Your Round 1 Team?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought that Taaffe had a really good game. His positional play was first class and made a lot of metres.
He will only get better with time when he gets better service from some of his team mates. I would have him over Tracey
at the moment.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Papali'i
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Crighton
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Curran
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Edwards
14. Mann
15. Salmon
16. Faamausili
17. Hughes

JAC only offers speed, Wilson offers metres. Curran to prop, Edwards to lock, strongest side defensively. Papali'i is full back, I just don't think Taffe offers enough at fullback. Burton/Hutchison and Sexton in the halves remain a major concern.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure, just not likeable lol. to me he is a storm has been, and he’s more of a show pony with no tricks. don’t like his attitude/antics. If he never played for us again I wouldn’t even mention it. We looked good today without him.
He's probably the only player in the team to create trys from nothing. Still one of the best wingers on the planet. Watch tonight to refresh your memory instead of doubling down on forgetting to include him.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Papali'i
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Crighton
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Curran
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Edwards
14. Mann
15. Salmon
16. Faamausili
17. Hughes

JAC only offers speed, Wilson offers metres. Curran to prop, Edwards to lock, strongest side defensively. Papali'i is full back, I just don't think Taffe offers enough at fullback. Burton/Hutchison and Sexton in the halves remain a major concern.
Whether or not they’re the best selections. JAC will be the first winger picked. Burton will be 6. This is a given. Curran & Salmon will swap out the lock spot looking at it. Curran isn’t a Prop. Hutch & Sexy are both different styles of players. However having two lefties in the halves isn’t great. For that reason alone I would be running with Sexton at 7.

1. Taaffe
2. Kiraz/Wilson
3. Crichton (right centre)
4. Xerri (left centre)
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Reed
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Salmon
16. Faamausili
17. Knight (needs to improve next week)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's not ruin Papalii & O'Neill. Let them develop for another year in NSW Cup.
100%. There is no rush or need to blood these kids like there was last year with Oluapu. Also with Tracey, Taaffe, Kiraz, Critta we have a handful of solid fullbacks/aspiring fullbacks.

I wonder if Tracey is close for the second trial? One thing I am critical about with Taaffe is his ball returns and his yardage, but he was rocketing back yesterday. Ran over 100m in the first half.

I’d like to see Tracey at fullback. Bigger body, a big more of a meter eater. I’m sure he won’t last the year (might not even be starting the year with injury) so should be plenty of chances for Taaffe if he isn’t our starting fullback. Will be hard to find a spot for the kid.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Sextons kicking game was much better in his time on the field tbh.
Yeah I don’t know about that, When hutch took control of the kicking in the first half Melbourne couldn’t get out of their red zone and he got at least two repeat sets, it was that period of the game that broke Melbourne in the second half for mine. He knows how to build pressure and put fatigue into a defence.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
3. Xerri / Burton
6. Burton / Hutchinson

the only real contention for me.
If both at their best they both start, however, I’m not quite convinced either is ready for their main position's yet. Burton man, I want to, but he really let us down yesterday….

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The R1 team is dependent upon next Friday's trial.
The questions to ask are:
1 Sexton or Hutchison? (Sexton brought some needed energy last night but was against a weaker side). They may swap around next Friday. My hunch is Sexton for R1.
2 Fullback. Taaffe would still seem to be favourite but with Xerri's performance last night Tracey might get a run at FB. 1st or 2nd half? Taaffe would seem to be most likely. Although where Crichton plays on Friday will be interesting.
3 It doesn't matter who starts and who is benched at prop. But King and Hughes are certainties to be 2 of the 4 needed in the 17. If Faamausili repeats what he did last night he will be one of the other 2. So who is Knight competing with for the other spot? Kautoga?
4 Will Mann lock down 14? Probably.
5 Will Edwards keep the final spot. Kautoga brought some real intensity. He has really improved on his defence. So Edwards might be under a little pressure now.

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Based of the first trial I would like to see this team

1.Tracey
2.Fox
3.Burton
4.Critta
5.Kiraz
6.Sexton
7.Hutchison
8.King
9.Mahoney
10.Hughes
11.Kikau
12.Preston
13.Salmon
14.Mann
15.Curran
16.Faamausilli
17.Kautoga

Battybulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
1. Tracey/Taaffe
2. Kiraz
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hutch (loved how he was doing the pregame talk)
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Posa
16. Knight (will be better for the run, but Morrin if he doesn’t improve next week)
17. Salmon

18. Taaffe/Tracey
19. Sexton

Really hard leaving out Wilson/ Skelton but iron sharpens iron and makes everyone better with the competition.
This is it

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I shall wait until we play the Sharks to name my team for round 1. Positives from 1st pre season trial imo, it will take time for this team to gell whoever is picked for the first round. Impressed with Jaeman Salmon produced a perfect lock forwards game with soft hands timely passes and good defence. Eli clark i thought held his own. Bronson Xerri played strong as did Kitone Kautoga. Poasa Faamausilli ran with purpose in the first half. Another suprise for me was Bailey Hayward when injected into the hooker role. Our young players showed the club is in good stead thanks to Gus and Cameron and the entire development team.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Papali'i
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Crighton
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Hutchison
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Curran
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Edwards
14. Mann
15. Salmon
16. Faamausili
17. Hughes

Not sure what happens with Burton but Sexton must be in the team. He has the potential and is at the age where you could see him taking the next step and becoming a very good half in this league. I like Hutch but we are young and building and we need someone who can grow with the team. He is a great back up half but that should be it.

This year should be the final year of development really. By the end of the season, we should have answered the following questions:

1. Is Burton good enough or should we get rid?
2. Can Xerri become the player he used to be?
3. Is Sexton a top 8 quality halfback?
4. Who is our future fullback?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Tracey/Taaffe
2. Kiraz
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hutch (loved how he was doing the pregame talk)
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Mann
15. Posa
16. Knight (will be better for the run, but Morrin if he doesn’t improve next week)
17. Salmon

18. Taaffe/Tracey
19. Sexton

Really hard leaving out Wilson/ Skelton but iron sharpens iron and makes everyone better with the competition.
Saves me typing it all out this team/17 works imo.

Too soon for Papa imo kids still only 19 should not rush him, maybe give him a debut later in the year if deserving and it works for the team.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The absolute best team possible based on last night

1. Taaffee
2. JAC
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Salmon

14. Hayward
15. Curran
16. Faamusili
17. Mann

DoggiesHOOHAA

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'd pair Hutch & Sexton in the halves, both made a very nice impact last night.

Play Burton in the centres or not at all imo. Xerri there to keep him honest as well.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The absolute best team possible based on last night

1. Taaffee
2. JAC
3. Crichton
4. Xerri
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Salmon

14. Hayward
15. Curran
16. Faamusili
17. Mann
Tracey for Taaffe and swap salmon for curran

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
For the first time in a long while, we have positions that is up for grabs a challenge for the coach to pick a starting side, a good problem to have which should bring out the best in players especially for our backs.