Your Round 1 Team?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This is all true, but keep in mind he is a fullback being turned into a winger. Wingers always pigeon holed as an easy position, but it's alot different to fullback. No doubt FB is more difficult, but in the top grade it's not without his challenges, especially when you are trying to make it in a poor side and the risk of making in error is exponentially compounded
My personal pecking order for the back 5 (CC wont play Burton at centre but I have him there):

01. Stephen Crichton
02. Matt Burton
03. Josh Addo-Carr
04. Jacob Kiraz
05. Connor Tracey
06. Blake Wilson
07. Jeral Skelton
08. Bronson Xerri
09. Blake Taaffe
10. Joash Papali'i

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am really starting to think we should play a halves paring of Hutch and sexton. Burton left centre.
Agree!
this is the best combination option for the TEAM. But unfortunately other factors and factions don’t agree and will persist with the experiment until it works, or it’s too late and another season goes past us by the time it’s recognised.

I think this would see Crichton pushed to fullback. With either Xerri or Tracey on the right.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unless Kiraz is definitely 100% fit I wouldn't risk him in this trial

I think it was a reported back injury, so if any doubt , leave him out.

We saw the difference when Kiraz was fully fit at the start of last year, he was awesome chewing up the metres for us coming out of our own end

He was a shadow of that player when he was playing with his back injury, so I'm hoping they don't risk him or let his enthusiasm to get on the field come back to bite him...plus we have Wilson and Skelton ready to go

Fully fit he is a real asset to the team

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Taaffe
2. Kiraz
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hutcho
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
————
14. Sexton
15. Faamausili
16. Mann
17. Salmon

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1.Taaffe
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. Hughes
9. Mahony
10. King
11. Kiks
12. Preston
13. Salmon
14. Papalii
15. Curran
16. Poasa
17. Knight

Reactions: ATT

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d have Hayward on the bench to come on to replace Mahoney but ye it depends on what Manns role will be
I'd love to see them both play 40 minutes each next trial.. if he can replicate his form from the first trial he could (though he won't) be our best hooker option..

Ciraldo will still want to trial Mann in the 9 (which makes perfect sense) and maybe Turpin..

Personally I think we should give up on Hayward as a 7 and play him as the 9 from now on (in nsw cup if need be). We have O'Neil and Woods coming through along with a host of other halves..

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Taaffe
2. Wilson
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Faamausili
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
14. Mann
15. Hughes
16. Morrin
17. Salmon

Crashdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
1. Taaffe
2. Xerri
3. Crichton
4. Burton
5. Fox
6. Sexton
7. Hutcho
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
————
14. Knight
15. Faamausili
16. Mann
17. Salmon
We will need at least two big bodies on the bench and I reckon Knight will come good after his shocker last Thursday. We need at least three big bodies in the back five carting it out of our twenty. Burton must put his hand up to assist Xerri and Crichton or shake hands with Mick Potter!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am really starting to think we should play a halves paring of Hutch and sexton. Burton left centre.
I've been saying this since I watched the trial. The best combination for the whole team would be Sexton and Hutch. I love the way Sexton went deep into the line and Hutch kicking and ball distribution is better but more importantly Hutch is a better defender than Burton, we leaked so many trys through Burton last year.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1.Taaffe
2. Kiraz(Wilson if Jacob is not fit)
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Faamausili*
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
14. Mann
15. Hughes*
16. Morrin
17. Salmon

Could swap Hughes and Faama around also.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Taaffe
2. Xerri
3. Crichton
4. Burton
5. Fox
6. Sexton
7. Hutcho
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
————
14. Knight
15. Faamausili
16. Mann
17. Salmon
We will need at least two big bodies on the bench and I reckon Knight will come good after his shocker last Thursday. We need at least three big bodies in the back five carting it out of our twenty. Burton must put his hand up to assist Xerri and Crichton or shake hands with Mick Potter!
I don’t mind this team. The only change I would make would be Kautoga play him as a middle in the place of Knight.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I don’t mind this team. The only change I would make would be Kautoga play him as a middle in the place of Knight.
Ill give Knight another chance starting, or injected early. He had t wait till about the 60th minute on Thursday. I think he is the type of player that gets nervous sitting on the bench and then tries too hard and has errors. I would like to see him get into the game early and see how he goes.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1.Taaffe
2. Kiraz(Wilson if Jacob is not fit)
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Faamausili*
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran
14. Mann
15. Hughes*
16. Morrin
17. Salmon

Could swap Hughes and Faama around also.
This might be closest to the round one lineup (albeit one more trial for hopefuls to shine )

It wouldn’t surprise if Curran on bench and either Mann or Salmon start cos having both utilities on the bench balance wise doesn’t work as both offer the same thing unless of course Mann is exclusively used to stint Reed at 9

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can someone list all the players that are able to be chosen for round 1. That being the top 30 plus the development players or whatever they are now called.
On the dogs site there is a top 30 list but not the extended list. So if we are allowed to choose from the development players should they not be included in the first grade list? Or perhaps a supplemental list?
If it is known and someone could do that then thanks in advance. Would be handy to know especially for trying to guess the round 1 team.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On paper, our edges look impenetrable. We have very good defenders on both edges with the exception of Burton. Hopefully our middle can hold up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This might be closest to the round one lineup (albeit one more trial for hopefuls to shine )

It wouldn’t surprise if Curran on bench and either Mann or Salmon start cos having both utilities on the bench balance wise doesn’t work as both offer the same thing unless of course Mann is exclusively used to stint Reed at 9
Unless Curran is going to be spending time at prop and/or Kikau will be rotated then I don't think we need both of them.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless Curran is going to be spending time at prop and/or Kikau will be rotated then I don't think we need both of them.
Based on Salmon’s game last week. If he maintains that form against the sharks this week. I think injuries aside Curran & Salmon will rotate between starting at 13 and bench through the season. Both can cover back row to give Kiks & Preston a breather.

Which could leave Mann in tough spot. I think the original plan was to use Mann at lock and cover for Reed. With Curran and Salmon doing well they might opt for someone like Hayward to cover the utility role.

I think Mann should play a lot of minutes at 9 in the trial this week.