever performs.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Lets not get too carried away about Sam Hughes. Let's wait until he is able to play 2 x 20mins in 10+ games straight and then make judgements about him. He has absolutely definitely got the potential but this doesn't mean sh*t unles he is actually on the field.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope Gould is right about this being the breakout year for Hughes. We've certainly recruited some quality over the last few years. But not all of those recent recruits who've won fans over have come with initial recognition or fanfare. So I'll be very happy if Hughes joins the growing list of unknowns that we turn into quality.

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree with others. Montgomery was average in Cup but used more on an edge. Went back to Flegg as a middle and showed a lot of promise. Raw, aggressive type will need to fill out some more and play more Cup in the middle, then see where he's at mid year.. I think Todd and Hopoi are ahead of him personally and i hope Josh Kalati is still with us as i think he's ahead of them all at this point.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Gould is right about this being the breakout year for Hughes. We've certainly recruited some quality over the last few years. But not all of those recent recruits who've won fans over have come with initial recognition or fanfare. So I'll be very happy if Hughes joins the growing list of unknowns that we turn into quality.
If Hughes can step up this year. With the lack of big bodies coming in he could be a difference in our season prospects. I was impressed with what I saw of him in 2023. Reality is we need him and a few others to have breakouts.

What ever happened to the Booth kid that was coming through? Is he still with us?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Hughes can step up this year. With the lack of big bodies coming in he could be a difference in our season prospects. I was impressed with what I saw of him in 2023. Reality is we need him and a few others to have breakouts.

What ever happened to the Booth kid that was coming through? Is he still with us?
Matalavea Booth I think it is. Pretty sure I recall reading that he's left. Could be wrong though

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matalavea Booth I think it is. Pretty sure I recall reading that he's left. Could be wrong though
Booth is still around will have a delayed start has not fully recovered from his bad ankle/leg injury. Gould posted update a while back.

Reactions: CMP