Your Round 1 Team?

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
What we saw from preseason really got me confused. Raised more answers about our key positions. Tasfe and Reed look low on confidence. Salmon put his hand up, while Curran was Meh to would to have liked to see some hard runs from him. I think taafe has played himself out of the team. Salmon played well but I don’t think we should play our style. Seeing as we have Reed and some of the best 2-5 and 11 and 12s in the game we should be shoooting 20 m passes from dummy half to our backs giving them time and space. I think on the trials we played through the middle way too much.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For me there was positive signs during both trials. Sure there was some frustrating moments but I'm putting it down to abit of rust, nerves from finally transferring theory into practice, maybe also depth and competition for spots. We just gotta click in attack which I hope in turn raises confidence. Having said that I have some concerns about critta and hope he is fit. Same for kiraz and tracy who I think will make a difference if and when they take the field.

Im so keen now to see how we go against parra, it'll be a good line in the sand. I havent watched the trial against Titans (I'll try to) but apparently they went well. Its maybe looking like a defensive slug fest like the sharkies match which I dont mind but we gotta get some flow with the ball...come on Headmaster JT - put some WD, RP47 or what ever lube you think will get some of the attacking cogs turning.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing both trials at least twice and what I heard from pre season my round 1 team to face the Eels would be this

1. Tracey (Worried about his lack of game time but he gives us the best chance of winning- Taafe confidence will be shot after the Sharks trial)
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri (he’s proved me wrong he is good to go)
4. Critta c
5. Addo Carr
6. Burton
7. Sexton

8. King
9. Reed (needs to stop overplaying his hand and stifling attack)
10. Faamausili
11. Preston
12. Kikau
13. Salmon

14. Hayward (stint Reed)
15. Curran
16. Hughes
17. Kitione Kautoga

18. Mann
I was going to post my line up … but it would of just been a copy and paste of this one .. [emoji106]

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Alot of people will hate on this, but its a good mix of youth and experience.

01. Joash Papalii
02. Jacob Kiraz
03. Stephen Crichton
04. Matt Burton
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Joseph O'Neill
07. Toby Sexton
08. Max King
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Poasa Faamausili
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jacob Preston
13. Josh Curran

14. Kurt Mann
15. Jaeman Salmon
16. Drew Hutchinson
17. Samuel Hughes

18. Bronson Xerri
We wish

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't care who Ciraldo selects in 1, 7 and 13 as long as they get the ball out wide without taking several steps sideways.
Crichton, Kikau, JAC, Preston, Burton and even Xerri are among the best in the game at timing their runs, breaking tackles and getting into open space.
They simply need the ball in their hands without having to adjust their runs.
All the ball players need to do is get the ball to them as quickly and possible.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep top team
That’s literally the same side I went with also . Put it in this thread also . Most balanced squad we can have Atm. Poasa needs to be a bench rotation player and katouga is a must for his size and mobility for a big boy.
Tracey is better than Taaffe always been a better player . Sexton or Hutchinson it doesn’t bother me as both are bog average . Curran is better than Salmon ( who should only come on to plays edge role if needed )

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought some people here said everyone is now available from r1. Why did foxsports wrote below? Written by someone who has no clue?

Poasa Faamausili was very impressive in the pre-season trials, but he’s currently on a development contract meaning he can’t feature in first grade until Round 11.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Whichever way you move the variables, 2/3 of the starting side are depth players.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought some people here said everyone is now available from r1. Why did foxsports wrote below? Written by someone who has no clue?

Poasa Faamausili was very impressive in the pre-season trials, but he’s currently on a development contract meaning he can’t feature in first grade until Round 11.
Not true, Supplementary Players (previously Development Players) can play from Round 1. Only Train and Trial players are limited to Round 11.

Always a Bulldog

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't care who Ciraldo selects in 1, 7 and 13 as long as they get the ball out wide without taking several steps sideways.
Crichton, Kikau, JAC, Preston, Burton and even Xerri are among the best in the game at timing their runs, breaking tackles and getting into open space.
They simply need the ball in their hands without having to adjust their runs.
All the ball players need to do is get the ball to them as quickly and possible.
It’s not a matter of getting them the ball as quick as possible. It’s a case of playing straight, going deep into the line prepared to be hit. Ball in both hands attracting defenders giving the outside men space to work with. The halves need to show courage.

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Tracey
2. Kiraz (Wilson/Skelton both pressing though)
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Posa
16. Morrin
17. Salmon

18th Man: Hutchinson

Honestly think we are just two players short of really competing against the better teams, really need a quality half which i am hoping Mitch Woods can be for us and an alpha forward to be a leader in the pack.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sivo looking at extended break on sideline. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s not a matter of getting them the ball as quick as possible. It’s a case of playing straight, going deep into the line prepared to be hit. Ball in both hands attracting defenders giving the outside men space to work with. The halves need to show courage.
Couldn't agree more.
Just trying to keep my posts a bit shorter.
It drives me nuts watching players like Kikau, Preston, Crichton, Xerri and JAC all flat footed and cramped for room on the edges.
In fact, if this can't be fixed then Crichton might be better off at fullback.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have a good assortment of backs. We just need them to play as backs.
I couldnt understand the game plan, if there was one in the Sharks trial.
Let the forwards be forwards and the backs to be backs.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
SIVO facing 3 match ban if he takes the early guilty plea. Grade 2 charge.

Eels have until 12pm Tuesday to respond to the charge.

The footage didn't look great, I missed it live but watched the replay of it now. Looks like clear shoulder to the head contact of Brimson.

At least anyone going to the game won't have to hear the SIIIIVOOO chant at Wankfest. If he was to play it's a guaranteed hattrick or double.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What we saw from preseason really got me confused. Raised more answers about our key positions. Tasfe and Reed look low on confidence. Salmon put his hand up, while Curran was Meh to would to have liked to see some hard runs from him. I think taafe has played himself out of the team. Salmon played well but I don’t think we should play our style. Seeing as we have Reed and some of the best 2-5 and 11 and 12s in the game we should be shoooting 20 m passes from dummy half to our backs giving them time and space. I think on the trials we played through the middle way too much.
You sound confused. Curran smashed out 100+ metres and setup a try in about 20 minutes of footy for us. Not sure what you were watching.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
SIVO facing 3 match ban if he takes the early guilty plea. Grade 2 charge.

Eels have until 12pm Tuesday to respond to the charge.

The footage didn't look great, I missed it live but watched the replay of it now. Looks like clear shoulder to the head contact of Brimson.

At least anyone going to the game won't have to hear the SIIIIVOOO chant at Wankfest. If he was to play it's a guaranteed hattrick or double.
no sivo chant thank fuk