Your Round 1 Team?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
agree with this. gotta be worried about Taaffe, but will probably just be putting it down to a bad night and working on getting his confidence back up.
He dropped couple of kicks with no pressure. That’s like the easiest part of he’s game. I’d be thinking it was a one off, thankfully happened in the trials, and he be given another opportunity. Moses does have a lethal kicking game though!!!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He dropped couple of kicks with no pressure. That’s like the easiest part of he’s game. I’d be thinking it was a one off, thankfully happened in the trials, and he be given another opportunity. Moses does have a lethal kicking game though!!!
Moses is going to pepper him all night with the high kicks

Once Taffe put down the first bomb [emoji378] knew he was going to put down more and he went downhill fast after that ….Ciro should have hooked him after the second fk up

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Once Taffe put down the first bomb [emoji378] knew he was going to put down more and he went downhill fast after that ….Ciro should have hooked him after the second fk up
I was thinking the same thing, but Ciro’s reaction (or non-reaction in this case) tells me is that he’s going to start him Round 1. He was probably tempted (to hook him) but didn’t want to impact his confidence going into Round 1.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but Ciro’s reaction (or non-reaction in this case) tells me is that he’s going to start him Round 1. He was probably tempted (to hook him) but didn’t want to impact his confidence going into Round 1.
Taaffe will be tested by Moses for sure.
Before the trials it looked like Ciraldo needed to choose from three players for two positions: Taaffe, Tracey and Xerri to fill the FB/centre spots.
But Taaffe is now an obvious target for Moses R1 - there must be some doubt about starting him at FB for R1.
Playing Tracey at FB might be just as risky.
Looking at the Eels backline & kicking game, is there a case for Crichton at FB?
Tracey and Xerri can then both play in the centres.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My team if I can pick, and assuming only Sutton is unavailable:

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Critta (c)
5. Fox
6. Burton (k)
7. Hutch
8. King
9. Reed
10. Farmersilly
11. Kiks
12. Presto
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. IBS
16. Hughes
17. Kautoga

19. Sexyton

Broad subs plan:
Hughes and IBS on for the two props around 20-25 minutes. IBS to open the attack some more, Curran goes to more of a prop role.
Kautoga on at around 50 minutes for either Kiks or Presto, which ever needs a breather, then whoever gets a breather goes back on for the other 15 minutes later depending on game situation. Want to give Kautoga a chance to make an impact, lift the team with his defense, and starting feeling confident at this level, as I like him as a replacement if Kiks or Presto get injured/suspended.
Mann on for Reed with about 25 or 20 to go, starting props back on as well.

Mann and IBS provide flexibility if someone goes off injured. If we lose someone to HIA Sexyton can come in and play in the halves, Hutch to 9 or centre, or 5/8 with Burts to FB, depending on what needs covering.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Was there not just the two drops, Or am I missing a few? I don’t count the subsequent 40/20 as a mistake just a good kick, and at least he had the awareness and tried to stop it

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Taaffe will be tested by Moses for sure.
Before the trials it looked like Ciraldo needed to choose from three players for two positions: Taaffe, Tracey and Xerri to fill the FB/centre spots.
But Taaffe is now an obvious target for Moses R1 - there must be some doubt about starting him at FB for R1.
Playing Tracey at FB might be just as risky.
Looking at the Eels backline & kicking game, is there a case for Crichton at FB?
Tracey and Xerri can then both play in the centres.
If there’s any doubt in Tracey health then the best thing Ciro could do is put Wilson at the back as he’s done the hard yards all summer and played virtually two full games in the trials.

That way Kiraz wing and Xerri right centre which means we have 3 capable backs that can make strong carries from kick returns etc

The other unlikely option is Ciro throws in Papalii who to me wouldn’t let anyone down if given that opportunity…..he’s going to end up as our fullback down the track and is easily the most talented of all our options

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parra will be watching video sessions …

If Taaffe as you say was dropping them with no pressure .. how’s he going to go now they know to apply the pressure, Moses timing his lethal kicking game, and players running hard at him ..

They’ll be sniffing out points there ..

I hope they’ve had him taking Burtons bombs all week with players running at him.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im hoping CC goes with Sexy over Hutch even though Parra are pretty big in the middle i think Sexy is more of a half

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im hoping CC goes with Sexy over Hutch even though Parra are pretty big in the middle i think Sexy is more of a half

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

If Taaffe as you say was dropping them with no pressure .. how’s he going to go now they know to apply the pressure, Moses timing his lethal kicking game, and players running hard at him ..

I hope they’ve had him taking Burtons bombs all week with players running at him.
I’d have thought he’s been catching burtons bombs all off season. I’m saying that was a one off and will be fine. Hoping as much as saying. If he’d been dropping them all pre season at training Ciro wouldn’t have played him there surely.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven’t really had a good look at Sexton, have we, he looked fast and sharp second half against Melbourne, but that was against their juniors … and he really didn’t get much of a look in against Sharks ..

I’d of thought the game plan against Parra would be move the ball and tire them out, would think Sexton would be better for that style ..

But I haven’t watched him all pre-season so I’m sure coach knows best ..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure how many videos they will need mate.

Both games last year they just steamrolled us up the middle and then Moses carved us up on the back of that. 30 - 4 and 34 - 12.

Also towards the back end of 2022 they smashed us 42 - 6. I cant seem them varying the way they play against much.

Our only decent performance against them in decent memory was earlier in 2022 when TPJ had his 1 and only good game for us and took it to the parra pack. I think they underestimated us that day because we were running last.

Their strength is their middle forwards and their halves. Those still remain our 2 biggest weaknesses and that's why they have belted us the past few years.

It will be a good test for us though. Last year all teams with a decent pack completely destroyed us. Hopefully we have worked on something in the off season to stop that happening every time we play someone with good go forward.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know Taaffe had a couple of errors, but his overall game wasn't that bad. His positional play and support was passable.
His confidence was down and it showed. He would have been given a workout at training catching bombs.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My team if I can pick, and assuming only Sutton is unavailable:

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Critta (c)
5. Fox
6. Burton (k)
7. Hutch
8. King
9. Reed
10. Farmersilly
11. Kiks
12. Presto
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. IBS
16. Hughes
17. Kautoga

19. Sexyton

Broad subs plan:
Hughes and IBS on for the two props around 20-25 minutes. IBS to open the attack some more, Curran goes to more of a prop role.
Kautoga on at around 50 minutes for either Kiks or Presto, which ever needs a breather, then whoever gets a breather goes back on for the other 15 minutes later depending on game situation. Want to give Kautoga a chance to make an impact, lift the team with his defense, and starting feeling confident at this level, as I like him as a replacement if Kiks or Presto get injured/suspended.
Mann on for Reed with about 25 or 20 to go, starting props back on as well.

Mann and IBS provide flexibility if someone goes off injured. If we lose someone to HIA Sexyton can come in and play in the halves, Hutch to 9 or centre, or 5/8 with Burts to FB, depending on what needs covering.
If history is an indication of what is to happen CC will stick by the people he selected for the 2nd trial bar the players that missed out because of injuries,
I would select this team:
1 Taaffe on notice
2 Kiraz
3 Crichton
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Burton on notice
7 Sexton
8 King
9 Mahoney
10 Hughes
11 Preston
12 Kikau
13 Curran
-------------------
14 Hutchison
15 Salmon
16 Faamasuli
17 Kautoga we need heavy impact off the bench

Last edited:

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven’t really had a good look at Sexton, have we, he looked fast and sharp second half against Melbourne, but that was against their juniors … and he really didn’t get much of a look in against Sharks ..

I’d of thought the game plan against Parra would be move the ball and tire them out, would think Sexton would be better for that style ..

But I haven’t watched him all pre-season so I’m sure coach knows best ..
Did you see Josh Reynolds talking him up on a interview some footy podcast he had good things to say about him would be his halfback

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If history is an indication of what is to happen CC will stick by the people he selected for the 2nd trial bar the players that missed out because of injuries,
I would select this team:
1 Taaffe on notice
2 Kiraz
3 Crichton
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Burton on notice
7 Sexton
8 King
9 Mahoney
10 Hughes
11 Preston
12 Kikau
13 Curran
-------------------
14 Hutchison
15 Salmon
16 Faamasuli
17 Kautoga we need heavy impact of the bench
I wouldnt be disappointed with that team but none will be on notice

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Faamasuli will start with King, reckon CC is aware of his limitations and will look to use him when the whole defence is fresh to reduce impact of him getting tired. Hence at kick off and towards the end of the game when everyone else (including opposition) is also tired

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The first six weeks of the draw are much tougher than the second six rounds, which might a big factor in the team for round 1.
Eels, Sharks, Titans, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Storm. That's a tough way to open the season.
Ciraldo could just use experienced players, no matter what their current form or readiness is. Rather than risk the younger players having their confidence destroyed.
Players like Wilson, Clarke, Papali'i, Hayward and Kautoga might be better off being kept in cryogenic storage (ie NSW Cup) until Rd 7?
Along with Taaffe and Sexton?
Then bring the younger guys in for Knights, (bye) and Tigers, before Panthers, Raiders, Dragons and Knights.