Your Round 1 Team?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton will be in the team, but I'm with Critta. He's terrible lol

He pulls a few good games out now and then but he just doesn't look like a half to me.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
01. Connor Tracey
02. Jacob Kiraz
03. Stephen Crichton
04. Matt Burton 9 (Burton here only because of the combo he has with JAC, otherwise, it would have been Skelton)
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Drew Hutchison
07. Toby Sexton
08. Max King
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Jon "Bones" Jones
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jacob Preston
13. Josh Curran

14. Kurt Mann
15. Jaeman Salmon
16. Kitione Kautoga
17. Samuel Hughes

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Tracey
2. JAC
3. Critta
4. Kiraz
5. Skelton
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Poasa
11. Kiks
12. Preston
13. Curran/Salmon

14. Hutch
15. Hughes
16. Kautoga
17. Morrin

Reactions: ATT

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the many reasons I would pick Hutch over Burton is he can play to the structure better than Burton.

Matt has a real problem choosing when to run or pass when there is an opportunity, plus Hutch is better in defense.
What did Hutch actually do last night though? Nothing remarkable I can remember, just like Burton. At least Burton setup Xerri though, who went very close to scoring and he almost got the ball over the line himself too.

This mind boggling view by some that Burton is hopeless all stems from the fact that he doesn’t “look” interested. Hutch touched the ball a lot last night, as did Salmon, so people think they were great. They were nothing special either. Did they create a linebreak or try? Nope. That was done by Mahoney, Wilson, Sexton/Papa/O’Neill and Heyward/Papa.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What did Hutch actually do last night though? Nothing remarkable I can remember, just like Burton. At least Burton setup Xerri though, who went very close to scoring and he almost got the ball over the line himself too.

This mind boggling view by some that Burton is hopeless all stems from the fact that he doesn’t “look” interested. Hutch touched the ball a lot last night, as did Salmon, so people think they were great. They were nothing special either. Did they create a linebreak or try? Nope. That was done by Mahoney, Wilson, Sexton/Papa/O’Neill and Heyward/Papa.
Hutchison controlled the team & moved us forward. Could've been better in the opposition 20 though.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what iv seen at training and in last nights - whoever plays 13 will be more of a five eight in attack allowing Burton to focus more on his running game, particularly inside the oppositions 40metres.

Both Mann n Salmon can play that role - pretty sure both started careers in the halves. IMHO Mann Curran and Salmon will be in the 17 somewhere (13, 14, 15?) - Mann can also play dummy half to rest Mahoney - two middles for remainder of bench - Hughes n one other)

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was centimetres from scoring after a dummy and run too, yet that’s completely ignored by the haters.
So you want people to praise him for having a run from dummy half? lmao.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im all for us to stop pretending like Burton(or anyone really) is the messiah, and to drop his flat earth uninterested dumb ass to centre or even entirely. And start REALLY building around the young kids like penrith did and won 3 in a fucking row. No one will touch that record.

We know Gus is building from the ground up. Results showing. Time to stop pretending.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree. Wighton is a strong runner but he also has a decent kicking game in general play
Wighton a decent kicker??? Haha ok.

Also, why is everyone putting Mann in their team without a single minute in a trial yet? It’s not like he’s good enough to be a certain pick.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you want people to praise him for having a run from dummy half? lmao.
Omfg, It wasn’t a run from dummy half. It was a backline move where he dummied and got to the tryline but was held up. Do you ***** even watch the game?!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Omfg, It wasn’t a run from dummy half. It was a backline move where he dummied and got to the tryline but was held up. Do you ***** even watch the game?!
My bad, I'm half asleep & read your comment as dummy half run. That's on me.

Burton played shit though & was one of our worst players. If you thought that he had a good game then you are a bad judge.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wighton a decent kicker??? Haha ok.

Also, why is everyone putting Mann in their team without a single minute in a trial yet? It’s not like he’s good enough to be a certain pick.
In most of the training sessions iv attended since Christmas - Mann has been in the fg squad - alternating between a ball playing 13 and dummy half. In some sessions guys like Knight, Curran, Edwards, Salmon, Morrin spent time in the reggies squad.

Whether or not "good enough to be picked" runs second to who Ciraldo deems as required to be picked - havent been to training for over a week - things may have changed - was surprised Curran spending time with Reggies.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100%. There is no rush or need to blood these kids like there was last year with Oluapu. Also with Tracey, Taaffe, Kiraz, Critta we have a handful of solid fullbacks/aspiring fullbacks.

I wonder if Tracey is close for the second trial? One thing I am critical about with Taaffe is his ball returns and his yardage, but he was rocketing back yesterday. Ran over 100m in the first half.

I’d like to see Tracey at fullback. Bigger body, a big more of a meter eater. I’m sure he won’t last the year (might not even be starting the year with injury) so should be plenty of chances for Taaffe if he isn’t our starting fullback. Will be hard to find a spot for the kid.
It’s nice to have options hey @boggie23 ?? I like Taffy, I just think he spoils too many opportunities. Mahoney needs to be told to focus on hooking too! You can’t have 5 players all trying to be playmaker, unless of course they all compliment each other. That said, Taffy was passing to Eli Clarke several times and the play died. May have been different with Critta there ;-) I still favour Tracey at fb though. Imo he is more dynamic and decisive.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was centimetres from scoring after a dummy and run too, yet that’s completely ignored by the haters.
I was surprised he didn’t score there. I couldn’t believe for a trial, how dedicated the Melbourne defence was.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cannot decide which is better both had great game control I’m leaning towards sexton only cause of the depth he played and how quick he is

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most of the training sessions iv attended since Christmas - Mann has been in the fg squad - alternating between a ball playing 13 and dummy half. In some sessions guys like Knight, Curran, Edwards, Salmon, Morrin spent time in the reggies squad.

Whether or not "good enough to be picked" runs second to who Ciraldo deems as required to be picked - havent been to training for over a week - things may have changed - was surprised Curran spending time with Reggies.

I can understand people like you, that have watched a number of training sessions that would pick Mann. Dunno if you did/would but obviously seeing him in training at least gives an idea how he’s gelling with the team etc. I rate him as a strong and tough player.

Again, it just shows how signing all these “utilities” was a good move. Mann is another that is interchangeable with Salmon and Curran. We have a few options in most spine positions now.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We definitely unleashed a new BEAST, round one for SURE!!
IMG_2358.jpegIMG_2357.jpeg
This guy ^^^^^^^^Love it. !!